Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Exclamation Anyone else not feel like PVPing this expansion?

I dont know what it is. But lately I log into do my WQs, maybe grind some artrifact power, do a bg then log off if it's not a raid night. Previous expansions I always wanted to do arenas / bgs but this expansion its like meh. What's changed?

I think there's more progress to be made in PvE this time around, mostly because of AP. There's always something more to grind.

despite all its short comings I find it still pretty fun. that being said if you aren't having fun with PvP there are a plethora of other things to do, PvE is definitely more rewardable as reward/progress is more tangible and noticable.

I've pvp'd every expansion since vanilla. Not only does everything just seem "off" in pvp since the 7.0 pre patch, they took away the carrot. The carrot wasn't gear, or cosmetics, or AP, or honor, or talents. The carrot was getting geared up, learning how to play your class, and wrecking noobs.

It was the special fucked up unbalance that kept it interesting. Now it's all baseline and "even", but still unbalanced... It's just bad. You can tell by rated participation and even queue times that a majority agrees it's bad.

Whoever made these pvp changes for legion shouldn't be aloud to work on mmo's, they don't get the genre.

Much as I hated the old gear imbalance, I'm inclined to agree with the above poster. It just doesn't feel rewarding without something special to look forward to outside of the usual 'exploit the OP class for rating, get butt-ugly elite skins'. At this point PvP feels like it's getting to pet-battles level of 'tacked on'.

It's not quite as bad as mission table and the gameplay is enjoyable enough at least 60% of the time (though bad design is still a problem), but the whole thing just makes me feel the kind of apathy I haven't felt since MoP release dailies. It's not a nice feeling, especially for something that's supposed to be high-adrenaline and energetic.

Part of the reason is healers still being able to top people off (and escape beating) way too easily -- as a dota / ex tf2 player this really has been the biggest issue in PvP for a long time to me, and while they have taken some steps to make it more manageable it's still frustrating to chase monks / druids for 2 hours not being able to accomplish anything worth calling 'pvp'.

15+ Year Old Account
    PVP is by far the best it ever was in WoW, thanks to stat templates.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

I'd argue that even though PvP gear is gone, gear is still somewhat relevant. And there's AP grind and Honor talent grind as well (minor though the later may be for committed PvPers).

Bottomline, the amount you've grinded for your character will still increase your win-chance, just less so. I definitely feel a lot weaker on characters that have just dinged 110 than on my main.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    PVP is by far the best it ever was in WoW, thanks to stat templates.
    "Signed, someone who doesn't PVP anyway"

Thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by solarfallz View Post
    "Signed, someone who doesn't PVP anyway"

Thanks for your input.
    I would have somewhat agreed with him just three weeks ago.

Deleted
    Pvp's kinda missing the carrot. 2-3 hour of arena'ing for the 10 wins just for an item that might or might not be an upgrade what you're already using is kinda meh.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyJester View Post
    I think there's more progress to be made in PvE this time around, mostly because of AP. There's always something more to grind.
    This.

I love BGs, but haven't been into a single one this expansion yet. And I'm honor level 28. I should really get back into them.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Nothing to grind for? Honor ranks, hello?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    I dont know what it is. But lately I log into do my WQs, maybe grind some artrifact power, do a bg then log off if it's not a raid night. Previous expansions I always wanted to do arenas / bgs but this expansion its like meh. What's changed?
    1. Almost no gear, and the gear the game gives is random, meaning that in most cases it won't be upgrade for you - just like in pve.
    2. Awful terrible balance. Unless you're melee, you won't have fun in pvp.

So in general, in previous expansions you were raped until you grind yourself good gear and then you start raping others. Nowadays, you either rape 24/7 if you are playing melee, or you're being raped 24/7 if you're a caster, and no gear can change it. Yeah sure, you can try to find yourself a healer and a melee and play 3s... but again, pvp is not all about 3s. Duels, random BGs, 2s are hell for a caster.
    No more time wasted in WoW.. still reading this awesome forum, though

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the rewards in terms of BGs are better now. It's more incentive than a loss giving 6 AP or a win giving 3 Swiftness Potions. However I'd still much rather have Honor Points back and grind gear through PVP instead of the RNG Dream of an upgrade.

I don't enjoy BGs as much as I did in WoD, but I still find some enjoyment.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    Much as I hated the old gear imbalance, I'm inclined to agree with the above poster. It just doesn't feel rewarding without something special to look forward to outside of the usual 'exploit the OP class for rating, get butt-ugly elite skins'. At this point PvP feels like it's getting to pet-battles level of 'tacked on'.

It's not quite as bad as mission table and the gameplay is enjoyable enough at least 60% of the time (though bad design is still a problem), but the whole thing just makes me feel the kind of apathy I haven't felt since MoP release dailies. It's not a nice feeling, especially for something that's supposed to be high-adrenaline and energetic.

Part of the reason is healers still being able to top people off (and escape beating) way too easily -- as a dota / ex tf2 player this really has been the biggest issue in PvP for a long time to me, and while they have taken some steps to make it more manageable it's still frustrating to chase monks / druids for 2 hours not being able to accomplish anything worth calling 'pvp'.
    I never thought I'd say I miss the mission table. In WoD I'd spend a few mins a day on alts "doing what I was supposed to do", gold, progression(kek), mats, free gear, k done. Then I'd do whatever I wanted, which was mostly pvp. Now if I do what I'm supposed to do I don't get to just fuck off and do what I want... in a video game. I'm underpowered because I don't want to grind AP, behind on the hall because I don't want to grind OR, quest logs are full up because they keep sending me to the same mythics and kill xavius for the 5th time quests... everyone's like "oo0oo it's so much content", but when you actually play the game and do all the different things( I try to do everything ), they send you to the same places you've been, killing the same thing you already killed.

Yeah man, It's like doesn't attract me at all!

Yet again, it never has

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsbybutters View Post
    The carrot wasn't gear, or cosmetics, or AP, or honor, or talents. The carrot was getting geared up, learning how to play your class, and wrecking noobs.
    Hmm, please explain

Quote Originally Posted by savagepug View Post
    Hmm, please explain
    Earning, struggling, and buying gear =/= here's some gear! I remember getting stun locked and mowed down in past expansions while gearing, and I'd think "I can't wait to do that". And I would. And then I'd do it again on alts, learning, moving up, having fun, back when you could gear up and put a hurting on fotm classes that were gearing up. Little moments of pwnage and fun in a sea on nonsense and imbalance. At the end of the day fuck the rewards, the stats, rating... this is a video game, I'm here for fun. I can't seem to find it in pvp at all now.

If you were only looking forward to "pwning the noob" in previous expansions then thats not something that was right with the game, it was something that was, and probably still is, wrong with you.

This right now is a total mess because of the gearing process and the glaring imbalances between melee and casters, including even less customization and optimisation that lies in the players hands. The devs that are at the helm right now are doing everything, so that the user has no choice left in order to truly optimize his class and suit it to his playstyle. Remember, this is still an mmorpg, yet the rpg elements and stat optimising is almost gone, the only part where there is still a bit of it left is pve.

And they wont tire to keep telling you that they are doing this for the good of the game so that they can balance it better. Yeah guys, guess what? If you already strip it down so much and then you still cant get it done, there might be that off chance, that they are just not good enough at their job... and perhaps it might be better for the game, to give some control back to the players, instead of failing time and time again... this is going on since cata, when they first started pruning stuff and taking choice away, and the game has been in decline since then, because with every new addon, the games combat system feels more and more shallow.

Deleted
    I still play quite a lot PvP, but the system just doesn't work well.

I understand they wanted to go for the "only skill will matter" appeal with PvP in legion, but the thing is - the stats are really not the same for everyone.
    1) Gear still makes some difference, to a lesser extent, but still 8% more stats can make the difference in tight arenas.
    2) Your artifact traits are the biggest boost you can get in PvP right now, in some cases probably even more than honor talents.
    And in both of these cases, PvE is much quicker way to obtain them. The random rewards from BGs are a joke and I've never gotten thing better than 845 ilvl (prestige 4 resto druid doing mostly random BGs) and one weekly item based on rating is also quite low. You get quite good AP from honor levels on higher AK, but still, running M+ dungeons offers way faster payouts, same with gear.
    The prestige system made some sense before, but now it's just a joke. Why even "reset" honor levels when you don't lose the honor talents? They introduced something which is present in different multiplayer games (CoD for example), where you get only cosmetic bonus at the end, but have to go through progression again if you decide to prestige. I did 3 of the 4 prestige levels on the previous patch and it was a pain to play without the honor talents, but it made at least some sense. Now, it doesn't, they could just as well raise levels to 1000 and leave it at that.
    The last part would be world PvP which is just broken. Rogues and DHs killing you in single stun, balance druid killing people in one Full Moon etc, it's just absurd. Putting fixed stats in instanced PvP to dodge this issue is just laziness.
    I won't go into class balance because you know... that's for a longer post.

Overall I always liked the things other people already said - going through equipping my PvP char, getting better at playing and getting better gear, then playing those random BGs geared and smashing newbies. Now, I just feel ike PvP is more and more only a pasttime for PvE players to go in for the 10 arena wins a week or occasional random BG. It's not viable to play full time, there are just not good rewards from doing PvP (but thanks for the swiftness potion and pvp feast blizz).