Deleted

New build for WoW - £430 budget - UK

I am looking for a budget PC which will play WoW. I've put together an initial parts list based on browsing the other threads http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/palurien/saved/8xhycf

However as most of the recommendations on here are for US-posters, I'd value your views on whether the parts are still appropriate / value-for-money based on the UK prices.

The top end of my budget is £430, but if I could go below it that would be a big bonus.

I appreciate that what I will get for £430 is fairly limited, so (assuming performance and price being equal) parts which would allow me to add upgrades at a later date would be good.

Budget: £430

Resolution: 1920 x 1080.

Games / Settings desired: Predominantly WoW (including raids). Maintaining decent FPS (say ~30+) is more important than settings. Other games include Diablo 3, Civilization 6 and SWTOR.

Other use: Social media, pictures, iTunes.

Parts that can be re-used: Monitor, peripherals and OS (Windows 10). The PC I'm replacing is ~8 years old (with a few upgrades since then) and dying, so don't think I can realistically reuse any of the internal parts.

Many thanks.

Deleted
    Does anyone have any views to offer on the components and/or price of the parts I linked please?

Deleted
    The parts you selected will do everything you want them to do, great budget gaming rig. Enjoy.

You won't be on max settings, but it'll do.

In fact, I've been limping along on really low settings since Legion started. i5-750, 8GB and 5870. The frame rate is actually pretty good if you switch most of the effects off. Just don't compare it to max settings, because you will start eyeing up a GTX 1070.

If you can do that until you can save more, I would seriously recommend an SSD. 500GB is the sweet spot for me, but you can get away with a 250GB if you're sensible.

Deleted
    Thanks MrBojingles and Blackmist - both really helpful replies.

Yes, Legion's what pushed my old PC over the edge too and convinced me it was time for an upgrade! SSD is next on my list after I've saved a bit more

A 1050 is faster than my 760, and i never go below 60 FPS at 7 preset (recommended). Your CPU is also about same as mine, i have an older i5. Good part choices for budget build, will play games great.

Deleted
    Thanks Fascinate - that's really encouraging to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Paluriien View Post
    Thanks Fascinate - that's really encouraging to hear!
    looks fine over all but I'd suggest investing in the 1050Ti, its worth the extra $20 - $30.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    looks fine over all but I'd suggest investing in the 1050Ti, its worth the extra $20 - $30.
    I actually view that the complete opposite, 1050ti isnt worth the extra money because the extra 2gb's of memory is and will not be useful in the future on an entry level graphics card. 1050 is the only card that makes sense between it and the 1050ti, if you are worried about higher settings or higher resolution than 1080p you should spend the extra 60 dollars over the 1050ti and get the 1060 3gb.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I actually view that the complete opposite, 1050ti isnt worth the extra money because the extra 2gb's of memory is and will not be useful in the future on an entry level graphics card. 1050 is the only card that makes sense between it and the 1050ti, if you are worried about higher settings or higher resolution than 1080p you should spend the extra 60 dollars over the 1050ti and get the 1060 3gb.
    if he is going for budget and decent performance the 1050Ti is the better value/dollar. it has more cuda core allowing for better performance at any given clock. With nvidia's turboboost 3.0 it should hit 1800MHz+ easy all on its own if he gets one with a decent heatpipe style cooler. the issue with most of the 3g $200 bracket 1060's is that they tend to be cooled by an aluminum BBQ block and no heatpipeing of anykind, this drastically limits its performance due to BBQ blobks poor cooling. a good 3g 1060 will run about $230+ pushing this into a more mid teir than budget.
    PC: CPU - i7-4790K, MoBo - MSI Z97 gaming 5, Memory - 16G Corsair vengeance LPX DDR3, GPU - EVGA 970 FTW edition, Storage- 1x Sandisk X400 M.2 512GB, 1X WD blue 1TB HDD, 1x WD green 1TB HDD, PSU - EVGA 550W 80+ bronze.

if he is going for budget and decent performance the 1050Ti is the better value/dollar. it has more cuda core allowing for better performance at any given clock. With nvidia's turboboost 3.0 it should hit 1800MHz+ easy all on its own if he gets one with a decent heatpipe style cooler. the issue with most of the 3g $200 bracket 1060's is that they tend to be cooled by an aluminum BBQ block and no heatpipeing of anykind, this drastically limits its performance due to BBQ blobks poor cooling. a good 3g 1060 will run about $230+ pushing this into a more mid teir than budget.
    Not really.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ming_X/29.html

It's better performance, sure. But performance/dollar? Nope, sorry. 1050 is currently one of the best performance/dollar options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Not really.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...ming_X/29.html

It's better performance, sure. But performance/dollar? Nope, sorry. 1050 is currently one of the best performance/dollar options out there.
    out of the box on paper the 1050 seems like the better value but in practice the Ti pulls ahead, this is due to its higher cuda core count, and manufactures being more willing to Heatpipe cool the Ti increasing its maximum possible clock speed. as I stated about 1800MHz+ is easy out of a decent 1050Ti ( may it be via boost 3.0 or manual OC ) and it will see a good gain from that higher cock, the normal 1050 won't get that high as easy because of heat issues as you push it higher related to the tendency to use pure aluminum blocks on the normal 1050 rather than heatpipes.

All this said the final decision will be what he is looking for, how much he is willing to push the budget and how soon he plans to upgrade the GPU. if he plans to keep it a while the Ti wins but if he plans to upgrade with in 6 months then the normal 1050 would be the better value for a temp hold over card.

out of the box on paper the 1050 seems like the better value but in practice the Ti pulls ahead, this is due to its higher cuda core count, and manufactures being more willing to Heatpipe cool the Ti increasing its maximum possible clock speed. as I stated about 1800MHz+ is easy out of a decent 1050Ti ( may it be via boost 3.0 or manual OC ) and it will see a good gain from that higher cock, the normal 1050 won't get that high as easy because of heat issues as you push it higher related to the tendency to use pure aluminum blocks on the normal 1050 rather than heatpipes.

All this said the final decision will be what he is looking for, how much he is willing to push the budget and how soon he plans to upgrade the GPU. if he plans to keep it a while the Ti wins but if he plans to upgrade with in 6 months then the normal 1050 would be the better value for a temp hold over card.
    Yeah, your talking about performance though, not performance/dollar. Performance wise, yeah, the more cuda cores and ability to make it clock higher make it the better performer. However, you specifically stated that it had better value/dollar, which it does not. That extra money it costs is not relative to the performance increase you get. There is a performance increase, but that performance increase is not worth the money it costs.

Deleted
    I think the 1050Ti probably stretches my budget a bit too far (and the 1060 definitely does - for now). But I appreciate the discussion nonetheless, it's been useful to read about the performance differences. Thanks!

1060 6gb prices in EU are stupid, 250 usd vs 350 eur. You can find 1050 ti around 150 eur though.