Tanking as pala.

I've been tanking for quite a while, primarily as monk and warrior. But I was curious about paladin tanks, because alot of people tells me that they are good. But I feel really squishy, I am still leveling though. Can anybody tell me where the strength from paladins come from??
    Last edited by Kongnic11; 2016-12-20 at 09:44 PM.

I find the off-healing opportunities to be a real boon when I'm tanking, especially in mid-level Mythic+. If my health is fine and I see a dps or the healer sitting 80% or lower, I can HotP into them to top them off and give them the HoT, and it means the healer can stay on dps more and keep ahead of the timer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Genzen Han View Post
    I find the off-healing opportunities to be a real boon when I'm tanking, especially in mid-level Mythic+. If my health is fine and I see a dps or the healer sitting 80% or lower, I can HotP into them to top them off and give them the HoT, and it means the healer can stay on dps more and keep ahead of the timer.
    It's not realy handy if healers dps is lower than yours, but i can't resist help on healing also. only trying to do it on 50% or lower something like that (or when out of combat.)
    Casting it will cancel your dps
    But whatever right don't have to be optimal on outgeared stuf doing chill routines.
    It gets funnier without healer on +6 i once noticed ;p one left at half way through a dungeon.
    It's kind of tight schedule and need to actualy think what to cast when.
    Same for higher content ofcourse, i rather leave the healing to the healer then
    Or help in some extreme cases.
    Last edited by mmoca999bf711a; 2016-12-21 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kongnic11 View Post
    I've been tanking for quite a while, primarily as monk and warrior. But I was curious about paladin tanks, because alot of people tells me that they are good. But I feel really squishy, I am still leveling though. Can anybody tell me where the strength from paladins come from??
    You won’t feel squishy when you’ve had more practice. We are actually very solid tanks. Like your warrior, we wear plate and carry shields for lots of mitigation. Not quite as much as your warrior, but we balance that with more self-heals plus some very cool CDS. Tanking on a pally is all about timing SotR to take the edge off your opponents biggest attacks and using other CDs – Ardent Defender, Eye of Tyr, Guardian of Ancient Kings - to bridge any gaps. There are several good guides for prot pallies, so I won’t try to write a new one here. Suffice to say it gets better with practice.

My favorite thing about tanking on my prot pally is our versatility. Anything M+ throws at us – raging, necrotic, skittish, teeming, tyrannical – we have an answer for. We can stare down Cenarius and Odyn, take their best shots and never give an inch. We can tank it all and heal/bop/bos our healers and off-tanks at the same time. We’re great all-rounders.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-12-21 at 09:34 AM.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johndo View Post
    It's not realy handy if healers dps is lower than yours, but i can't resist help on healing also. only trying to do it on 50% or lower something like that (or when out of combat.)
    But whatever right don't have to be optimal on outgeared stuf doing chill routines.
    It gets funnier without healer on +6 i once noticed ;p one left at half way through a dungeon.
    Hand/Light of the Protector are not on the GCD, so there is no real loss of dps for casting it on a party member. Even targeting issues can be negated with a mouseover macro.
    Just make sure it comes off cooldown by the time you need to use it on yourself, and you are golden.

I've leveled multiple tanks to 110, and got 4 of them to 850+ item level. Paladins felt a bit spikey until I got up to 845+ item level, and now it feels quite strong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by johndo View Post
    It doesn't actually, since HotP is off the GCD and is instant cast. I regularly help the healers out by using HotP when I'm not needing it, in 5mans it is good for saving people from their own stupidity and in raiding it is excellent at saving people from damage spikes (ie. your co-tank eating a large hit, someone making a mistake and eating damage that should've been avoided, etc...).

Flash of Light is only worth using in extremely specific and rare situations. An example of such is on Il'gynoth, when there are no adds alive and you're just waiting for something to spawn.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2016-12-21 at 05:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Genzen Han View Post
    I confess I rarely get around to healing dps unless they are especially good and critical to our success. I do have macros set up to heal and bless my focus. In raids I focus my off-tank; in 5-mans I focus the healer. I figure if I keep heals alive, they should be able to look out for others.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"