Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Too much time spend on smartphone/social media a good reason to dump someone?

I count my blessings with my girlfriend that hardly ever uses her smartphone and doesnt use Social media (family facebook aside which she looks on once a week or so). I guess we both were born just early enough to not have to grow up with this and not really being that invested in it.

My brother on the other hand, who is younger than me and finding himself more in the generation that over-uses their Phone and social media, was not so Lucky. Not just once, but three times now he dumped a girlfriend because she was constantly making selfies, pictures of their dinner (and breakfast/lunch) and on Whats-App every chance she got.

How much would you be bothered with these things? Enough to dump your partner?

It would be annoying, but I would try to talk with them about it instead of just dumping them. It should be pretty obvious what their social media habits are before you start dating them.

Younger generation indeed.

Typically you dump a girl after mounting four quarters on the spit...

But ya I think being a selfie snapping tool is typically going to put one on the fast track to single status.

As for taking pictures of your food...

...if its some amazing dish you just made yourself in your own home hey why not snap a pic...

...but if you're sitting at fucking Outback Steakhouse and feel the urge to Instagram that Bloomin' Onion then please kindly do the world a favor and dieeeeeeeeee.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

10+ Year Old Account
    I will fully admit to taking pictures of my food sometimes...

but it was on my birthday

and it was super fancy

and my drink had rainbow sugar on the rim

:P

Other than that, the attention should be on the person, not the phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have been to about 20 restaurants over the last month or so and the amount of people who you see engrossed with their phones, whilst having dinner with a partner, amazed me - they may as well have had a takeaway at home alone for all the attention they paid to their companion/surroundings.

Deleted
    I would probably be annoyed as well.

But would I dump someone over it? Doubt it. Maybe if she would constantly do it for months..

I'd say if one is more attached to their toys than the person they supposedly want to share his/her life with, then that's a perfectly good reason to dump him/her.

Id talk to them first about it, but yeah id dump if it cant be helped lol. Look i take photos of the food i cook often, but its generally like as soon as its out the oven and when im fucking proud of what it is. Not gona take photos of a grilled cheese or something. But come on i made this perfect roastbeef that looks like it came straight from a marketing catalogue, hell yeah im gona take a picture of it and post it to my friends to make everyone hungry as fuck.

Outside my phone is more like a discussion tool. Say we are talking about something and we both wanna know something. Im gona be the first to pull up my pocket encyclopedia. But thats as far as my phone goes in face to face meeting. If i literally ignore someone and check my phone instead, i guess that person needs to get the clue that they are very, very, very uninsteresting lol.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2016-10-29 at 02:44 PM.

I'd probably generally be more irritated by social media than a phone alone. I really don't understand the obsession with creating an online image of oneself. I'm not a particularly private person, but feel such a strong need to advertise what you're up to all the time is bizarre.

I've been called 'weird' for not having Facebook before.
    About a year ago, I was actually rejected by a woman for not having a social media account. She thought it was creepy.

Hmmph, been in that situation in the past.

If someone is paying more attention to their smartphone than you, I'd suggest you calmly get up, don't say a word, and leave the building and block their number

I know people will disagree with me here, but if they are going to waste my time, they can pay for my dinner.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I've been called 'weird' for not having Facebook before.
    About a year ago, I was actually rejected by a woman for not having a social media account. She thought it was creepy.
    Same here, I didn't even have a FB account until I started online dating.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Social media didn't exist when I was young. I think that it's interesting, if a bit strange. I've always been an introvert, though, so I likely wouldn't have been interested in too much social media, had I been born in the younger generation.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    Social media didn't exist when I was young. I think that it's interesting, if a bit strange. I've always been an introvert, though, so I likely wouldn't have been interested in too much social media, had I been born in the younger generation.
    I don't like it either, I like my privacy, but it makes keeping u with family easier.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I don't like it either, I like my privacy, but it makes keeping u with family easier.
    I didn't say that I didn't like it. I said that it was interesting, but strange. If it's someone's thing, then it's their thing. In my generation, it was hanging out at the mall, some people are there every available second of their free time, others do their own thing. I only take issue with it when it becomes dangerous.

I'd say that, when push comes to shove, I prefer the ability of having social media. I, however, do not feel obligated to be on it outside of how much I want to be.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    Even sexting is 10x better than actually fucking someone else IRL.
    You gotta work on that bro...

I could hardly even get involved with anyone who overuses social media. Those people live in a different reality, there's very little crossover here.

I can't even remotely understand what the heck these people are even doing on their phones all the time. I honestly don't get it. It's the most boring, uninteresting thing ever. Something's terribly wrong with those people and they're in serious, dire need of professional help.

I guess it depends. If we're talking about someone that spends most of the time on their phone when we're together all the times we're together going out I would say yes. Is the time you spend together and yet this person prefers to stay on their phone despite supposedly being on a relationship with you.

Deleted
    I mean, I'd rather my partner sexts than actually fucks another guy.

But you probably knew that.
    Personally I'd rather they did neither, but perhaps that's me being old fashioned.

I mean, I'd rather my partner sexts than actually fucks another guy.

But you probably knew that.
    I'm not so sure sometimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good reason?

That's subjective. I don't think it's a good reason. I think it's a superficial reason.

Perhaps someone is just a bit too picky.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..