Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I don't think I would want to pay money for this. I don't really care about graphics as long as they are functional. I just care about how fun the game is.
    Well, as previously stated, if you have the game on the PC + all DLC (on the PC, duh! ) you'll get the remaster for free.

Is there any news around if there's a date we can preload SSE, or am I going to have to set out a day to download it all?

So bethesda added what mods added years ago. And still isn't anywhere near that level.

Sidenote: How the fucking hell can bethesda still have not fired the colossal fucking moron in charge of the magic systems and hired the guy behind like midas magic or apocalypse magic. It's like they have the least inventive person in history running that department.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Meh, looks alright. Enderal's graphics are better though. Also concerned about what this will mean for the modding community. A lot of mods I have haven't been touched since 2012, I'm worried their owners won't update them.

On the bright side I don't have to worry about uninstalling Enderal to get back to the base Skyrim game, so woo hoo for that.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    But that's nothing new. Any time regular Skyrim gets updated, it breaks SKSE and we need a new one.
    Not remotely comparable. Special edition script extender will be closer to F4 one than original Skyrim, it will need to be written and tested basically from scratch. 6-8 weeks from release is probably minimum for stable release.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    So bethesda added what mods added years ago. And still isn't anywhere near that level.

Sidenote: How the fucking hell can bethesda still have not fired the colossal fucking moron in charge of the magic systems and hired the guy behind like midas magic or apocalypse magic. It's like they have the least inventive person in history running that department.

I wonder this every time I start up Skyrim, every single change in these overhauls is immensely better and extremely thought out exponentially more than what Bethesda puts in. I'm still ready for a new Elder scrolls even though I know it will be crap until I fix it, but you get the tools to fix it. But with Skyrim PC medium graphics edition for console I now have to look to other companies for an RPG until Bethesda gets back on track.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post

I have many issues with Bethesda when it comes to creating RPGs.

1) In both Skyrim and modern Fallout games, you can shoot somebody, crouch, and they'll say some shit like, "Guess it was the wind." You get away without consequence, or may just shoot them again.

2) The side quests don't feel important. A game which made them feel important, for example, is The Witcher 3.

3) Playing on higher difficulties is less about fight mechanics, and more about ensuring you picked enough plants to have health potions. Being able to instantly heal yourself to full by spamming potions negates any sense of challenge. The combat is a complete joke in Skyrim.

4) Choices. I never felt that my choices in Skyrim "really" mattered. It didn't matter which faction I sided with, who I killed, etc. I never felt the consequences of my actions, nor laid down at night pondering what else I may have ruined.

5) The lighting is laughably bad. Deep caves and ruins should be realistically lit based on the appropriate sources of light. Mods have fixed this, but the basic launch should have included much darker environments, especially night-time. Bethesda didn't seem to improve on this in Fallout 4, where night-time is still incredibly bright and saturated.

I have more complaints, but most of them are closely related to the above points. I feel that Skyrim was a massively overrated game, and I don't quite understand how anyone in their right mind could consider it a 10/10, or even 9/10 experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    Well, as previously stated, if you have the game on the PC + all DLC (on the PC, duh! ) you'll get the remaster for free.

Is there any news around if there's a date we can preload SSE, or am I going to have to set out a day to download it all?
    Does steam give you this?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    Does steam give you this?
    Skyrim is kind of a steam exclusive on the pc so yeah gonna assume steam will give you this since bethesda.net/launcher was not a thing back then.

Ok so level with someone that hasn't played a elder scrolls game since arena (yes I'm old) yet has played witcher 3: just how bad is skyrim really? This thread makes me think the game is unplayable without mods!

I guess the question is what all do these mods fix? Is the interface that bad? Yes I have played fallout 4 so I have a fair idea of how Bethesda is with regards to storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Ok so level with someone that hasn't played a elder scrolls game since arena (yes I'm old) yet has played witcher 3: just how bad is skyrim really? This thread makes me think the game is unplayable without mods!

I guess the question is what all do these mods fix? Is the interface that bad? Yes I have played fallout 4 so I have a fair idea of how Bethesda is with regards to storytelling.
    The UI is atrocious. SkyUI is basically a requirement (and Skyrim SE probably won't get it unless someone forks SkyUI). The gameplay is very basic (think Fallout 4 only the focus on melee weapons instead of guns).

I wouldn't say it's unplayable without mods, but mods make it a lot better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    The UI is atrocious. SkyUI is basically a requirement (and Skyrim SE probably won't get it unless someone forks SkyUI). The gameplay is very basic (think Fallout 4 only the focus on melee weapons instead of guns).

I wouldn't say it's unplayable without mods, but mods make it a lot better.
    The game is perfectly playable without mods. My roommate is currently going through it on 360 (and no DLC to boot), and watching it is making me realize that the game isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Now, I'm a PC Master Race'r, so I mod the fuck-all out of my Skyrim, and I feel like without mods it's unplayable. But I guess you just get to that point after installing so many of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account

The game isn't unplayable at all, it's just "ok" rather than great without mods. It has potential but eventually you start seeing the cracks in the unmodded foundation after getting familiar with its systems.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    The game is perfectly playable without mods. My roommate is currently going through it on 360 (and no DLC to boot), and watching it is making me realize that the game isn't as bad as people make it out to be. Now, I'm a PC Master Race'r, so I mod the fuck-all out of my Skyrim, and I feel like without mods it's unplayable. But I guess you just get to that point after installing so many of them.
    I've never installed a mod in Skyrim. The UI still enrages me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    I have many issues with Bethesda when it comes to creating RPGs.

1) In both Skyrim and modern Fallout games, you can shoot somebody, crouch, and they'll say some shit like, "Guess it was the wind." You get away without consequence, or may just shoot them again.

2) The side quests don't feel important. A game which made them feel important, for example, is The Witcher 3.

3) Playing on higher difficulties is less about fight mechanics, and more about ensuring you picked enough plants to have health potions. Being able to instantly heal yourself to full by spamming potions negates any sense of challenge. The combat is a complete joke in Skyrim.

4) Choices. I never felt that my choices in Skyrim "really" mattered. It didn't matter which faction I sided with, who I killed, etc. I never felt the consequences of my actions, nor laid down at night pondering what else I may have ruined.

5) The lighting is laughably bad. Deep caves and ruins should be realistically lit based on the appropriate sources of light. Mods have fixed this, but the basic launch should have included much darker environments, especially night-time. Bethesda didn't seem to improve on this in Fallout 4, where night-time is still incredibly bright and saturated.

I have more complaints, but most of them are closely related to the above points. I feel that Skyrim was a massively overrated game, and I don't quite understand how anyone in their right mind could consider it a 10/10, or even 9/10 experience.
    Because Skyrim, by modern standards, is mediocre game at best. Doesn't come close to Witcher 3. I have high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077 since it will not have predetermined character like the witcher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Because Skyrim, by modern standards, is mediocre game at best. Doesn't come close to Witcher 3.
    That's, like, your opinion, man.

Game is fine without mods. However, if you're coming at it from Witcher 3, you're probably going to be disappointed regarding story and characters. Witcher 3's storytelling and characterisation are absolutely superb. So rich and memorable. Skyrim... well, most of the characters are fairly uninteresting and forgettable, as are the stories. You will never really feel anything for anyone in the game, unlike Witcher 3.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    Because Skyrim, by modern standards, is mediocre game at best. Doesn't come close to Witcher 3. I have high hopes for Cyberpunk 2077 since it will not have predetermined character like the witcher.

Got hundreds of hours into skyrim. Couldn't stand witcher 3 for 30 minutes.

Opinions be opinions.

10+ Year Old Account

One of the biggest things Skyrim has over Witcher 3 is replayability. By that I mean in Witcher you play as Geralt, and Geralt is a Witcher who uses 2-Handed Swords, some magic, and some alchemy. In comparison, in Skyrim you play as whatever the hell you want to be. You can go pure stealth, magic, or melee builds. You can be a Mage is full-plate. You can conjure allies and then equip 2 swords to go all slashy-slashy. You can be a stealthy archer. You can....basically you can use whatever skills you want and make whatever sort of character you want.

Personally, I love Geralt's skillset and its something I would typically default to in most RPG games. However, in Skyrim, I have a lot of fun going pure sneak builds and just using daggers. In fact in my complete playthrough my character was stealth based and I had SO much fun sneaking.

Oh, and start adding mods in and all those build choices can get even more fun. =)
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Play Witcher 3 for the story, play Skyrim to do whatever the fuck you want.

I want to make a Paladin build for my next playthrough, but that's going to be hard to do when there's hardly any good vanilla armor that looks like something a Paladin would wear (well except for Snow Elf armor from the Dawnguard DLC). So mods are a must in some cases.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm just sad that because consoles have mods now, modding Beth games on PC causes the file to not award achievements. No, achievements don't make the game but I'm the type of gamer that likes the carrot on the stick that achievements offer. I get a satisfied feeling of seeing 252/252 achievements unlocked in a game I put over 100 hours in. It pains me that if I want to mod skyrim remastered to have a different, and superior UI layout, my achievements on that save file are turned off indefinitely. Now, I can understand why this was done because(I believe I may be wrong here) on PS4 their trophies can lead to them earning discounts or some shit, so obviously Sony doesn't want people getting free easy achievements for their financial gain. It's just kind of fucking dumb that one group ruined it for the rest....If you have the know-how I think the Skyrim Script Extender has the ability to re-enable achievements on modded profiles as this was the case for Fallout 4 once the modding patch was pushed to live, but that's just a fix for a problem that I don't believe should even exist in the first place.
    Same shit, different day.
    Better busy than dead.