Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    No, because I'm a lazy sack of shit who just dumps a store-bought jar of sauce and calls it a masterpiece.

I'm a simplistic man of simplistic tastes, most of which are mediocre at best.
    * do you want to have a bad time?

I make spaghetti sauce only once or twice a year, as I make at least 6.5 gallons at a time and it cooks for a minimum of 16 hours. Once it's all cooked up, I put it in canning jars for long term storage. I also make sure to have 10+ people over for dinner to enjoy the fresh sauce before canning the rest.

The amounts vary depending on my mood and how much sauce I'm making at once, but I usually use some combination of the following.

Fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
    Canned crushed tomatoes
    Canned tomato paste
    Roasted veggies (smoked and oven roasted) - tomatoes, onions, garlic, shallot, red bell peppers, mushrooms, and usually a chile pepper or two.
    Herb/Spice blend of basil, oregano, rosemary, tarragon, anise, black pepper, pink pepper, paprika, chile powder, and other spices.
    Ground beef
    Ground game meat (usually elk)
    Multiple types of sausage

I play around with adding other things, but the above are almost always in the sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Your replies are the equivalent of a dog that farts then looks at the people in the room like they did something wrong.

Veggies I put in my sauce: garlic onion tomato mushroom carrot celery

Tomato? No,
    Cabonara? Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    because i'm Jayburner and not Jaylock. and spaghetti is the best meal ever devised.
    Spaghetti isn't a meal, it's a type of pasta.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

I make a VERY special spaghetti sauce for my guests. Its my own recipe. It comes from the heart.

10+ Year Old Account

Red face

1 to 2 cans of tomato juice
    2 cans of tomato paste
    2 cans of tomato soup
    1 big can of diced tomatoes or you can just diced fresh tomatoes.
    1 onion finely chopped
    2 to 4 garlic cloves finely chopped or whole (to liking)
    4 celery stick chopped to your liking
    6 to 12 mushrooms.
    1 to 2 pounds of ground beef
    1 tablespoon of redhot
    1 teaspoon of sriracha
    Add spices to your liking. I highly recommend using a bit of sugar to reduce the bitterness of the tomatoes.

My friends and family are raving about my sauce. Always asking for a jar when I make a big batch.

Since I cook almost everything ground up with very few things bought that are processed, and the only non-homecooked meal I eat per month is from the Pizza place next door, yeah.

Butter, onion (2, finely diced), garlic(5 cloves?, crushed, finely shredded), jalapeños (2-3), sometimes paprika("bell peppers") in a pan on high heat.
    1200g of crushed tomatoes, 450ml water, pureed tomato and two beef stock cubes in a pot on low heat.
    Once onions and others are caramelised, add them to the pot.
    Then dump 1kg of ground beef into the pot and brown it while dousing it in some more pureed tomatoes.
    Once it is browned up, dump it into the pot and reduce for an hour or two with finely ground pepper.

I sometimes make it less mild too.
    Cooking with an induction heat stove is fun..

Deleted
    Im trying not to eat any sugar/carbs so no pasta for me but i made big batch of pasta sauce last week and ate it with salad.

I used minced meat lactose free cream and Greek yogurt and chicken broth as base and alot of veggies to make it more nutritiuos.

Cant remember all but i had shreded carrots shopped celery leaf parsley paprika 2 kinds of beans and i also tried for the first time diced aubergine and it turned out great.
    just remembered that i had garlic chili onion ginger in it also.
    i also had lemon in it.
    Last edited by mmoc737d4c7b6a; 2016-11-10 at 10:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Balsamic Vinegar. That's plenty to make it awesome.

Deleted
    If you have the time, you should use a good red or white wine and let your sauce (with the meat in it obviously) cook on a gentle bubbling fire for 2 to 2.5 hours. A good deep red sauce with a lot more punch in it.

Apart from that I generally use garlic, mushrooms, canned peeled tomatoes, tomatopaste, carrots and paprika. Combination of beef and pork mince and season as you want. Mostly cook the pasta a bit less then the package says to get it more al dente.

Deleted
    ZUCCHINI and NOODLES... why not both ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can i? Yes

Do I? No. Way to lazy for that.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Depends on my mood. Usually, I take a prepared base with tomatoes and herbs, and add veggies and/or meat when desired. If I have a special recipe, then I stick to it and then the sauce is completely self-made.

I love the tomatoe-shallot-redwine sauce (where shallots are a bit caramellised before adding tomatoes and wine).

Oddly,I like adding carrots to mine.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    There are various sauces that go well with pasta.
    The basics for most of the sauces my family cooks here in Italy is frying an onion and garlic in a pan with a little olive oil 'till they reach a golden color.
    Then you can add tomato passata with a little basil or oregano for the common tomato sauce. Salt and/or pepper as needed.
    If you want a tuna sauce, add a tuna can when onion and garlic are golden, after that you can add tomato passata if you want it, or leave it as it is (some add bread crumbs instead).
    Another sauce I personally enjoy is adding ricotta (an italian soft cheese) after onion and garlic are golden, along maybe some black olives and/or capers.
    Another way is to cut fresh small tomatoes in tiny bits with some basil and just add them over the cooked pasta (it's called sugo primavera, it means spring sauce).

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Rarely have the time to make my own sauces. For spaghetti, if you aren't making your own, I haven't found anything that beats Prego.

10+ Year Old Account
    People talking about time? It takes as long to throw a tin of tomatoes, some puree, garlic, onion, basil in the pot and cook as it does the jar containing those things at 3 times the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    I make my own and just recently it occured to me that I should be buying a single zuccini and chop that mofo up into my sauce?

Anyone else have a vegetable ingredient that makes their sauce awesome?
    I haven't but I am actually doing this sometime this weekend because I want something healthy.

7+ Year Old Account
    I grow and can my own tomatoes. Store bought sauce is no match. I usually roast some zucchini and yellow squash to mix in. Sometimes bell pepper. Sometimes roasted cherry or Roma tomato. Most of the time I will also put in ground lamb (had two lambs processed into leg, shank and burger recently)