Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Disc - Shield Discipline vs Mindmender

Hi All!

Would Shield Discipline be better than Mindbender now in terms of mana regen after the changes?

I do prefer Mindbender as its a small throughput cooldown and great to use while you're drinking or cacooning.

Opinions please

- - - Updated - - -

Found my answer. For reference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...8GEQSur-yM/pub

Deleted
    Shield discipline returned more mana back prio to the nerf to mindbender, so it should return even more now. However mindbender can be seen as a "healing cd" as well since the attacks heal the atoned players (hits for around 600k-1mill dmg). If you feel you're struggling on mana, go with shield discipline or even PW:solace since that got buffed.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, dont go with Solace. Solace is still utter trash.

SD will be default. MB will be used in 5mans or on short kill times where mana is irrelevant or on fights with very consistent aoe on a 1 min CD.

The thing you have to realize with SD is that it will give you about 2 more burst phases over a typical progression fight. It's not as if SD doesnt equate to more throughput, and you still have SF too.
    Arthas Logs] | Azgalor Logs | Twitch | Pearl91#1607
    "I am a chemical engineer. To save time, lets just assume that I am never wrong."

Mindbender 0.50% per hit..... Yeah, on raid now must go shield discipline. Looks like blizz hates disco priest hahaha "we have mana problems!" ok dont worry people, we will nerf you best mana CD and buff the useless one, letting it still useless"

Perfect xD

Quote Originally Posted by Franarok View Post
    Mindbender 0.50% per hit..... Yeah, on raid now must go shield discipline. Looks like blizz hates disco priest hahaha "we have mana problems!" ok dont worry people, we will nerf you best mana CD and buff the useless one, letting it still useless"

Perfect xD
    haha xD using mindbender for solving mana problems haha xD 4head ahahah xDDD nice meme!!!

Perfect xD
    Shield Discipline always gave more mana than Mindbender.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Deleted
    SD is the "to go" for Raid, MB is still good for 5-man!

Quote Originally Posted by Melchey View Post
    haha xD using mindbender for solving mana problems haha xD 4head ahahah xDDD nice meme!!!
    It didnt gave as much mana as SD as every disco player knows, BUT was enough for most bosses once you had some mana trinket. Now is useless in terms of mana.

There are a huge diference between give less mana than shield discipline and give WAY less mana. Now shield discipline is a MUST with no chance of take the other two on a raid.

Solace is a joke.

Also still wondering the reason of nerf mana regen on the healer with biggest mana problems.

10+ Year Old Account
    It didnt gave as much mana as SD as every disco player knows, BUT was enough for most bosses once you had some mana trinket. Now is useless in terms of mana.

There are a huge diference between give less mana than shield discipline and give WAY less mana. Now shield discipline is a MUST with no chance of take the other two on a raid.

Solace is a joke.

Also still wondering the reason of nerf mana regen on the healer with biggest mana problems.
    Because the talent was too strong? Why else would they lower the power of a talent XD

Sadly not always Blizz nerf something using that logic. They fail lot of times on buffs/nerfs.... or will you say that after the buff on solace it is now decent?

Also you cant only see the talent and forget the overall situation of the class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly not always Blizz nerf something using that logic. They fail lot of times on buffs/nerfs.... or will you say that after the buff on solace it is now decent?

Also you cant only see the talent and forget the overall situation of the class.
    xD what do you mean!?!?! Shield Disc was arguably just as strong as MB before :O xD. I don't really see a problem hehe

Deleted
    Something that is not really outlined but does Shield Discipline give mana after every shield pop? and if so it's effectively a 50% cost reduction on PW:S as long as it pops and not actually a mana restoring cooldown like mindbender which cost nothing to cast, so with that in mind I tend to feel that the mana return is the safer option if you have mana issues and Shield Discipline when your more comfortable with your mana and fights.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    Something that is not really outlined but does Shield Discipline give mana after every shield pop? and if so it's effectively a 50% cost reduction on PW:S as long as it pops and not actually a mana restoring cooldown like mindbender which cost nothing to cast, so with that in mind I tend to feel that the mana return is the safer option if you have mana issues and Shield Discipline when your more comfortable with your mana and fights.
    PWS is already one of your highest priority spells.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    except Mindbender is also a healing cooldown for us, which is why is gets picked so much. Mana regen + increase in healing done is the reason they needed to nerf it. I'd argue the other two talents just didnt match up against it in PVE. For PVP im unsure though

Can we stop fucking calling it "disco"? At least destro for destruction locks actually sounds like it fits. Disco for discipline just sounds like you got dropped on your head. Call it disc. Fuck.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Can we stop fucking calling it "disco"? At least destro for destruction locks actually sounds like it fits. Disco for discipline just sounds like you got dropped on your head. Call it disc. Fuck.
    why you gotta hate?

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2d/2d41f...233b9fdd68.jpg

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    No. 'Disco' isn't an abbreviation like 'destro' is, it is a play on the abbreviations similarity to the word Disco. Maybe you were dropped on your head resulting in an irrational care for the naming conventions of abbreviations and references pertaining to online MMORPG class specifications?

On topic, SD was always the best Mana return but the healing cooldown teamed with the reasonably strong mana regen of Mindbender made it the go to choice. It was literally too strong. They've now better balanced this tier so you have to make a conscious decision between immediate and prolonged throughput. As Disco priests turn Mana into Funk(or heals) SD is now stronger in long fights and Mindbender is better for fights were prolonged throughput is less of an issue or burts of damage happen at ~1 minute intervals.

The biggest problem with Shield Discipline is it encourages overlapping atonements, since much of the time only the active tank is guaranteed to take near-future damage, so we have the choice of using PWS on cooldown on the active tank when he has 12 seconds left of atonement (with Contrition) or using it on someone else who has a chance of not using the entire shield and thus not giving the 1% mana return. If we do decide to overlap the active tank that leaves other players un-atoned.

The other problem with it is that it fixes PWS into the rotation, whereas previously I didn't mind waiting a few seconds to cast PWS if other needs arose now the mana return makes PWS a "hard-fixed" part of the rotation.

SD also reduces the value and viability of Schism, since Schism adds a 3rd priority spell with a short cooldown to an increasingly rigid rotation. Schism (6 seconds), PWS (around 6 seconds), and Penance (9 seconds) now compete for GCDs, while still needing to apply atonements outside of PWS and take advantage of Schism's window for damage spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Supliftz View Post
    xD what do you mean!?!?! Shield Disc was arguably just as strong as MB before :O xD. I don't really see a problem hehe
    Shield Disc for raids.
    MB for M+?

Hi Sups.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugginz View Post
    Hi Sups.
    Oh shit, it's Hugginz! You're playing disc now?

On Topic: Even Solace can have a use if you're in a situation where you can cast it on a decently-high number of atonements. Most of the time SD should be better, though.