Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Police shoot and kill elderly woman with bat despite having taser

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2835758

Barry, an eight-year department veteran working in the 43rd Precinct, convinced her to drop the scissors, but she grabbed a wooden bat and lunged a “close distance of an amount of feet” across the narrow room at him, sources said.

“As she attempted to strike the sergeant, he fired two shots from his service revolver, striking her in the torso,” said Assistant Chief Larry Nikunen, the commanding officer of Patrol Borough Bronx.

Medics took the woman to Jacobi Hospital, where she died at 7:15 p.m.

It's unclear why he went for his gun.

Now the woman had mental issue was having an episode and was already known to the police. The cop had a taser and made no attempt to use it. Instead opting to shoot the mentally disturbed woman who they know has had past issues since they've gotten calls before.

Deleted
    a 66 yr old could still do damage with a bat, and i know officers need to protect themselved, but i doubt they could not have overpowered her, or yeah, use the taser.

If a man cannot subdue a 66 year old woman with strength alone... should they really be an officer?

I think 25%-50% of police shootings are with mentally disturbed/ill people. There's something we need to talk about more.

I don't really know what the point of this thread is. All op really wants is an echo chamber to point fingers and shame the cops over this. There's no room for actual conversation on this because anyone who disagrees with the OP is going to be labeled "usual crowd," "racists," "cop apologists," "idiots." Doesn't matter what counter arguments a person makes.

On to my assessment. I agree he should've tried the taser first but I understand where he was coming from with the gun. If the taser had failed to deploy properly then he would surely have been hit by the baseball bat. Regardless of the womans age she could still have done some serious damage to the cop with that bat.

It's good that they're investigating the incident. Hopefully the proper decision will be made regarding this.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post

Was the perp black?
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    If the taser had failed to deploy properly then he would surely have been hit by the baseball bat.
    By that logic, he shouldn't have used a gun either, because it could have failed to fire.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

he shouldn't have shot her - and this is yet again a major issue with lack of proper training/shitty training that police force has been getting for the last decade or two, but people look at tasers like some sort of gun replacing panacea. they are not. and chances are, that taser would have been just as deadly to the woman as the gun shots.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hs-the-counted

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    By that logic, he shouldn't have used a gun either, because it could have failed to fire.
    I love how you ignore the first part of that though.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Was the perp black?
    Bait is bait, but... yes, she was.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Was the perp black?
    Themius wouldn't be posting this if she wasn't.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really know what the point of this thread is. All op really wants is an echo chamber to point fingers and shame the cops over this. There's no room for actual conversation on this because anyone who disagrees with the OP is going to be labeled "usual crowd," "racists," "cop apologists," "idiots." Doesn't matter what counter arguments a person makes.
    When is there going to be a time, when you are not the one bringing up the above in a thread? The point is that this officer shit and killed a 66 year old with a bat, instead of subduing her without anyone losing their life.

Unlike what you are saying, this is not the representation of cops. Most cops, by far, do not kill 66 year old aggressors. You are making this about cops and not the actions of this cop. You are running with racist and all that bullshit.

A little self awareness please...

On to my assessment. I agree he should've tried the taser first but I understand where he was coming from with the gun. If the taser had failed to deploy properly then he would surely have been hit by the baseball bat. Regardless of the womans age she could still have done some serious damage to the cop with that bat.
    She... is... dead... Cops take damage when apprehending perpetrators, that's why cops are to be admired and looked up to. That's is what most cops do. This is not an example of all cops and you are the one making cops look bad by saying the above.

At least from the first paragraph to the second, you figured out that this might be because of the exact thing you agreed with, that this cop should have tried something like a taser, instead of shooting them. But, for some reason, you still needed to pretend this is about all cops and driven by calls of racism? Mirror please...

It's good that they're investigating the incident. Hopefully the proper decision will be made regarding this.
    How liberal of you.........

- - - Updated - - -

Themius wouldn't be posting this if she wasn't.
    But you will bring it up, until he makes it so. Getting ahead of the curve there? Bring it up and then bitch about how someone else will bring it up? Very nice...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Bait is bait, but... yes, she was.
    "Cop shoots black people."

Is this even news at this point?
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    When is there going to be a time, when you are not the one bringing up the above in a thread? The point is that this officer shit and killed a 66 year old with a bat, instead of subduing her without anyone losing their life.

Unlike what you are saying, this is not the representation of cops. Most cops, by far, do not kill 66 year old aggressors. You are making this about cops and not the actions of this cop. You are running with racist and all that bullshit.

A little self awareness please...

She... is... dead... Cops take damage when apprehending perpetrators, that's why cops are to be admired and looked up to. That's is what most cops do. This is not an example of all cops and you are the one making cops look bad by saying the above.

At least from the first paragraph to the second, you figured out that this might be because of the exact thing you agreed with, that this cop should have tried something like a taser, instead of shooting them. But, for some reason, you still needed to pretend this is about all cops and driven by calls of racism? Mirror please...

How liberal of you.........

- - - Updated - - -

But you will bring it up, until he makes it so. Getting ahead of the curve there? Bring it up and then bitch about how someone else will bring it up? Very nice...
    I agree not all cops do this. Also I said that he should've used the taser. Am I supposed to be against them performing an investigation?

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2835758

Barry, an eight-year department veteran working in the 43rd Precinct, convinced her to drop the scissors, but she grabbed a wooden bat and lunged a “close distance of an amount of feet” across the narrow room at him, sources said.

“As she attempted to strike the sergeant, he fired two shots from his service revolver, striking her in the torso,” said Assistant Chief Larry Nikunen, the commanding officer of Patrol Borough Bronx.

Medics took the woman to Jacobi Hospital, where she died at 7:15 p.m.

Now the woman had mental issue was having an episode and was already known to the police. The cop had a taser and made no attempt to use it. Instead opting to shoot the mentally disturbed woman who they know has had past issues since they've gotten calls before.
    Doesnt take much to do lasting injury with the right implement.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with this, the officer went with their instict to defend himself. Sure, he could've tazed, but I don't think I'd be any better when I'm about to get my face bashed in.
    Sad, tragic, but ultimately it's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    If a man cannot subdue a 66 year old woman with strength alone... should they really be an officer?
    THen he would've gotten shat on because he beat up an old, insane, woman. Either way, someone would make a thing out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree not all cops do this. Also I said that he should've used the taser. Am I supposed to be against them performing an investigation?
    No, it's more of the dichotomy of pretending you don't understand what this thread is supposed to do and then call for an investigation, as if that's not the point of the thread. You chose to go off on a rant about how you will be admonished and called racist or cop apologist. As I've said, you then figured out why the thread exists, but then still left all of nonesense playing the victim and asserting your bias on others.

By the way, anyone who calls you a cop apologist, must be ignoring the things you actually say about cops. Those saying they need training and that this cop was wrong, are not shaming cops. Those saying this is in any way indicative of all cops, are shaming cops. Just FYI...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Isnt it a scientific fact that mentally jeopardized people possess uncanny strength? Something about lacking that last-minute reflex that causes people to lower their power for energy conservation or something like that? I recall hearing -something- like that since mentally retarded men can throw people through walls when they get pissed off.

Idk if it's pseudo-science or not, I heard it in TV show or something.

Coming at a police officer brandishing scissors is something you shouldn't do.

Police are afraid to die. We're asking them to be brave. Some are so cowardly that they shoot at the slightest provocation, these cowardly police need to be removed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with this, the officer went with their instict to defend himself. Sure, he could've tazed, but I don't think I'd be any better when I'm about to get my face bashed in.
    Are you a cop?

THen he would've gotten shat on because he beat up an old, insane, woman. Either way, someone would make a thing out of it.
    Yeah, dead or beaten, same thing.......

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post

A cop beating someone is less dramatic and newsworthy than a cop killing someone.