Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Please don't let Survival die Blizz...

I switched from warrior to survival hunter to be a survival hunter, and have the aspect of putting away the spear and grabbing the bow when needed.
    I thoroughly LOVE survival, but i do think it needs some love and extra fine tuning. ALthough it feels like Blizz has just put it off and letting their "experiment" die which I really hope is not the case.

I do think old survival should come back as a fourth spec, and keep the melee survival as Huntsmaster or some sort, but it is a playstyle that I love and want to keep playing...just wish people didn't /lol or /hate at the spec

Doesn't seem like they are letting it die for me, but it's hard for it to compete against MM and BM. Survival really has to be at the top 3-5 of the DPS charts in ST damage, with how the rotation develops in a raid encounter, so that you can have a "real" reason to pick it, other than liking it, but then being disappointed because you did 20% less DPS than that other melee that presses 4 buttons with no burst buildup whatsoever.

Is this rly that bad?
    Have 840 ilvl SV hunter doing 210k-240k dps single target fights (+/- 3min) and I think its awesome for this ilvl (14 traits/no legendary - no flask/pot - 10h played at 110 - alt).

Is it scaling badly after that or what?;p

It's been dead since BRF in WoD. Making it melee just turned it into a gimmick spec. It fills no niche, has no utility. It might as well not even exist. Being melee makes it even less desirable.

I'd rather this not be the case, but this is how it is atm.

It's already dead and I doubt there is much Blizzard can do to save it.

it was dead on arrival

Why would anyone switch to melee if they're playing a hunter, doesn't make sense to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's quite sad that the other two specs are the epitome of boring. Survival was a nice fun spec to run around in. It also feels like a stronger pet spec than BM.

I hope it dies in a horrible grease fire.
    It's a spec a tiny portion of the community might have found interesting and asked for, but FAR MORE long time hunters never wanted it, and would gladly trade it in for the original ranged elemental/nature/trap damage version.
    Overall, hunters have been over-pruned and feel clunky. BM is brain-dead easy, MM lost virtually all of it's mobility, SV (eww).

I find it very telling that Ion Hazzikostas said, "Elemental Shaman concerns are on the radar. Single target can use a bump, increased Lava Burst damage..." and yet even Elemental Shaman's do more single target dps than ANY hunter spec: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/statistics/10#boss=1841

I hope they don't waste time trying to "fix" SV, and instead work on making Hunters the enjoyable RANGED DPS spec they've been up until Legion.
    /end rant
    "Anyone who thinks controlling people is a science is dead wrong: It's an art."
    Jim Profit - the greatest tv villain you've (probably) never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vvulf View Post
    I hope it dies in a horrible grease fire.
    Agree and I hope those ashes from the grease fire get flushed into the sewers and never seen again.

Yeah I hope they don't let it die, it is the only hunter spec I'm enjoying right now.
    X

1. Scratch Survival being a melee specc;
    2. Bring back the different flavors between the three hunter speccs;
    2.5 Feel free to add a 4th specc as Melee for the few that might be interested in, creating new skills and theme for this specc, without gutting the rest of the class.
    3. Profit.

CY@ Survival. Get the fuck out.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

The only useful purpose SV has today is to make it easier to spot those ppl with extra chromosomes that u never want in your groups.

Deleted
    Just make it do insane DPS and people will play it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gladiator stance all over again. The community is shitting on it hardcore, and as such, it's doomed to eventually disappear.

At this point all they could do to win over the whiners is to make it do crazy high damage, but that will never happen, as it'd be even harder to fill ranged slots with all the FOTM hunters rerolling melee.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    1. Scratch Survival being a melee specc;
    2. Bring back the different flavors between the three hunter speccs;
    2.5 Feel free to add a 4th specc as Melee for the few that might be interested in, creating new skills and theme for this specc, without gutting the rest of the class.
    3. Profit.
    I would love to bring back ranged Survival back, but I think people like me, who like melee survival too, like how it is with some tweaks. So I think making it have completely different theme and abilities would be a silly hassle. Bring back quick hit, dot focused, very mobile with some trap use Ranged Survival, and melee survival will be heavy trap/grenade aoe focus while managing mongoose fury. Don't know a great name change Trapper?
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Drekker17 View Post
    I would love to bring back ranged Survival back, but I think people like me, who like melee survival too, like how it is with some tweaks. So I think making it have completely different theme and abilities would be a silly hassle. Bring back quick hit, dot focused, very mobile with some trap use Ranged Survival, and melee survival will be heavy trap/grenade aoe focus while managing mongoose fury. Don't know a great name change Trapper?
    Oh, completely; It's enjoyable and I wouldn't want it completely removed now that it was introduced. I just didn't like how some skills\talents\whatnots got pulled from the other speccs (looking mainly at the traps!) to try to give the 'new' specc some extra flavor and incentive to be played.

I think that the base kit and 'class-fantasy' for Survival-Melee specc are pretty well themed and put - these, of course, would benefit from some tweaks to both boost it's overall enjoyment regarding play-style and general performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    It's been dead since BRF in WoD. Making it melee just turned it into a gimmick spec. It fills no niche, has no utility. It might as well not even exist. Being melee makes it even less desirable.

I'd rather this not be the case, but this is how it is atm.
    What? Honestly...same game bro!?

legion survival, was not thought out very well by blizz, imo a much better way would have been for blizz to make survival a tanking spec, and have it revolve around splitting damage with your pets and stuff like that.

there's way too many melee dps specs already.