Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Jailed anti-Putin activist says he is being tortured in jail

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ru...KBN12W4CS?il=0

A Russian opposition activist who became the first person to be jailed under a new law for repeatedly staging peaceful anti-Kremlin protests says he is being tortured in prison and fears for his life.

A Moscow court sentenced Ildar Dadin, 34, to three years in prison in December for holding a series of one-man protests, although his term was reduced to two and a half years on appeal.

Russian rights activists regard Dadin, an outspoken critic of President Vladimir Putin and his policies, as a political prisoner. The authorities say Dadin broke a law, introduced after big anti-Kremlin protests, that criminalizes anyone who violates protest rules more than twice in 180 days.

In a letter to his wife from prison in northwest Russia, published on Tuesday by the online news portal Meduza, Dadin said he was being subjected to beatings in which around 10 prison guards would kick him at the same time.

He said he had also had been hung up like a piece of meat with his hands handcuffed behind his back, that he had been stripped and threatened with rape, and that the prison governor had warned him he would be murdered if he complained.

"Regular beatings, bullying, humiliation, insults, intolerable detention conditions – it's happening to the other prisoners as well," the letter said.

Dadin said if he was subjected similar treatment again, "it's unlikely that I'll last more than a week".

Anastasia Zotova, his wife, said on social media she had felt something was wrong when prison authorities had not allowed her to speak to her husband on the phone or to visit.

Valery Maksimenko, the deputy head of the prison service, told the Interfax news agency that a medical investigation had not found any injuries on Dadin, and that Dadin had confirmed as much in a video interview.

He said an investigation into the allegations was under way. A spokeswoman for the prison service did not respond to a request to comment on whether Dadin had retracted his claims.

Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for Putin, told reporters when asked about the matter that Putin would be informed about Dadin's letter.

"This is a case which merits the closest attention of the relevant authorities, in this case the prison service," said Peskov.

"In the event of my sudden death, you may be told that I committed suicide, had an accident, was shot while trying to escape, or (died) fighting with another prisoner," he wrote.

"But this would be a lie."

(Additional reporting by Svetlana Reiter and Denis Pinchuk; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

7+ Year Old Account
    Dadin is surely idiot, but he dont deserve that. I mean, russian prison is not best place in the world by itself, but shit he described is horrible. Unfortunately its regular practic here, doesnt matter the reason why someone was prisoned.

Deleted
    Another regular day in Russia.

That's why Putin is bringing the KGB back, everyone knows the biggest threat to Russia is Russians.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Sounds like total bs to me, first article refuses to go into detail on what laws he broke n then makes a loooong list of complaints as if he's was just about to bring down Putin n in response they throw everything n the kitchen sink too in order to shut him up, I guess he has some super duper secrets n isn't making some shit up to get Washingtons attention (green card)..

There r murders n terrorists who get better treatment than what he described n he is a virtual nobody.

He should stay away from the Americans, CIA tends to whack people like him who r unimportant but r potrayed oversized important on western propaganda such as CNN FOX...
    When you r more important dead than alive to US, stay da fvck away from Americans...

A dead give away was the threat of rape, I thought Russia frowned on homo-sexuality!??!!!@...

While he was at it, he should have claimed they were re-opening the gulags just because from him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    That's why Putin is bringing the KGB back, everyone knows the biggest threat to Russia is Russians.
    Ha ha ha ha ha...you are so sad..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, human rights and Russia are incompatible things. I hope the guy will find a way out, although it is hard to think of anything that can help him now. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of which, Russia and human rights.
    Amnesty International evicted from its Moscow office
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

"Regular beatings, bullying, humiliation, insults, intolerable detention conditions – it's happening to the other prisoners as well," the letter said.
    So in other words: The Model Prison.

Ha, I know I say that now because I hate criminals and I'd love to see this be how US prisons are run.

But I also bite my tongue because I know this guy ended up in prison because he opposed the State which is something that could very well happen to America one day given the path we're currently on.
    MAGA
    When all you do is WIN WIN WIN

Regular beatings but no marks? Confirmed by the guy himself? I don't think Russia is above torture but this story seems like bs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Regular beatings but no marks? Confirmed by the guy himself? I don't think Russia is above torture but this story seems like bs.
    It is professionals' work: there are ways to torture/beat a person that don't leave any marks. I don't want to get into the details, as that is a very dark topic, and probably not even allowed here - but, suffice to say, I don't see any exaggeration in this story, based on my family's own experience of interaction with dictatorship governmental organizations.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    It is professionals' work: there are ways to torture/beat a person that don't leave any marks. I don't want to get into the details, as that is a very dark topic, and probably not even allowed here - but, suffice to say, I don't see any exaggeration in this story, based on my and my family's own experience of interaction with dictatorship governmental organizations.
    Where do you come from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Where do you come from?
    I used to live in Belarus, Russia and a bit of Uzbekistan, before moving to the US. In Belarus and Russia, let's say, one member of my family got into trouble two times for some random reasons. Not political, so apparently it wasn't as nasty as in this case - but things he has told me about the methods of these folks resemble what's described here. And, well, there is a lot of testimonies from people who have gone through Chinese prison system as well: some horrible reads.

Is there any other evidence besides his word?

Damn, Hillary just has people shot in the head.

Wonder which is worse. Constant torture or death.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Dentelan View Post
    Dadin is surely idiot, but he dont deserve that. I mean, russian prison is not best place in the world by itself, but shit he described is horrible. Unfortunately its regular practic here, doesnt matter the reason why someone was prisoned.
    'An idiot'? Why? Even under misinterpreted Russian law solitary pickets are allowed. He had minor charges for those pickets (administrative penalty) and got idiotic and barbaric capital punishment of 3 years in prison.

I used to live in Belarus, Russia and a bit of Uzbekistan, before moving to the US. In Belarus and Russia, let's say, one member of my family got into trouble two times for some random reasons. Not political, so apparently it wasn't as nasty as in this case - but things he has told me about the methods of these folks resemble what's described here. And, well, there is a lot of testimonies from people who have gone through Chinese prison system as well: some horrible reads.
    Seems like a rough life.

It is professionals' work: there are ways to torture/beat a person that don't leave any marks. I don't want to get into the details, as that is a very dark topic, and probably not even allowed here - but, suffice to say, I don't see any exaggeration in this story, based on my family's own experience of interaction with dictatorship governmental organizations.
    Huh. Interesting. I'll take your word for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a rough life.
    I wouldn't call it rough, probably billions people have had it worse than me and even the mentioned family member. And, well, people adapt to challenges. Some weren't as lucky, however, like the guy in the story.

I wouldn't call it rough, probably billions people have had it worse than me and even the mentioned family member. And, well, people adapt to challenges. Some weren't as lucky, however, like the guy in the story.
    Well rough compared to mine. The most difficult thing I've been through was my childhood in Colombia and even then it wasn't really bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well rough compared to mine. The most difficult thing I've been through was my childhood in Colombia and even then it wasn't really bad.
    I suppose, for every person there is someone who's had it rougher and someone who's had it easier.