Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Feminist makes movie...Feminism tries to shut it down

Another example of social warriors trying to shut down freedom of speech. Disgusting.

“The Red Pill: The movie about men that feminists didn’t want you to see.” This was the provocative headline that ran in Britain’s The Telegraph last November, a teaser for a documentary made by a feminist filmmaker who planned to take on men’s rights activists but was won over and crossed to the dark side to take up their cause.

Despite a ferocious campaign to stop the movie being made, it’s finally been released and the Australian screening was due next week in Melbourne. However the gender warriors have struck again, using a change.com petition to persuade Palace Cinemas to cancel the booking. Palace took the decision after being told the movie would offend many in its core audience but by yesterday 8000 had signed petitions protesting the ban. Organisers are now scrambling to find another venue.

Clearly this documentary has the feminists very worried — with good reason. Cassie Jaye is an articulate, 29-year-old blonde whose previous movies on gay marriage and abstinence education won multiple awards. But then she decided to interview leaders of the Men’s Rights Movement for a documentary she was planning about rape culture on American campuses. As a committed feminist, Jaye expected to be unimpressed by these renowned hate-filled misogynists, but to her surprise she was exposed to a whole range of issues she came to see as unfairly stacked against men and boys.

As news of this very public conversion started to leak out, Jaye came under attack. She was smeared, told she was committing “career suicide” and saw her funding dry up to the point where it looked as if the movie would never be made. Prominent feminists she had planned to interview refused to participate; none of the “human rights” funding she hoped to attract proved available for a documentary on men’s rights.

Then a Kickstarter fund raised $211,260, ensuring the movie’s cinematic release. Over the past month there have been screenings in the US, and hopefully Australian audiences will eventually get to see what the fuss is all about.

The title The Red Pill refers to a scene in The Matrix when Keanu Reeves’s character takes the red pill to expose “the truth” that challenges his closely held beliefs. Jaye’s The Red Pill reveals a world where the cultural dialogue is dominated by feminists still complaining that men have all the power, yet the “truth” in most Western countries is that many laws, attitudes and social conventions make life tough for men. Her fly-on-the-wall technique includes interviews with Men’s Rights Movement leaders such as Paul Elam and feminists who oppose the movement, graphics and animations revealing facts about family law and child custody, male suicide rates and the not-so-privileged side of traditional manhood, such as the 90 per cent of workplace fatalities that are male.

There’s a powerful interview with Erin Pizzey, who is no longer allowed near the British women’s refuge she started back in the 1970s, the first in the world. Pizzey ran afoul of the sisterhood by campaigning to expose the truth about women’s role in domestic violence.

Jaye shows feminist protesters shutting down a talk at a Toronto campus by men’s activist Warren Farrell, screeching at a young man who tried to attend and berating him as “f..king scum”, and on another occasion setting off a fire alarm in a building where a men’s rights lecture was to be held.

There’s discussion of men’s lack of reproductive rights, which includes a clip from a chat show where the audience cheers when a woman whose husband is resisting a second child says she’s considering going off birth control without telling him.

Reaction to the movie has been mixed, with the flamboyant anti-feminist Milo Yiannopoulos describing it as “a powerful film on a complicated, important, yet woefully unaddressed issue”. He applauds Jaye for “having the intestinal fortitude to not only tackle this subject, but to do so fairly”. Predictably, the movie has been panned by the left-wing The Village Voice, which calls Jaye an “MRM-bankrolled propagandist”, and the Los Angeles Times, whose reviewer claims she failed to understand “patriarchal systems”.

Stephen Marche in The Guardian admits that “men do sometimes suffer mistreatment from the courts or from the women in their lives”, but suggests the film fails to demonstrate any systemic cause. “Instead, the author of men’s troubles here is always that vague bugaboo feminism, which we’re told is designed to silence its opponents,” sniffs Marche.

That’s pretty ironic, given this “vague bugaboo” persists in trying to silence Jaye’s attempts to tell this story. As she points out in her movie, the issues she examines came as a revelation not only to her but to many others exposed to the material she put together. That bugaboo carries a lot of clout.
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

Not sure if this is a blow to free speech, but it is unfortunate that a dumb mob can persuade people that easily (which, comes back around to open exchange of ideas being limited because of public fear). I'm sure we can pick some examples of christians going on moral crusade to ban books and movies using the same methods - would liberals suddenly cry out for free speech? I'm not even sure.
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2016-10-28 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I wanted to make money I'd make a film about MRAs, goad feminists into reacting and then watch the pounds role in as /r/TheRedPill loses its collective shit and donates lots of money.

Only took 3 posts till someone defended this immature and fearful behavior, impressive.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Oooh, shut up.
    Asking a theater to not show a movie has nothing to do with freedom of speech.
    They didn't ask the government to ban it. They didn't force anything.
    They had a petition, the venue listened to it and the creators now have to find another spot to show it.
    Wow you have your head buried deep in the ground if you believe that. What happens when they find another venue and then try to ban that as well?
    There is the sad paradox of a world which is more and more sensitive about being politically correct, almost to the point of ridicule, yet does not wish to acknowledge or to respect believers’ faith in God

10+ Year Old Account
    But I thought feminists were a hivemind?

Oooh, shut up.
    All you need to know about this poster's maturity level.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Only took 3 posts till someone defended this immature and fearful behavior, impressive.
    I was surprised it took that long to be honest

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    All you need to know about this poster's maturity level.
    Tell me about it, you seem to know me pretty well

"Feminism is cancer" - Milo 2016

Deleted
    Modern feminism is a cult of hate and hipocrisy.

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    I was surprised it took that long to be honest

- - - Updated - - -

Tell me about it, you seem to know me pretty well
    I was responding to the person I was, y'know, quoting. Not you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooh, shut up.
    They had a petition, the venue listened to it and the creators now have to find another spot to show it.
    What about the next venue they select and they petition that one as well, then the next, and the next? Where does it end? They didn't have to ask the government because it wasn't wide spread...but what makes you think they wouldn't ask the government if it wasn't in more than one area?

You're so naive if you think they wont stoop to even lower levels to push their agenda...

Oh look, just more proof how much cancer feminism is.
    Fit's right along with Jordan Peterson facing legal consequences now because of feminist shitheads.

Not that long ago feminists harassed and shut down a campaign for abused men in Spain aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just like your username tells us about your maturity level.

But hey, I am not whining about freedom of speech when no freedom of speech is being broken.

Find another venue?
    Or just a counter-petition.

They have the right to complain and ask for this.
    What do you want to do?
    Forbid them from having a petition?
    Force venues to show this documentary?

- - - Updated - - -

It will obviously end when you imprison feminists and ban their movement That's how you defend freedom of speech!
    So oppression of freedom of speech is okay...which is what you're basically saying.

They're literally oppressing the film maker's right to freedom of speech, the freedom to display her movie, they're oppressing her freedom of speech because it doesn't fit their agenda, like they were expecting it to...probably just expected it to be another smear piece against men and when this woman rationally dug into things she came out unbiased and now these feminazi are trying to suppress it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouAreSick View Post
    I was responding to the person I was, y'know, quoting. Not you.
    Sorry man my bad

Just like your username tells us about your maturity level.

But hey, I am not whining about freedom of speech when no freedom of speech is being broken.

Find another venue?
    Or just a counter-petition.

They have the right to complain and ask for this.
    What do you want to do?
    Forbid them from having a petition?
    Force venues to show this documentary?

- - - Updated - - -

It will obviously end when you imprison feminists and ban their movement That's how you defend freedom of speech!
    I would like ALL facts to be put out there and let people think for themselves. It's called freedom of speech.

These SJW's want only there twisted version of events to be heard and drown out everybody else's thinking. That's called authoritarian. Since we don't live in North Korea that needs be called out and forced out

Deleted
    Oooh, shut up.
    We don't know if they were coerced into not showing it by the threat of having their licence removed for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    I would like ALL facts to be put out there and let people think for themselves. It's called freedom of speech.

These SJW's want only there twisted version of events to be heard and drown out everybody else's thinking. That's called authoritarian. Since we don't live in North Korea that needs be called out and forced out
    People like Kangodo only cares for the freedom of speech of companies, whatever the fuck that means.

Only when it fits his ideology that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm sure we can pick some examples of Christians going on moral crusade to ban books and movies using the same methods - would liberals suddenly cry out for free speech? I'm not even sure.
    Liberals do cry about it. Not without reason, it's the same effect as what happens in the OP. Liberals despise the extreme "Christian" groups that protest everything they can for the purpose of shutting it down.

Basically, people are outraged when someone tries to shutdown something they like, but will defend the right of someone shutting down something they are against. That's not a liberal vs conservative issue, it's a human issue.

1st group has freedom of speech to say what they want to say, and the 2nd group has the freedom of speech to try to shout down the 1st group and get everyone else to ignore them.

If you are against either group, but only that group, you are a hypocrite.
    If you are against both you are at least consistent.
    If you are for both groups to say whatever they want to say you are pro-freedom, and
    If you just try to ignore both groups and go about your day dealing with your own first world problems instead, you are probably just normal.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I am saying that they are fully within their right to make a petition to not show the film.
    They are not literally oppressing the maker's right to freedom of speech, to display the movie or anything like it.
    These people used their freedom of speech, made a petition and other non-government people listened.
    You might think they are assholes for doing so but they have the right to be assholes.

Wait, you are now calling them Nazi's for using their freedom of speech? Aren't you people usually upset when people call you Nazi's for using your freedom of speech? Oooh, the irony.

PS. Unbiased? Have you seen those reviews. There is nothing unbiased about it.
    I read the story...it's boils down to it doesn't fit their feminist agenda so they don't want it shown...that it is coming from a feminist and it isn't another man hating piece and they don't like that. And like Jeffyman said...we don't know how low they've went (and there is no way in hell you can't deny feminists have gone low down and dirty to suppress what they don't like.). So all I can figure is you're either a feminist in support of them or you're very VERY naive.