Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    So basicly The British Empire but spanning the entirety of the world? :P
    No, of course not.

You'd be British Overseas Territories, not part of the British Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by AnoExpress View Post
    Having time zones makes a lot of sense from a user perspective. When i say that i sleep from 04:00 to 09:30 you perfectly understand what i mean. When i say that is sleep from 02:00 - 07:30 you still get some sense of the meaning conveyed as the offset is only 2h. When i say that i sleep from 14:00 - 19:30 all you get is the duration. You don't get any sort of info about what that actually means in terms of "is there daylight outside?". Trying to get rid of that just because some people can't get their head around timezones is asinine to say the least.
    I was thinking along similar lines. It gets dark at 8pm now. If we did away with zones it would get dark at 1pm since were GMT -7. That would take some getting used to.

It might make setting clocks easier though.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Never been good at tracking the different time zones, plus I live close to GMT so there would be little issue for me (and while we're at it let's also get rid of AM/PM).
    That's the thing you will still basically have to be know the time difference. Where I'm at right now it's 8:03 am. In Australia it's 3 am. With time zones I know while this would be a reasonable time to call someone there for me for them they are most likely still sleeping. If we got rid of time zones I wouldn't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    The normal daily cycle of our lightbulb in the sky doesn't happen everywhere similarly, at the same time. So who's normal time is everyone supposed to adopt? Possibly at the cost of their day being always dark?

Is it a lobby of major pharmacy, that wants massive boost to their anti-depressant sales?
    I love how few people seem to understand this, with the universal time you don't go to work at 8am and it's dark, you go to work at 7pm and it's daylight, in fact the exact same daylight as it was before "earth time"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    That's the thing you will still basically have to be know the time difference. Where I'm at right now it's 8:03 am. In Australia it's 3 am. With time zones I know while this would be a reasonable time to call someone there for me for them they are most likely still sleeping. If we got rid of time zones I wouldn't know that.
    Yes you would, it'd be significantly easier actually. It'd be 5pm for both you and Australia and you'd know not to call someone in Australia because they'll probably be asleep.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Good luck getting the entire world to agree on which part of the world gets to be considered the "center" of the new time zone.
    That would obviously be based on GMT... the only one that truly makes sense... the rest is artificial...

Having time zones makes a lot of sense from a user perspective. When i say that i sleep from 04:00 to 09:30 you perfectly understand what i mean. When i say that is sleep from 02:00 - 07:30 you still get some sense of the meaning conveyed as the offset is only 2h. When i say that i sleep from 14:00 - 19:30 all you get is the duration. You don't get any sort of info about what that actually means in terms of "is there daylight outside?". Trying to get rid of that just because some people can't get their head around timezones is asinine to say the least.
    I get literally the exact same information from every one of those examples, you sleep for 5.5 hours....

I don't really give a crap, its a waste of thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    2am should have some fairly consistent meaning.
    We should be able to recognise what that refers to no matter what part of the world it is used in.
    Time Zones allow that.

As for getting rid of daylight saving time, that I can get behind.
    It is just messy for people to actually support.

Not even close.
    It isn't just a perception change, but a communication change.
    How do you communicate with someone in a different time zone a specific time of the day based on the day-night cycle if that measure isn't consistent.
    How do you communicate 2 hours after midday.
    Why wouldn't you be able to communicate? Everyone knows that if you are in Europe that the Americas are about 6+ hours behind and -6 in the other direction... that won't change... the moments of when you communicate won't change cause you use one time... it is still day when it is day and night when it is night regardless of where you live at the same points as before... you just make it simpler... yes 13:00 could mean middle of the day, middle of the night and everything in between depending on where you are ... but it won't take long to understand "13:00 HERE means day, 13 THERE means evening" etc .. like it is now you have to remember timezones anyway, so the amount of things to remember don't change, the system just gets simplified..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenris the Shaman View Post
    I'd rather be able to do stuff during the day and sleep at night thanks. My routine shouldn't be disturbed because some people up top decided that the world should start following one clock.
    You don't understand. You'd still be doing those things at the same moments, just not at the same hours.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I was thinking along similar lines. It gets dark at 8pm now. If we did away with zones it would get dark at 1pm since were GMT -7. That would take some getting used to.

It might make setting clocks easier though.
    Yes but the bigger difference is when you talk to people across multiple timezones. At that point you lose all info regarding time of day unless you keep track of where everyone is from and what a certain time means for them in terms of time of the day. As for clocks it's more or less the same thing for average people. You'll still set them to an arbitrary time.

The side that's going to be affected the most is everything that works with timezones i.e. flights, banks, your TV schedule, and all manner of random bullshit you don't even want to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Why wouldn't you be able to communicate? Everyone knows that if you are in Europe that the Americas are about 6+ hours behind and -6 in the other direction... that won't change... the moments of when you communicate won't change cause you use one time... it is still day when it is day and night when it is night regardless of where you live at the same points as before... you just make it simpler... yes 13:00 could mean middle of the day, middle of the night and everything in between depending on where you are ... but it won't take long to understand "13:00 HERE means day, 13 THERE means evening" etc .. like it is now you have to remember timezones anyway, so the amount of things to remember don't change, the system just gets simplified..
    The point he's making is the same as mine. For example

"I work from 9 to 5". -> "I work from 20:00 to 4:00"
    "I couldn't sleep until 5AM". -> "I couldn't sleep until 16:00"

It's a communication change because what a certain time means i.e. 5AM - dawn is lost without timezones.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Guy says we should not only get rid of daylight savings, we should get ride of time zones too.

Does that mean I'll have to subtract 7 from GMT all the time?

Didn't Star Trek have a universal time?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/06/op...ones.html?_r=0

We will awaken Sunday to yet another disturbance in the chronosphere — our twice-yearly jolt from resetting the clocks, mechanical and biological. Thanks to daylight saving time, we get a dose of jet lag without going anywhere.

Most people would be happy to dispense with this oddity of timekeeping, first imposed in Germany 100 years ago. But we can do better. We need to deep-six not just daylight saving time, but the whole jerry-rigged scheme of time zones that has ruled the world’s clocks for the last century and a half.

The time-zone map is a hodgepodge — a jigsaw puzzle by Dalí. Logically you might assume there are 24, one per hour. You would be wrong. There are 39, crossing and overlapping, defying the sun, some offset by 30 minutes or even 45, and fluctuating on the whims of local satraps.

Let us all — wherever and whenever — live on what the world’s timekeepers call Coordinated Universal Time, or U.T.C. (though “earth time” might be less presumptuous). When it’s noon in Greenwich, Britain, let it be 12 everywhere. No more resetting the clocks. No more wondering what time it is in Peoria or Petropavlovsk. Our biological clocks can stay with the sun, as they have from the dawn of history. Only the numerals will change, and they have always been arbitrary.

Some mental adjustment will be necessary at first. Every place will learn a new relationship with the hours. New York (with its longitudinal companions) will be the place where people breakfast at noon, where the sun reaches its zenith around 4 p.m., and where people start dinner close to midnight. (“Midnight” will come to seem a quaint word for the zero hour, where the sun still shines.) In Sydney, the sun will set around 7 a.m., but the Australians can handle it; after all, their winter comes in June.

The human relationship with time changed substantially with the arrival of modernity — trains and telegraphs and wristwatches all around — and we can see it changing yet again in our globally networked era. We should synchronize our watches for real.

I’m not the first to propose this seemingly radical notion. Aviation already uses U.T.C. (called Zulu Time) — fewer collisions that way — and so do many computer folk. The visionary novelist Arthur C. Clarke suggested a single all-earth time zone when he was pondering the future of global communication as far back as 1976.

Two Johns Hopkins University professors, Richard Conn Henry and Steve H. Hanke, an astrophysicist and an economist, have been advocating it for several years. As strange as earth time might seem at first, the awkwardness would soon pass and the benefits would be “immense,” Professors Henry and Hanke argue. “The economy — that’s all of us — would receive a permanent ‘harmonization dividend’ ”— the efficiency benefits that come from a unified time zone. Drawbacks? Those bar-crawler T-shirts that read “It’s 5 o’clock somewhere” will go obsolete.

Perhaps you’re asking why the Greenwich meridian gets to define earth time. Why should only England keep the traditional hours? Yes, it’s unfair, but that ship has sailed. The French don’t like it either. “The U.K. would turn into a time theme park,” suggested an English Twitter user, John Powers, “where you could experience 9 o’clock as your grandparents knew it.”

People forget how recent is the development of our whole ungainly apparatus. A century and a half ago, time zones didn’t exist. They were a consequence of the invention of railroads. At first they were neither popular nor easy to understand. When New York reset its clocks to railway time on Sunday, Nov. 18, 1883, this newspaper explained the messy affair as follows:

“When the reader of The Times consults his paper at 8 o’clock this morning at his breakfast table it will be 9 o’clock in St. John, New Brunswick, 7 o’clock in Chicago, or rather in St. Louis — for Chicago authorities have refused to adopt the standard time, perhaps because the Chicago meridian was not selected as the one on which all time must be based — 6 o’clock in Denver, Col., and 5 o’clock in San Francisco. That is the whole story in a nut-shell.”

Time, that most ancient and mysterious of our masters, seemed to be coming under human jurisdiction. Time seemed malleable. It was no coincidence that H. G. Wells invented his time machine then, nor that Einstein developed his theory of relativity soon after. With everything so unsettled, Germany created Sommerzeit, “summer time,” as daylight saving time is still called in Europe.

“There was much talk of relative time, physiological time, subjective time and even compressible time,” wrote the French novelist Marcel Aymé in “The Problem of Summer Time,” a 1943 time-travel story. “It became obvious that the notion of time, as our ancestors had transmitted it down the millennia, was in fact absurd claptrap.”

Aymé was reacting in part to the politicization of time zones: The Nazis imposed Berlin time on Paris when they occupied it in World War II. It is no less political today, no less arbitrary, and no less confusing. Last year North Korea set its clocks back 30 minutes to create an oddball time zone all its own, Pyongyang time — just to show that it could, apparently. China has established a single time zone across its breadth, overlapping six time zones in its northern and southern neighbors.

It might seem impossible to imagine all the world’s nations uniting behind an official earth time. We’re a country that can’t seem to get rid of the penny or embrace the meter. Still, the current system is unstable, a Rube Goldberg contraption ready to collapse from its own complexity.

The human relationship with time is changing again. We’re not living in the railroad world anymore. We’re living in a networked world — a zone of experience where the sun neither rises nor sets. What time zone governs Twitter? What time is it on Facebook? There’s plenty to argue about in cyberspace, as in the real world. We could at least agree on the time.
    It's not just a time zone, it's a date zone, guy. You will be on the wrong day in parts of the world without time zones. This idea is not very well thought out....

Deleted
    Yes but the bigger difference is when you talk to people across multiple timezones. At that point you lose all info regarding time of day unless you keep track of where everyone is from and what a certain time means for them in terms of time of the day. As for clocks it's more or less the same thing for average people. You'll still set them to an arbitrary time.

The side that's going to be affected the most is everything that works with timezones i.e. flights, banks, your TV schedule, and all manner of random bullshit you don't even want to think about.

- - - Updated - - -

The point he's making is the same as mine. For example

"I work from 9 to 5". -> "I work from 20:00 to 4:00"
    "I couldn't sleep until 5AM". -> "I couldn't sleep until 16:00"

It's a communication change because what a certain time means i.e. 5AM - dawn is lost without timezones.
    Ok, that would indeed be an issue but I suspect the way people communicate would change, evolve and people would cope and find new ways to express themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    Ok, that would indeed be an issue but I suspect the way people communicate would change, evolve and people would cope and find new ways to express themselves.
    Or since there is nothing wrong with how it is and changing would cause more problems than it's worth just leave it alone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WintersLegion View Post
    Or since there is nothing wrong with how it is and changing would cause more problems than it's worth just leave it alone.
    Myeah, I kinda agree on this and after thinking about it more would have to change my opinion. I do however believe daylight saving time needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Lets have the US adapt the metric system before this happens.
    Done. With the Mendenhall Order of 1893.

Quote Originally Posted by Lartok View Post
    you'd know not to call someone in Australia because they'll probably be asleep.
    Do I know this because I've memorized the operating hours of people around the globe, or because I've been forced to look it up?
    The reports of my death were surprisingly well-sourced and accurate.

daylight savings time never really made sense to me, i get it if you want more daylight especially in winter time, but i would prefer a constant time year round

gaining and hour, and losing an hour is kinda just meh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radio View Post
    Currently:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia (+10).
    - It's currently 2pm UTC.
    - Adds 10 hours to his time and realises that it would be rude to call as it is 12am in Sydney.

UTC for all:
    - Office Worker working 9am-5pm UTC has to contact someone in Sydney, Australia.
    - It's currently 2pm UTC.
    - Working hours for Sydney are 11pm-7am (-10 from UTC working hours).
    - Realises that it would be rude to call as it is 2pm everywhere and Sydney considers 2pm their midnight.

In both instances you have to perform some form of +/- 10, as in the first case you have to know what time it is in Sydney and the second case you have to know what is considered daylight time in Sydney. I argue that the former is an easier conversion to make.
    That is actually a valid reason - Thank you. Though I must say I don't think it's a good enough reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgettable View Post
    That is actually a valid reason - Thank you. Though I must say I don't think it's a good enough reason.
    Here's my other one as a Software dev - countless applications/websites out there perform some kind of date CRUD operation. They may have stored their dates in UTC, they may have stored their dates in local time, they may have used a standardised date conversion method which works with the given system, they may have had some dumbarse snowflake developer who coded up his own time zone engine. Etc etc etc.

Basically - it would cost companies a lot of money in converting, for what gain? It hasn't become any easier for them to make business calls.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe that if we scrap DST globally, then timezones will become indirectly easier. I believe that the remaining complexity due to timezones is hard to avoid because doing business with someone at the opposite end of the world is never going to be trivial.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Daylight savings, sure. Time Zones? No. That's just stupid.
    I'm with this guy!
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I approve of this.

We should also adopt one language, one currency, one flag and one head of state. Naturally as you will all be adopting Greenwich Mean Time, we may as well keep it uniform and adopt English, pound sterling, Union Jack and Her Maj QE2.
    Im onto you.