Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I am participating. i will be looking like the biggest bum on my block come december

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Smooth makes it like a little girl. Full bush to me is very womanly and embracing of one's sexuality and gender. You don't want sausage that's tough and plain. You want it well seasoned and easy to break apart.
    And that's your take. Personally, I won't put my face anywhere near hair (hate the way it feels), much less my mouth. You can have yours "well-seasoned". I prefer mine squeaky clean, silky smooth and aesthetically-pleasing. I won't touch anything that looks like roast beef, either, unless it's, you know, actually roast beef.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    That's interesting. Doesn't prostate cancer get exacerbated by high levels of testosterone as well?
    There's some debate still on that. But what I was referencing is that some prostate tumors produce testosterone, meaning when they're active, the other production areas (testicles, hypothalamus, pituitary) either reduce production or stop production. Meaning when you remove the tumor, they still aren't producing. Testicular cancer can mean losing one or more of your testicles resulting in lower testosterone as well.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've not shaved since my holiday in mid October so I've ended up with a bit of a rolling start. I didn't even plan to do Movember (what no-shave November is call in Australia) but I may was well just keep going until the end of the month. I'll still be shaving my head though. Being bald and not shaving it ever week or so can start to look pretty average.

Even at 32 my beard is patchy as hell and my moustache comes in white. Oh well, no going back now.

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    Shaving sounds like a barbaric practice
    Pretty sure there is something ironic about this statement....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosoulsu View Post
    What's wrong with you?
    Jesus, let the boys have their fun.
    I am not against having a little fun. But it should not be done at the expence of those that you aim to support. You can mock smoking, drinking or other "choice" problems. I can understand when people go vegetarian (at least for a time) to protest against animal cruelty, or wear greenpeace badges. But this is just wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Well, prostate cancer and testicular cancer work for the reference, though. Either can result in a serious deficit of testosterone, which turns into an inability to grow facial hair. Thus by growing your 'stache out, you're saying "I'm growing my facial hair in support of those that no longer can from cancer."

As for the "0 patients", that's exactly like the little pink ribbons on cars. They aren't there for some sort of passive "the energy from this ribbon helps" thing. They're there to remind people who see them that cancer research needs money. Likewise, telling people you're growing your 'stache out for Movember is telling them that they should go look up Movember and hopefully donate to testicular and prostate cancer research.

But to each his own, I guess.
    That can also be seen as a "I am growing facial hair because I have nothing to do with cancer and do not care about those who lost that ability". It works both ways. And I am speaking from experience when I say that the last thing a cancer struggling patient needs is something that constantly reminds him of his or her sickness (my uncle died from cancer). Be it bold heads, of someone bragging about cancer awareness through mocking side effects of their chem treatment. It is similar to "I am giong to eat a lot to support starving people in Africa". Believe me when I say that exactly zero patients need that sort of attention.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2016-11-04 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already have a beard anyway, ez.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    This is just daft... Are there no better ways to raise cancer awareness than correlate facial hair with cancer? Does anyone actually believe that this will help in the slightest?
    How about a totally "bold december" then? Everyone should shave their heads (eyebrows and all) to actually resemble a cancer patient after a chem treatment. And you can donate money you save on shampoo and stuff to charity as well. Now that I can correlate with raising cancer awareness. But this november thing is just an ego stroke, the same as "I am a Prius driver and you are just a generic forest hating, Ford driving douche bag" type of thing. Exactly 0 patients are going to be helped by this.
    Funny since you mentioned it - but for well over a decade now Australia/New Zealand has had the World's Greatest Shave/Shave for a Cure initiatives that raise money for Leukemia and the like where the charity workers will shave all of your hair clean off in front of a crowd.
    Last edited by Radio; 2016-11-04 at 12:22 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    some girls at work mentioning they wont shave their arms, legs, face, or down stairs.
    /barf

they must not be very concerned about getting laid.

No. Just no.

can't participate myself. Must shave for work.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, when facial hair gets to that 1-2cm stage it just itches like a motherfucker and it feels like my face is dirty all the time, I just can't stand it

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Are the men also supporting the women that decide to partake in No-Shave November?
    Funny you say that, I once told my girlfriend that I wanted to grow out my facial hair just for fun, and she was all like "I have to shave my legs though". My response was "I never said that". You can almost see her mind being blown.

Although she likes her legs smooth, so she'll keep doing it anyway.

She also stared me down when I said it's no shave November.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't do it. I have bad OCD and if my face starts feeling itchy I have to shave it off.

I'll probably stop trimming this month although my beard is patchy in the middle. Im 18 so I guess that's okay for now but I'll absolutely look like a twat. Still gonna do it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

Better option.
    I fully support this.

I let mine grow from time to time hoping it finally looks okay, then I get disappointed and shave. Its about time to shave again.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did no shave October so I dont catch shit with the family at Thanksgiving. Also for the ladies out there please continue to shave the men in your life will thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by idunnowatdo View Post
    Anyone participating in this? I trimmed my beard a few weeks ago but now its gonna go nuts. If i shave its back in full force @ 2 weeks. I see a couple of people at work doing it and some girls at work mentioning they wont shave their arms, legs, face, or down stairs. Will post progress pics mid november.
    Call it by it's proper name. It is called Movember.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post

Better option.
    shouldnt it be rimjob for the cure?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaaz View Post
    I am not against having a little fun. But it should not be done at the expence of those that you aim to support. You can mock smoking, drinking or other "choice" problems. I can understand when people go vegetarian (at least for a time) to protest against animal cruelty, or wear greenpeace badges. But this is just wrong.

That can also be seen as a "I am growing facial hair because I have nothing to do with cancer and do not care about those who lost that ability". It works both ways. And I am speaking from experience when I say that the last thing a cancer struggling patient needs is something that constantly reminds him of his or her sickness (my uncle died from cancer). Be it bold heads, of someone bragging about cancer awareness through mocking side effects of their chem treatment. It is similar to "I am giong to eat a lot to support starving people in Africa". Believe me when I say that exactly zero patients need that sort of attention.
    Well, As I said, to each his own. Considering I was one of those patients and not only does it not bother me in the slightest, but I actually support it. I get the message, and I even agree that it can be seen both ways, but if you're doing it to actually support the cause, it's a good thing in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ondray View Post
    This is something Mustafa or Muhammad would say.
    Now you can add a chibi to that list.. evil shaving and it's irksomeness. No religious reasoning, unless of course you want to bow to the chibi.. for chibi is good. Well grading on a curve helps maintain that I suppose.. but back to the point.. dragging razors over faces sounds like something that the Samaritans should be looking into.