7 Y/O Custom PC is Dying | Looking for Upgrade Help

Hi guys,

So long story short, my PC that I built myself in 2009 is pretty much on it's last breathe I think. Some USB ports don't work, it blue-screen occasionally, display adapter fails and recovers a few times an hour, and it generally feels "bogged down" despite having freshly reformatted it plenty of times. With that being said, I'm hoping someone could give me advice on a prebuilt Cyberpower PC that BestBuy has on sale currently, more details below:

Current Build:

RAM:
    1 x OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1333C9LV12GK
    PW Supply: 1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    CPU: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Desktop Processor BX80613I7970
    HD: Western Digital WD Black 1TB HD, 6400 rrpm I think.
    MOBO: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Total in '09: $2289.92 (holy shit)

What I'm looking at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypowe...at212600050008

What are your guys' opinions? The GPU is generations better, RAM is stronger, has an SSD in addition to my comparable 1TB HD I upgraded too about a year ago, PW supply is sufficient, MOBO looks good (doesn't seem to support Nvidia SLI but does AMD CrossFire), and the processor seems better(?)

I'm not the best technical guy, I had a lot of advice on my previous build, so I'm curious to know what you guys think about this transition. It's just crazy to me that 7 years ago my PC cost that much, but now I can get something even more powerful for half the price? Holy shit.

What are your thoughts?

**Note: The only thing my PC needs to do is play WoW on ultra settings while in a raid environment, handle casual video editing/game streaming, etc.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by CoryARamirez; 2016-11-11 at 11:59 PM.

Decent but with the usual prebuilt issues (no specifics mentioned on a few parts, likely lower quality on them; not the best performance per dollar for specific workloads)

You could probably fix some of those issues that you described without too much trouble - using an SSD for example as a HDD like that will always be slow. Testing a few GPU drivers and maybe adjusting a setting could fix the driver soft crashing while the bluescreens could be diagnosed down to an individual issue
    Last edited by Svisalith; 2016-11-12 at 01:03 AM.

Much better deal here:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883272192

Either system is way overkill for what WoW needs, but a 1070 lets this PC stay relevant for a longer period of time. Obviously building your own is preferred, but if you gotta buy a prebuilt i doubt you can find much better for the money than the system above.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryARamirez View Post
    Hi guys,

So long story short, my PC that I built myself in 2009 is pretty much on it's last breathe I think. Some USB ports don't work, it blue-screen occasionally, display adapter fails and recovers a few times an hour, and it generally feels "bogged down" despite having freshly reformatted it plenty of times. With that being said, I'm hoping someone could give me advice on a prebuilt Cyberpower PC that BestBuy has on sale currently, more details below:

Current Build:

RAM:
    1 x OCZ Reaper Edition 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3RPR1333C9LV12GK
    PW Supply: 1 x CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 TI
    Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
    CPU: Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Desktop Processor BX80613I7970
    HD: Western Digital WD Black 1TB HD, 6400 rrpm I think.
    MOBO: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-KR LGA 1366 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Total in '09: $2289.92 (holy shit)

What I'm looking at: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypowe...at212600050008

What are your guys' opinions? The GPU is generations better, RAM is stronger, has an SSD in addition to my comparable 1TB HD I upgraded too about a year ago, PW supply is sufficient, MOBO looks good (doesn't seem to support Nvidia SLI but does AMD CrossFire), and the processor seems better(?)

I'm not the best technical guy, I had a lot of advice on my previous build, so I'm curious to know what you guys think about this transition. It's just crazy to me that 7 years ago my PC cost that much, but now I can get something even more powerful for half the price? Holy shit.

What are your thoughts?

**Note: The only thing my PC needs to do is play WoW on ultra settings while in a raid environment, handle casual video editing/game streaming, etc.

Thanks everyone!
    You can probably tweak a few things here and there if you are planning on buying something to last you another 7 years , things like better VGA 1070 or 1080 depending on price, a good quality motherboard ( like some of the newer ASUS boards , not gonna state them all but there are several others), better speed on your RAMs for better overclock performance etc, since a lot of the complete packages you buy usually hide the spec differences between low- average and high performing parts, like stating 16 GBs of RAM but not indicating the MHz speed at which they operate can be somewhat tricky, though as a rule of thumb the lower the price the lesser quality can be expected for at least some if not most parts.

Now the real question is does that matter to you? if you simply want to run wow on max graphics then the PC you linked above should be more than enough, but the real question you gotta ask yourself is, do you want to invest into a long term plan or not? if not then go right ahead