Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I find it hard to believe that this is more common in post-internet era than in the pre-internet era. People mostly just live in isolated cultural bubbles and always have. The sheer number of people I hang around with that don't know a single Trump voter is astonishing. When I visited home, I was kind of startled to realize how identical this is the other way. People simply don't associate with anyone that isn't basically the same as them.
    I find it extremely easy to believe. The cost of disassociating yourself with people on the internet is much, much lower than it is in real life; like I said, you click the "block" button and it's done for you, automagically. And as the internet facilitates more and more of people's social life, I expect radicalism to increase, not decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Not every policy but the policies they expressely vote for in a populist candiate yes. Which populist measure that they favored do you think he'll pass? Trade deals? The wall? They were literally chanting drain the swamp and then mcconel said nope.
    Some things that could plausibly happen that are favored by Republican voters:

- Repeal or significantly rolling back Medicaid expansion and other ACA policies
    - Decreasing EPA and other regulations
    - Decreased social welfare spending
    - Tighter immigration policies
    - Tax cuts

You can think these are stupid policies, but they really are what Republicans favor and they're not things that are impossible to pull off.
    Okay. Theirs views are ignorant and unrealistic for all of the reasons listed before. Now of course nobody is going to argue its realistic those trade deals will be renegotiated in favour of labor but okay. Theirs your safe space.
    The "safe space" thing again, really? Yeah, I'm a real softie, saying that we shouldn't call each other the nastiest names we can come up with over disagreements about trade policy

7+ Year Old Account
    Guys, minorities are getting beaten in the streets! Wear safety pins to show solidarity!

10+ Year Old Account
    I live in potentially one of the most multi cultural cities on the planet. I go back and forth on wether or not this sort of tribalism is really endemic. Its not clear to me that it is or that it cant be overcome but I live in Canada and its different up here. Although i mean theoretically not really. Its just theirs alot of catching up to do down south.
    Canada is ahead socially, true, but it's not perfect. But then again, as you say, we're barely out of a very right-totalitarian government and already things are getting better. Not perfect, because seeing how many people bought into the post-US elections hysteria, there's still work to do.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    I find it extremely easy to believe. The cost of disassociating yourself with people on the internet is much, much lower than it is in real life; like I said, you click the "block" button and it's done for you, automagically. And as the internet facilitates more and more of people's social life, I expect radicalism to increase, not decrease.
    What I'm saying is that these people don't know each other in real life and never have - the internet is just following the pattern.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some things that could plausibly happen that are favored by Republican voters:

- Repeal or significantly rolling back Medicaid expansion and other ACA policies
    - Decreasing EPA and other regulations
    - Decreased social welfare spending
    - Tighter immigration policies
    - Tax cuts

You can think these are stupid policies, but they really are what Republicans favor and they're not things that are impossible to pull off.

The "safe space" thing again, really? Yeah, I'm a real softie, saying that we shouldn't call each other the nastiest names we can come up with over disagreements about trade policy
    I said populist measures not republican ones.

Its really not a matter of agreement. Trade policies will simple not be renegotiated in favor of labor. To believe they will is incrediblr ignorant and if you dont like the truth of that harsh criticism you need a safe space.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2016-11-11 at 04:00 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    Its the same all around the world, just look at Brexit.
    And its mostly the Media the politician just plays into it to get the votes.
    Yeah, media is not helping it either. Trumps speech was still something else making me wonder that maybe he was just using media. I hope people would put some ice to their hats before reacting. He has not done anything yet. Fear is a very powerful tool and he played it very, very dangerously. But as Spiderman said: "With great power comes great responsibility". And great responsibility often changes people. I can only hope that it changes him to the better (humane).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    Guys, minorities are getting beaten in the streets! Wear safety pins to show solidarity!
    You're talking about conservatives in liberal cities, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who voted for Hillary, I say keep Trump as president for fours years. It's meant to be a lesson to teach those who voted Trump exactly what they did wrong. Just like how voting for George Bush has screwed over America. Clearly both parties need to be taught a lesson. Republicans, you will see how bad your policies really are. Removing the ACA is not going to fix anything. Premiums will continue to go up, while 20 million Americans are back to going to hospitals to get free treatments. Oh, and Trump just picked Top Climate Skeptic To Lead EPA Transition. Can't wait to go back to using leed as a artificial sweetener for drinks. Leaded gasoline wasn't so bad, right guys?

Democrats, you done fucked up. Bernie Sanders was your guy. He was the best choice. He's always been for gay marriage, always fought for black people, and was against the Iraq war. Hillary though, has flipped flopped on everything. She was against gay marriage, and now for it. The only reason most of you voted for her was cause she's a woman. The Democrat party worked hard to make sure she was going to win, and that backfired on them. Look with your special eyes what happened, cause now we have Trump for president. Good fucking job.

Just got done eating my salad with hard boiled eggs cause I'm going to try to stay as healthy as possible, until The shit Aubrey De Grey says comes to fruition. I want to try to avoid having to go to the doctor as much as possible, cause I have a feeling we'll go back pre-existing conditions. Cause once the ACA is removed by Trump, we're all screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahovv View Post
    It made me laugh for some reason. Oh humans and their constant need for symbolism

I said populist measures not republican ones.
    I think you're wildly overestimating how many Trump voters are actual populists and not just plain ol' Republicans. The media narrative is that something new and interesting and fancy happened, but mostly it was just lower turnout than the last couple times and regular Republicans voting Republican.

Did you quote the wrong person or something?
    yes my bad sorry

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're wildly overestimating how many Trump voters are actual populists and not just plain ol' Republicans. The media narrative is that something new and interesting and fancy happened, but mostly it was just lower turnout than the last couple times and regular Republicans voting Republican.
    Drain that swamp! Build that wall! Jabz Jabz Jabz. Those are the elements of his campaign that put him over the top.

The media narrative is that working class men and woman propelled trump to victory as an establishment fuck you. Trump IS establishment. Okay it holds no water, working class men and woman did turn out more for trump but fucked themselves in the process. What actually happened is half the country stayed home and Hillary had the most aenemic turn out.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    That's because he didn't win the election.
    Clinton won the election.
    Trump won the presidency.

Democracy, yaay..
    No, Clinton won the popular vote. Trump won the election.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyGuysHello View Post
    What gets me is all the rainbow flags in the riots. As a gay I wanted Trump pretty bad. He's quite literally the most pro-gay president we've ever had. Pence thinks gays are confused and can be cured, but he's sane on every other issue, and he has no power since Trump would never let that weenie-man out from under his thumb. That coupled with not wanting people of the Muslim religion coming in from third-world countries until ISIS is sorted out actually makes me feel safe, because they're not exactly known for leaving gays that dare to step outside alive. Pence and Trump also disagree on at least half of our issues, which honestly makes his cabinet more diverse than the Yesmen Hillary had lined up for herself.

Explain to me why other gays around this country are angry, please. This doesn't make any sense to me.
    Trump made very conflicting statements regarding LGBT rights:

-January 2016 Trump said in an interview he wants to overturn the Marriage Equality Act.
    -Trump also said he wants to nullify all of Obama's executive orders, including one that bans anti-L.G.B.T. discrimination by federal contractors.
    -He has pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act, which basically allows people like Kim Davis to discriminate LGBT.

We don't know what will happen and it is true, Trump and Mike Pence don't always agree on said issues.

However, it is frightening knowing that all those people know and simply don't care.

Drain that swamp! Build that wall! Jabz Jabz Jabz. Those are the elements of his campaign that put him over the top.

The media narrative is that working class men and woman propelled trump to victory as an establishment fuck you. Trump IS establishment. Okay it holds no water, working class men and woman did turn out more for trump but fucked themselves in the process. What actually happened is half the country stayed home and Hillary had the most aenemic turn out.
    If half the country just doesn't vote that should be a clear indication that America is rejecting the candidates, but now we have to live with it anyway.

Seeing the establishment as a monolithic entity is most unwise. Like every power structure, it's got political squabbling.

The better question is why bring up Hillary? She didnt win.
    Well this 90+ page thread seems to think so

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    Seeing the establishment as a monolithic entity is most unwise. Like every power structure, it's got political squabbling.
    Well yea so never trumpers were a thing okay. Having said.that Trump braisingly stated he bought politicians before. Somehow people heard that and said welp hes the anti establishment guy! Then voted red across the board.
    The hammer comes down:

This has been the most ironic election cycle ever. Clinton immediately jumped down Trump's throat when he said he might not accept the results. The very next day Obama and Biden were out in the media saying how terrible it was ("a threat to democracy," I believe he said). Now who are the people protesting the results? The Dems...... I would love to see Hillary, Barry and Ole Sloppy Joe come out and tell their little minions not to protest because protesting an election is a threat to our democracy.