Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maldazaar View Post

While they are at it, perhaps they should remove the party/raid frames as well, so healers like you be clicking on friendlyname plates.
    L U L blizzard pls

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    ... Targeting is a mechanic. Addon removes it completely (aka, you don't need to navigate your screen to target shit at all), ...
    It didn't remove it it just lessened the area and made sure you're able to track which targets actually have which debuffs and how much time is left on them. Frames did improve as you're actually able to see those debuffs now but it's still a nightmare having overlapping, un-orderder, floating, flipping bars that have timers on them in range of seconds.

As for Tab targeting:

Target 1 > Tab > Target 2 > Tab > Target 1 > Tab > Target that doesn't have aggro on anything > Tab > Target that is standing behind you > Tab Target 3

Wohoo finally ... oh damn all the debuffs have run out on Target 1 and 2, too bad. Hooray that Tab targeting is working fine and in a totally logical way! Well it does work in a logical way, it's selecting a random enemy from the room more often than not. Instead it could be selecting targets that have debuffs that are about to run out or logically numbering engaged enemies and let you tab through that list or a myriad of other approaches. At least something that is consistent and possible to find a patter for.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwaru View Post
    As for Tab targeting:

Target 1 > Tab > Target 2 > Tab > Target 1 > Tab > Target that doesn't have aggro on anything > Tab > Target that is standing behind you > Tab Target 3
    ^ This. Sometimes i'm tabbing and it targets the group in the other end of the room instead of the mobs next to me. They could at least fix that shit /sigh
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

The target system on wow is kinda bad...even close to terrible hahaha. I dont think that addon "broke" the wow, just make it how it should be, allowing you to target and apply dots or CDs to the enemy you want on a fast way, with no problems because overlapping bars or tabs that select who they want.

If wow tracking and select enemy system was decent, sure no one will need enemygrid.

About "Targeting is a mechanic", that is a nonsense, the addon didnt erased it at all, just make it more natural and clear

Personally I disliked the addon from day1 and only used it for one run in HFC before I disabled it and never used it again, but I agree that the tab function in the current iteration is aweful. The old one was a lot better as you actually had some control over which target you'd hit. I guess they expect everyone to multidot by clicking, which is fine by me, but it does require a bit more effort than some might like.

Atleast the current standard UI nameplates are really good for multidotting. I'm pretty sure most people will get an increased awareness level from not playing with enemygrid, so that's something atleast.

Blizz seems to really be on the artificial difficulty train *Looks at Cenarius' Brambles w/ no fixate debuff*. You're not making the game harder by making it shittier, you're just making it more annoying.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jullyx View Post
    Personally I disliked the addon from day1 and only used it for one run in HFC before I disabled it and never used it again, but I agree that the tab function in the current iteration is aweful. The old one was a lot better as you actually had some control over which target you'd hit. I guess they expect everyone to multidot by clicking, which is fine by me, but it does require a bit more effort than some might like.

Atleast the current standard UI nameplates are really good for multidotting. I'm pretty sure most people will get an increased awareness level from not playing with enemygrid, so that's something atleast.
    It's not like we zoned out. When you're in voidform, or in Surrender to Madness flirting with glory and death, using tab target to VB the correct mobs can be an absolute nightmare: see, Xavius. It's to a point where if there are too many enemies, you might as well avoid them because good luck VBing the correct mob in a jumbled, spastic mess of nameplates.

This wasn't even a huge deal in WoD (see beast lord), because there was no voidform to complicate things. Now? It makes an already stressful class not only stressful, but frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
    It's not like we zoned out. When you're in voidform, or in Surrender to Madness flirting with glory and death, using tab target to VB the correct mobs can be an absolute nightmare: see, Xavius. It's to a point where if there are too many enemies, you might as well avoid them because good luck VBing the correct mob in a jumbled, spastic mess of nameplates.

This wasn't even a huge deal in WoD (see beast lord), because there was no voidform to complicate things. Now? It makes an already stressful class not only stressful, but frustrating.
    You can swap target while casting, and you can get through quite a few targets on a full gcd. It might end up with void bolting the wrong target every now and then, but it's not a massive deal.

I was refering to prepatch, which was when this addon was released (I believe) and surrender to madness existed.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    The addon didn't "improve" targetting, it literally removed it. Sure, the target system has been around for a long time, but so has chess and people still enjoy it unchanged. Many people rejoiced because the addon literally removed any semblance of skill from the spec. I'm sorry that this game remains challenging in some aspects. Though to be quite honest, I kind of feel like I'm in a backwards alternate reality world where switching targets is considered challenging.
    Targetting something is not skill. At least it's not the skill this game was intended to have, it's not a fps. The skill is in using the right abilities in the right circumstances and controlling your character to avoid deadly things around you. Making it easier to target the thing you intend to target, that you've made a choice to target, is not dumbing down the game.

If I use your argument, shouldn't raid frames be removed as well? What skill is it to target a friendly unit with an addon that places it nicely where you want to see it? Anyone that needs a heal should have to shout it out in /say or /instance or over voice chat, then the healer should have to run around looking for them in a group of 40 people, maybe tab target 37 times to target them appropriately, then cast the heal spell.. THERE, SKILL!

Do you see? Enemy grid is absolutely, 100% no different than the raid frames blizzard has already implemented. In fact, it's even weaker than their raid frames for friendly targets because you have to see the enemies nameplate, where as for their raid frames distance/viewing the person isn't even a requirement. I would love to see blizzard implement an enemies raid frames. Or remove raid frames and make it consistent.

Edit: While we're at it, remove name plates, just put a bar above their head with the amount of health they have that is not targettable, and if you need to know that information and you're targetting a giant fucking dragon, you should have to zoom your camera out or zoom way in and stare straight up to hopefully catch a glimpse. We can't be having all these hud type visual things making things easier for you to gather the data you need to make a decision on what button to press. Where's the skill in that?

Clearly I'm triggered.
    Last edited by Narwal; 2016-10-27 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by emni View Post
    My main is a priest this expansion. In fact, I've been playing my priest on and off since TBC and at no point was there an issue with selecting the target for me or anyone else. Install TidyPlates and learn to use your mouse.

I can't believe how ridiculous this thread is. Did none of you play in Cata when you had to manage several debuffs AND buffs on yourself, when such addons didn't exist? If you can't micromanage a couple of dots or keep an eye on offensive targets when disc then maybe these specs aren't for you. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people are calling switching targets hard. Jesus.
    The spec played a lot slower in Cataclysm, and you actually had the time to pick through the shitty UI to find the right target to refresh. Currently, the spec is designed to be a bunch of frantic button-mashing during Voidform, which significantly reduces that time.

As a shadow priest this was sad to hear, but I think it will make me a better player to start using tab-targeting effectively. I would still like to continue to use Enemy Grid and have a suggestion if any of the developers are reading this forum.

Is there a way you could set it up so we know what the next target would be in our tab rotation? By this I mean if there are 3 targets, could each frame within Enemy Grid be rendered a different color based on who will be the next target once you hit tab. This would let you think ahead a couple steps, and could even be set up so you know 5 tabs ahead, that way you can know how many times you have to hit it to target the enemy you wish to target. If not a color maybe a little number right beside the nameplate in the Enemy Grid itself.

Food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    Targetting something is not skill. At least it's not the skill this game was intended to have, it's not a fps. The skill is in using the right abilities in the right circumstances and controlling your character to avoid deadly things around you. Making it easier to target the thing you intend to target, that you've made a choice to target, is not dumbing down the game.

If I use your argument, shouldn't raid frames be removed as well? What skill is it to target a friendly unit with an addon that places it nicely where you want to see it? Anyone that needs a heal should have to shout it out in /say or /instance or over voice chat, then the healer should have to run around looking for them in a group of 40 people, maybe tab target 37 times to target them appropriately, then cast the heal spell.. THERE, SKILL!

Do you see? Enemy grid is absolutely, 100% no different than the raid frames blizzard has already implemented. In fact, it's even weaker than their raid frames for friendly targets because you have to see the enemies nameplate, where as for their raid frames distance/viewing the person isn't even a requirement. I would love to see blizzard implement an enemies raid frames. Or remove raid frames and make it consistent.

Edit: While we're at it, remove name plates, just put a bar above their head with the amount of health they have that is not targettable, and if you need to know that information and you're targetting a giant fucking dragon, you should have to zoom your camera out or zoom way in and stare straight up to hopefully catch a glimpse. We can't be having all these hud type visual things making things easier for you to gather the data you need to make a decision on what button to press. Where's the skill in that?

Clearly I'm triggered.
    Triggered but also correct. The raid friendly frame is the perfect example, remove them all and press shift + V.

There, now click your fucking way to the injuried player.

Imagine the outrage that would be.

Not enjoying my shadow at all this patch because of targeting. If you tab too quickly, oops you just pulled an extra pack. Fucking sucks, am I going to click on the overlapping nameplates now? Might actually reroll and accept that I'll be so far behind on character progression.

It's not too hard to manage ~3 targets with dots, even without Enemy Grid. What makes it hard is when you've got 5+ targets and you need to refresh on the 3 or so dotted targets. Without Voidbolt's ability to refresh both dots, it wouldn't matter: Just DoT up a new target to make up for the one that's about to expire and can't be bothered to tab through to find. No damage lost.

I think what gets me is people who play other classes coming in here and hating on priests for complaining. I mained a warrior last XP and it wasn't too hard to manage my rend on 3-4 targets, as I could zoom my camera way out and keep the nameplates from overlapping by inverting my camera to point on my head. Now, as a caster, all nameplates are clustered in front of me and there's nothing I can do to position myself to compensate for the clusterfuck that's 30 yards in front of me.

I understand how people can come in here and tell us to stop complaining, but the point has already been brought up: the priest design this XP is extremely punishing if you do not manage your dots correctly. It's more critical than ever to be able to find the right target at the right time. I haven't done any mythic+ yet this week, but I am almost dreading it because of the changes made to the UI.

Targetting something is not skill. At least it's not the skill this game was intended to have, it's not a fps.
    It's hilarious that you think you know what the intention of this game is when the people who are developing it clearly disagree.

If I use your argument, shouldn't raid frames be removed as well? What skill is it to target a friendly unit with an addon that places it nicely where you want to see it?
    Sure, why not. I'd find that fun. HoTS already works that way for example and it makes healing just as fun.

Anyone that needs a heal should have to shout it out in /say or /instance or over voice chat, then the healer should have to run around looking for them in a group of 40 people, maybe tab target 37 times to target them appropriately, then cast the heal spell.. THERE, SKILL!
    Are you trying to say that this wouldn't require skill?

I'd dig that.

Clearly I'm triggered.
    Clearly, you need to play hello kitty online, WoW is too stressful.

Just use nameplates with mouse over macros.

Quote Originally Posted by teverin View Post
    Just use nameplates with mouse over macros.
    6 mobs in a pack. all stacked on the tank. your 30 yards away. the nameplates overlap and shift around all the time.
    now mouse over voidbolt the correct target who's dots are about to expire, you have 0.7 seconds get it or you die from lack of insanity.

Gl with that shit.

If we were talking 2 sec cast time spells then it might have been acceptable but we are the quick, seat of your pants spec making multiple decisions per second as we fight to not die to our defining class ability.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    6 mobs in a pack. all stacked on the tank. your 30 yards away. the nameplates overlap and shift around all the time.
    now mouse over voidbolt the correct target who's dots are about to expire, you have 0.7 seconds get it or you die from lack of insanity.

Gl with that shit.

If we were talking 2 sec cast time spells then it might have been acceptable but we are the quick, seat of your pants spec making multiple decisions per second as we fight to not die to our defining class ability.
    1000 times this. /thread

I also find it ironic Blizzard is frowning upon having frames for clicking, when they literally have their own clickable frames on the side for bosses and in some cases other mobs (like tentacles in maw).
    Last edited by warlockiii; 2016-10-27 at 05:30 PM.

Deleted
    Click nameplates..? What is hard about monitoring nameplates in the actual gamefield instead of staring at an addon that clumps them up nicely for you?

Pointless whine

Some companies would see a cool addon somebody developed for free that filled a deficiency in their UI and go "Cool, this guy did all the work, let's drop this into the game because we own all derivative works and send that dude a baseball cap."

Blizzard sees that and thinks "This guy's addon is making our UI look bad! Kill it!"