Thread: Ketosis diet

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Ketosis diet

Heya

Anyone tried the ketosis diet? Whats your experiences? I want to try it but just get so many things from google its confusing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Heya

Anyone tried the ketosis diet? Whats your experiences? I want to try it but just get so many things from google its confusing.
    right, pump your body full of fats to get fit. tell that to your liver, kidney's and heart after a short while, see what they think about it ^_^

instead of these shitty diets propagated online, eat broad variety of foods, get some exercise. that is more than enough. unless your an athlete. in that case, double that amount.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yabadabadoh View Post
    right, pump your body full of fats to get fit. tell that to your liver, kidney's and heart after a short while, see what they think about it ^_^

instead of these shitty diets propagated online, eat broad variety of foods, get some exercise. that is more than enough. unless your an athlete. in that case, double that amount.
    This is complete nonsense. There have been countless studies done on the effects of low-carb, high fat diets, and the results are actually very positive if you do it right. Satiation is high, cravings disappear over time, weight goes down, your energy levels tend to become more stable, and if done properly keto can also work wonders on your cholesterol. Much of the anti-fat dogma is severely outdated at this point. I've been on keto for a while now and I feel better than ever.

Every person is different, so not all diets work equally well for everyone, but to suggest keto destroys your liver, kidneys and heart is just false.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keadin84 View Post
    This is complete nonsense. There have been countless studies done on the effects of low-carb, high fat diets, and the results are actually very positive if you do it right. Satiation is high, cravings disappear over time, weight goes down, your energy levels tend to become more stable, and if done properly keto can also work wonders on your cholesterol. Much of the anti-fat dogma is severely outdated at this point. I've been on keto for a while now and I feel better than ever.

Every person is different, so not all diets work equally well for everyone, but to suggest keto destroys your liver, kidneys and heart is just false.

The ketogenic diet is generally not suitable for a very long duration. It can promote uric acid accumulation in the tissues, osteoporosis, mineral imbalances, nutrient deficiencies and muscle protein loss over time. Another side effect is a fruity odor of acetone on the breath, as this is one route the body uses to excrete ketones. However, fatty liver disease is potentially very serious if it is allowed to progress and should be addressed. A trial ketogenic diet under medical supervision, combined with lifestyle changes that can be maintained in the long run, might be an effective treatment.

using "countless studies" as argument without putting up sources.. high fat diet is fckin bad for your health. i didnt say you have to get a fat free diet nor did i promote anti-fat dogma. but it is beyond ridiculous to fully switch on a HIGH-FAT diet because why exactly? most energy you want to get is from legumes, beans and nuts which contains proper amounts of fats you need.

why keto then?
    http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.c...r-disease.html

Deleted
    The ketogenic diet is generally not suitable for a very long duration. It can promote uric acid accumulation in the tissues, osteoporosis, mineral imbalances, nutrient deficiencies and muscle protein loss over time. Another side effect is a fruity odor of acetone on the breath, as this is one route the body uses to excrete ketones. However, fatty liver disease is potentially very serious if it is allowed to progress and should be addressed. A trial ketogenic diet under medical supervision, combined with lifestyle changes that can be maintained in the long run, might be an effective treatment.

using "countless studies" as argument without putting up sources.. high fat diet is fckin bad for your health. i didnt say you have to get a fat free diet nor did i promote anti-fat dogma. but it is beyond ridiculous to fully switch on a HIGH-FAT diet because why exactly? most energy you want to get is from legumes, beans and nuts which contains proper amounts of fats you need.

why keto then?
    First off, you don't exclusively eat fat when on keto. Second, not all fats are equal. Trans fats are bad, saturated and monounsaturated fats are good on keto. A blanket statement "fat is bad" makes no sense as there isn't one single type of fat. Fat tends to be bad for your health IN COMBINATION WITH high carbohydrate intake.

You also don't avoid carbs entirely, on keto you tend to have 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs. So of your entire food intake, only a little over half of it is fat.

The side effects you cited are also related to keto only when using it longterm, but a diet is generally a short term thing you use to attain certain body or health goals. Even then, some (not all) of the effects you mentioned can be compensated for nutritionally, like the musle loss or mineral imbalances. Those are things you can tweak with other foods.

However, you're in luck, the United States government did do a study on the effects of ketosis on the body, both long term and short term, here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

Deleted
    First off, you don't exclusively eat fat when on keto. Second, not all fats are equal. Trans fats are bad, saturated and monounsaturated fats are good on keto. A blanket statement "fat is bad" makes no sense as there isn't one single type of fat. Fat tends to be bad for your health IN COMBINATION WITH high carbohydrate intake.

You also don't avoid carbs entirely, on keto you tend to have 60% fat, 30% protein, and 10% carbs. So of your entire food intake, only a little over half of it is fat.

The side effects you cited are also related to keto only when using it longterm, but a diet is generally a short term thing you use to attain certain body or health goals. Even then, some (not all) of the effects you mentioned can be compensated for nutritionally, like the musle loss or mineral imbalances. Those are things you can tweak with other foods.

However, you're in luck, the United States government did do a study on the effects of ketosis on the body, both long term and short term, here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/
    These studies will open new avenues into the potential therapeutic uses of a ketogenic diet and ketone bodies.

but these diets are only for a selected group of people who already have to control their weights and/or have considerable health issues linked to obesity, diabetes etc.

people promoting diets like these to healthy individuals is just plain wrong. the OP asked to about information because he wants to "try it". WHY?

Conclusions

KDs are prescribed with increasing frequency for NAFLD, obesity, and neurological disease, and while they have beneficial attributes, their metabolic effects are not yet completely understood, and patient responses to these diets can be variable. Recent studies have provided insight into the contribution of macronutrient content on liver health and demonstrate the influences of shifting macronutrient class distributions. Therefore, future studies of low-carbohydrate diets in rodents and humans must take into consideration additional factors including the effects of low overall protein, choline and methionine content, plus the saturation and length of dietary fatty acids. Achieving macro- and micronutrient balance will be essential to developing efficacious diets that promote weight loss while maintaining systemic health.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3679496/

7+ Year Old Account

Is there a way to know for sure if your body is in ketosis without those machines? They're awfully expensive.

If you have an active lifestyle, be sure to maintain sodium intact to avoid lightheadedness.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been on Keto for well over a year and can say for a fact I am the healthiest I have been in my entire life. I lost 180 pounds and definitely have more energy. I mean all I eat are greens and meat for the most part. Giving up soda and bread/pasta was the hardest part. My wife has also had great success. We have been getting regular check ups at the doctor and all of our numbers are better across the board. You definitely should check with a doctor to make sure you don't have any medical reasons that could make it dangerous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylarking View Post
    Is there a way to know for sure if your body is in ketosis without those machines? They're awfully expensive.
    You may be able to get ketosticks from a pharmacy, you pee on them and the colouration gives a rough estimate of the ketone count in your urine. It's not the most accurate way, but you don't need a super accurate count, an indication is enough.

Generally though the tells that your body is making the change is because you'll be feeling like crap for about 1 to 2 weeks as your body adjusts to a different kind of fuel. During this phase it's important you keep drinking enough water and to keep enough salt in your body. Many of the usual complaints people have, like dizziness, fatigue, or a "fuzzy head" are due to your body running low on electrolytes. Since you're drinking a lot of water, you're also flushing out a lot of electrolyes, so keep those in check.

After that adjustment period though you should start feeling a lot better. You'll be craving less food, you'll need to eat less on a daily basis to keep your energy levels constant, your head will clear (and many people even report an increased mental acuity), you'll be shedding weight, and if you're having problems with either, keto can also improve your cholesterol and blood pressure. Keep in mind your bowels will need some time to adjust as well, so you may initially experience the runs.

One semi-downside I found was that I wasn't as tired at the end of the day, so it would take me a while to actually fall asleep. When you're on a high-carb diet and your insuline levels go up and down as you eat, your energy levels tend to spike and steadily fall off. On keto it kinda flatlines, which means that your overall energy might be a little lower than someone on a carb-rich diet, but those energy levels are extremely consistent throughout your day. Weightlifters often report an initial loss of strength, but over time that usually recovers.

Those are a few things you can keep an eye on to figure out if your body has made the change yet, though if you restrict your carb intake to under 50 grams per day (50 grams tops, general advise is to stay around 20 grams) your body will simply make the change on its own.

The change can be rough though, the first week my brain was screaming for food even if I had just eaten. I had to force myself to ignore the brain and start paying attention to my stomach. I'd only eat if it started growling, not before. It really resembles withdrawal effects from all the sugars we take in over the course of a day.

This thread may also provide some insights, including many pros, cons, and a lot more sources than I have handy at the moment:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1697552-keto-diet

Personally, I've restarted the diet recently, and although much of it is water, I'm currently losing between 100 and 200 grams a day, but that will slow down significantly later. Best I ever managed was a little under 10 kilograms in a month, but I don't recommend that :P

So all in all, good luck to you ^^

10+ Year Old Account

why keto then?
    Most high fat diet studies are done in mice. When researchers try to translate their findings to humans, they do not find the same outcomes.

As for ketosis, there is a condition called ketoacidosis that's generally found in diabetics. This is not the same as diet-induced ketosis for reasons which are still unclear. Diet-induced ketosis doesn't appear to induce losses in bone mineral density or muscle loss according to this 2014 paper.

As for uric acid, there's a process called ketoadaptation in which uric acid levels increase, and then return to baseline over the course of 4-6 weeks as your body adapts to using ketones as its primary fuel source.

Finally, ketosis has been clearly demonstrated to be beneficial for a host of processes. I would suggest reading through this review to learn more about the benefits and drawbacks.

- - - Updated - - -

These studies will open new avenues into the potential therapeutic uses of a ketogenic diet and ketone bodies.

but these diets are only for a selected group of people who already have to control their weights and/or have considerable health issues linked to obesity, diabetes etc.

people promoting diets like these to healthy individuals is just plain wrong. the OP asked to about information because he wants to "try it". WHY?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3679496/
    You need to define what constitutes a healthy individual. Most people are not. You also don't really have any evidence that a ketogenic diet would be detrimental to someone who it trying to use it as a means of improvement instead of treatment. The best you can come up with is 'it's not really understood' and 'in mice it's bad' - these aren't compelling arguments when we have data in humans showing that it can most certainly be useful for a wide variety of conditions.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Most high fat diet studies are done in mice. When researchers try to translate their findings to humans, they do not find the same outcomes.

As for ketosis, there is a condition called ketoacidosis that's generally found in diabetics. This is not the same as diet-induced ketosis for reasons which are still unclear. Diet-induced ketosis doesn't appear to induce losses in bone mineral density or muscle loss according to this 2014 paper.

As for uric acid, there's a process called ketoadaptation in which uric acid levels increase, and then return to baseline over the course of 4-6 weeks as your body adapts to using ketones as its primary fuel source.

Finally, ketosis has been clearly demonstrated to be beneficial for a host of processes. I would suggest reading through this review to learn more about the benefits and drawbacks.

- - - Updated - - -

You need to define what constitutes a healthy individual. Most people are not. You also don't really have any evidence that a ketogenic diet would be detrimental to someone who it trying to use it as a means of improvement instead of treatment. The best you can come up with is 'it's not really understood' and 'in mice it's bad' - these aren't compelling arguments when we have data in humans showing that it can most certainly be useful for a wide variety of conditions.
    most people are not healthy? source?

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."
    we have data in humans showing that it can most certainly be useful for a wide variety of conditions
    source? what conditions? humans have made it this far without a high-fat diet. although the primary food source came from animals, we have adapted to eat all kinds of nutrients. human body can function without a ketogenic diet. i just want to know why someone would try to adjust to a non natural diet, and say well it is beneficial. to whom?

Generally though the tells that your body is making the change is because you'll be feeling like crap for about 1 to 2 weeks as your body adjusts to a different kind of fuel. During this phase it's important you keep drinking enough water and to keep enough salt in your body. Many of the usual complaints people have, like dizziness, fatigue, or a "fuzzy head" are due to your body running low on electrolytes. Since you're drinking a lot of water, you're also flushing out a lot of electrolyes, so keep those in check.

So all in all, good luck to you ^^
    Curious, what do you eat to keep those electrolytes in your body?

I always have that problem when I go on a diet, horrible horrible headaches, and I assume that's lack of electrolytes.

It's also when I stop eating so much sugar, so it could be a sugar headache, but I don't know. A couple weeks ago I had a headache so bad it was almost crippling!

Though I think you need to be careful about how you do the Ketosis diet, it has been shown in studies if done properly it is better for all those organs listed. We are not built to eat so many carbs over a consistent amount of time.

I personally don't like Ketosis when it comes to burning fat diet because it doesn't fix bad eating habits and it does shock the body if you are severely overweight, that is where you will damage organs. But if you are doing Ketosis for other reasons then it is extremely healthy for you.

Keto does not destroy organs, eating poorly before keto and then going back to eating poorly after you finish keto is where you will damage your organs. This is why I don't like quick fix diets, eating habits are usually the issue. Now keto can help getting away from poor eating habits but if you are just in for the quick weight lose then Keto wont be the best for you.

Read into how some long game hunters use Ketosis, it isn't designed to be a fat burning diet. A lot of hikers use it as well. What it does is help you survive for periods of time where carbs are not available. We have been functioning this way for a long time and the only reason it feels like a new concept is due to the amount of carbs available in our society now.

- - - Updated - - -

why keto then?
    The diet isn't set up for a lifestyle diet change forever. It is equally as bad to eat an excessive amount of carbs for a very long duration. Basically any diet that tells you to eat High-anything is bad for you for a long duration.

I have done the Keto diet twice due to being in the wilderness for a long period of time. First was to test that I could do it and the second was to be out in the wilderness.

So I agree for a fat loss program it is a bad idea. I disagree why it is a bad idea for a fat loss program though. People who usually use it as a fat loss program tend to have a lot of bad habits, usually over eating on the side of carbs. So then going to this diet for a short time to burn that fat quickly can be a shock to the system, the actually problem is that it doesn't teach them to get out of bad habits, they go on the diet for a few weeks, get off it and then go back to old habits. That is where it will be harmful to be on the Keto Diet.

Now Keto can be used to help you fix eating habits if done properly, it helps detox the addiction people have for certain carbs. This is rarely done properly though.

With diets like this people are proberly going to avoid ''fats'' keep in mind that both male and females need a certain amount of fats in their body. I altleast get 100-110 grams of fats in my daily nutrition.

I tried intermittent fasting combined with calorie counting, been doing it for 9 months. Which ultimately boils down to skipping breakfast, using water/coffee to stave off hunger and then eating the majority of your calories in a smaller window in the late afternoon/early evening.. Generally eating whatever the fuck you want, within reason of course but that generally meant 40-50% of my calories were carbs.

Results after 9months, lost about 30lbs and have not been ill once in 2016, have more energy than ever. Lots of stuff works, low carb diets can make you feel like shit, I did it back in 2011 ish when I was on P90x program.. Part of that diet was very low carb (essentially Keto) followed by carb loading towards the end of the 3 months, a bit like a bodybuilding program... But you feel like shit on low carbs, it's not enjoyable or sustainable.

Just eating balanced diet and calorie counting works really well, intermittent fasting trains your body to not expect food in the mornings so you eventually function very well without it, making you adjust to eating less calories without struggle. If you're overweight that last part is key.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I lost 18kg in 2 months with keto without jogging, just a few km a day walked.

The hardest part is the first few days, after that just burn like crazy.

It has worked very well for me so far. I am down roughly 60lbs(with more to go). It really isn't hard to adapt to and once you are over the initial bump, and energy levels jumped up a lot. I can be hard if you like certain foods. Giving up bread, rice, and potato was pretty hard for me, but I have grown accustomed to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    First Rule of Keto Diet: DONT BE LAZY

Gotta spend those calories. Start by flexing that index finger over your mouse's scroll wheel.
    Keto Thread just a little below your keto thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1697552-keto-diet
    There's another keto thread, if you want to be thorough and cross-reference all that info:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ave-a-question
    And another...
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Ketogenic-Diet
    And the OG keto thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1155611-Keto-diet

Im just shocked, shocked, that a keto diet thread hasn't been sticky'd on a website that caters to gamers.