10+ Year Old Account

How long can you use Windows without activating it?

I am building a new PC. I still have my retail copy of Windows 8 and I already talked to Microsoft, they said I can still use it and even upgrade to Windows 10 on a whole new PC with it, but I needed to activate it over the phone and it would deactivate on my current PC.

I have never used Windows without pretty much instantly activating it, so I was just curious if anyone could tell me how long you can use Windows without activating it?

Just wanted to run my new PC for a week or two to make sure everything works and doesn't break before deactivating my old PC... So if something dies and I have to RMA it over several weeks I am not left without a PC.

Thanks

My HTPC has windows 10 still not activated, after a while you get a logo on bottom right nagging you to upgrade but otherwise everything else is as normal. I probably am just gonna leave it, really doesnt bother me.

To answer your question, you can use unactivated windows forever.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Forrver unless you get fed up with microsoft activate now watermark? Also any chance you getting strange cmd popup for second on nin activated win10?
    World of Warcraft wiki
    http://wowwiki.com
    World of Warcraft database
    http://thottbot.comhttp://wowhead.comhttp://wow.allakhazam.com

15+ Year Old Account
    Back in the day, Windows XP locked after one month without activation. But since Windows 7 you just get a black desktop background and the watermark. I think you also got some restrictions in windows update, but it's been a long time since i had to deal with that.
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    Back in the day, Windows XP locked after one month without activation. But since Windows 7 you just get a black desktop background and the watermark. I think you also got some restrictions in windows update, but it's been a long time since i had to deal with that.
    Cool thanks, thanks for all the replies

I've had Windows 8.1 for years without activate it and neither get a black desktop background nor the watermark. Ofc I didn't use any activation software either. So I think you are safe. You cant change the theme (colors, wallpaper, etc.) though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you install Windows without the code anyway?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    Can you install Windows without the code anyway?
    Yes you can install Windows and then activate it later
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Yes you can install Windows and then activate it later
    Or just never activate it.