A question about computer case.

Hello guys,

I've been thinking about buying a decent computer for a long time, but it has come to my attention that usually computer firms charge too much for brand name and whatnot, and so I decided to build a computer myself. The topic is all new to me, so I would greatly appreciate if you would not use technical terminology/slang.

So I've come up with this spec(with the help of our helpful Chaud) -

1. Case - Thermaltake X1 - thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002576
    2. Power Unit - Thermaltake TR2 RX 650W
    3. Processor - Intel 6700k
    4. Cooling - Noctua 6 NH D-15
    5. Motherboard - Z170 - A
    6. Memory - 2 of 8gb Kingston Hyper X Fury
    7. Graphics - Palit GeForce GTX 1070 1506Mhz PCI-E 3.0 8192Mb 8000Mhz 256 bit DVI HDMI HDCP JetStream
    8. HDD - SSD San Disk 240gb
    9. DVD - ASUS 24xSata DVD/RW

My question is this, would everything of what I mentioned fit in the Thermaltake X1 case? I would use Corsair air 540 but it costs too much in my opinion, and there arent many offers on it in Russia, where I am based. Maybe you could suggest other comparable variants for ~$50-60 bucks, because I feel uncomfortable paying $100 for a case.

If you have any suggestions on my build and how to improve it, while staying roughly at the same budget, you are free to suggest, I will take everything into consideration, since I am completely new in building comps.

10+ Year Old Account
    The case is ITX so keep that in mind you will need to buy ITX motherboard, the CPU fan should fit as it has plenty of room the way case is designed. It can fit a tripple fan GPU and your's is only 2 (I would recommend getting 3 fans though, if you can find it for similar price).

Not sure why would you buy a sata DVD, just get USB one instead.
    PM me weird stuff :3

If you're looking at the X1, you might also take a look at the Silverstone FT03.
    Smaller footprint on the desk, but it lets you fit a Micro ATX motherboard instead of ITX.
    Also fits full size vidcard, ATX power supply, and tower CPU coolers.

It's been one of my favorite cases for a while now because you can plug and unplug everything from the top instead of having to pull the tower out and get behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    The case is ITX so keep that in mind you will need to buy ITX motherboard, the CPU fan should fit as it has plenty of room the way case is designed. It can fit a tripple fan GPU and your's is only 2 (I would recommend getting 3 fans though, if you can find it for similar price).

Not sure why would you buy a sata DVD, just get USB one instead.
    Thanks a lot for the info about itx vs atx difference, considering my noobism I would've totally ignored such insignificant difference and would have been pretty upset when the time for assembling parts would come. As for Sata DVD, I don't really know, it's Chaud's reccomendation in the "build of the month" column, and he's been around for so long I've come to take his advice for granted.

Quote Originally Posted by barrdo View Post
    If you're looking at the X1, you might also take a look at the Silverstone FT03.
    Smaller footprint on the desk, but it lets you fit a Micro ATX motherboard instead of ITX.
    Also fits full size vidcard, ATX power supply, and tower CPU coolers.

It's been one of my favorite cases for a while now because you can plug and unplug everything from the top instead of having to pull the tower out and get behind it.
    This case is fine, although it does look a bit "closed" which raises concerns regarding the temperature inside.

Thanks for replies again, much appreciated

As far as temps in the FT-03, they would actually quite likely be lower than the X1 - Silverstone is very good with their thermals, in particular, their ITX cases- and the way the fans orient (and because heat rises) it actually is a very good case for temps.

As an alternative to the X1, if youre partial to the shape of the X1, i would highly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX. I just re-cased into it, and its easily the best case ive worked in in years of that size - (ITX but not tiny). And its cheaper than the X1. (Im an mITX enthusiast, and have worked in some truly tiny cases - where Id rate the EVGA Hadron Air and Silverstone RAVEN as the best super-tiny cases ive ever worked in)

A benefit of ITX though is that usually the motherboards have Bluetooth and WiFi built in... And they dont cost more than anATX motherboard of the same chipset.