Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I hope I'm not the only one here that finds the amazing satire in these types of threads.

Fake news reports about fake information and Liberal college kids pick it up and run with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    There's nothing in my post that suggests secret police in anyway. Do continue hyperventilating about nonexistent fascism though.
    Quietly and discreetly profiling individuals of a certaim religious background would suggest secret police. You might not think that but you arent the one being subjected to the profiling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitus View Post
    considering their god is the same as the christian and jewish god, you might piss off a good deal of the religious people in the world. All 3 of them are what they call abrahamic religions. Meaning they all spawned from basically the same story, just that somewhere down the line someone fucked up so they had to write some bullshit fairy tale to cover it.
    goddamit autocorrect
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Funny how the people who support this are likely the same people who reject the idea of a national gun registry. Shouldn't they be all for such an institutions which aims to sort out the bad gun owners from the good and heal the reputation of the gun community?

People don't like these sorts of registries, especially when they're only executed against certain people for reasons they can't control. It can be the first step to things like internment camps and mass-deportation. My girlfriend is from Iran, is not a muslim, but would have to register under this proposal (as she did when she entered the country under George W. Bush). She's just a neuroscientist getting her PhD, probably moving on to her post-doc next year. She's pretty much the opposite of dangerous.
    It just goes to show how the US conservatives/republicans are more virulently authoritarian than ever; they have to be, their ideology doesn't have sympathy from the majority of the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

I'll have the same arguments than some had for the Snowden shit and surveillance.

If they have nothing to hide they're fine. Don't break the law and everything will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    goddamit autocorrect
    ? /10chararacters

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    It just goes to show how the US conservatives/republicans are more virulently authoritarian than ever; they have to be, their ideology doesn't have sympathy from the majority of the population.
    Funny. I'm more impressed with people who like the terrorist watch list, the no fly list and the gun registry are against another list.

What's wrong with keeping lists of people who come from dangerous countries? Don't we already do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Masoner View Post
    I hope I'm not the only one here that finds the amazing satire in these types of threads.

Fake news reports about fake information and Liberal college kids pick it up and run with it.
    Trump supporters are the ones that like the fake news from Facebook. That is how they get the news. Memes and bullshit websites that lie on average almost half the time they make a story. And if you are calling Reuters fake, then that speaks volumes about where you get your news. Probably Breitbart and Infowars.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Funny. I'm more impressed with people who like the terrorist watch list, the no fly list and the gun registry are against another list.

What's wrong with keeping lists of people who come from dangerous countries? Don't we already do that?
    The reason why you think these are equivalent shows how far off the deep end you are. What's wrong with the existing protocol we have now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post

Putting them on a list, just because they are Muslim is biased. If they have been doing Terroristy things, they deserve to be on a terror watch list. Same with the no-fly list, if there is reason for them to be on the list like they are being watched for being a suspected terrorist, then they shouldn't be flying. The Muslim refugees and immigrants we get here, are vetted for 18-24 months before they are allowed here. There is no other reason to keep an eye on them other than they are Muslim. That is the very definition of xenophobic discrimination.

And no, we don't keep list of people from dangerous countries. http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...yrian-refugees

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    ? /10chararacters
    I was referencing this part of your post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    just that somewhere down the line someone fucked up
    When I said

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    goddamit autocorrect

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what happens if they come from middle eastern countries and claim they're not Muslim. Would they be thrown into the registry anyways? I mean their skin is brown and they're coming from the ME... can't be too careful now

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hif View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN13B05C

So it seems now we are entering the days of a fascist regime. Registering people just based on their faith. Welcome to the land of the free.
    Can they have a registry for christians as well, then?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Does nobody else notice that it says "registry for immigrants from Muslim countries" and not "Muslims"? Obviously their concern is not with Muslims but people from countries that could contain a significant number of people that are Muslim extremists, AKA terrorists.

IMO, people need to get over their PC bullshit and realize the actual purpose of this. I think it's a real problem when people are so concerned about being perceived as "politically incorrect" that they can't even discuss the possibility of keeping track of people from countries which could potentially present a terrorist threat.

This is not about Muslims, this is about preventing terrorism. Terrorists often come from these Muslim countries where Islamic extremism exists.

What would people say if the government kept track of people from Westboro Baptist Church? Do you think Christians would give a flying fuck? No because they know that people who associate themselves with Westboro Baptist Church are a bunch of ass holes.

I'd like to hear what an American Muslim thinks of this. Do they really feel like this threatens their religious freedom?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Docturphil View Post
    Does nobody else notice that it says "registry for immigrants from Muslim countries" and not "Muslims"? Obviously their concern is not with Muslims but people from countries that could contain a significant number of people that are Muslim extremists, AKA terrorists.

IMO, people need to get over their PC bullshit and realize the actual purpose of this. I think it's a real problem when people are so concerned about being perceived as "politically incorrect" that they can't even discuss the possibility of keeping track of people from countries which could potentially present a terrorist threat.

This is not about Muslims, this is about preventing terrorism. Terrorists often come from these Muslim countries where Islamic extremism exists.

What would people say if the government kept track of people from Westboro Baptist Church? Do you think Christians would give a flying fuck? No because they know that people who associate themselves with Westboro Baptist Church are a bunch of ass holes.

I'd like to hear what an American Muslim thinks of this. Do they really feel like this threatens their religious freedom?
    How do you plan to gauge whether or not someone is a Muslim.

15+ Year Old Account

Even if you choose a country like Syria, or Afghanistan, the percentage of violent, militant Islamists that are under the radar in terms of their own national criminal database, that have the means and the patience to get through the existing protocols, it would be a vanishingly small number, comparable to the concerning trolling of in person voter fraud.

10+ Year Old Account

Most Christians No True Scotsman the WBC "They aren't REAL Christians", so they wouldn't care.

Most people in the US lump all the different flavors of Muslim together into one clot for convenient labeling. Most of these same people won't lump all the different cults together into One Large Christianity. "We listen to the man in the big hat.", "Working harder and being good gets you into heaven.", or even "BILLY MAYS HERE! you got One gospel, you got two gospels, we're giving you the THIRD GOSPEL ABSOLUTELY FREE! Just send check or money order to Salt Lake City, Utah."

The Jews sorta in the same boat, there are many tribes of Jews, but lumped together.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    How do you plan to gauge whether or not someone is a Muslim.
    You don't. You gauge whether or not someone is from a Muslim country. Just as you wouldn't gauge whether or not someone is a Christian from Westboro Baptist Church. You would just gauge that they're from Westboro Baptist Church.

It has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with where they're coming from. They're coming from countries that have a higher risk of sending terrorist immigrants. Countries where we believe ISIS or other terrorist organizations may have influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't. You gauge whether or not someone is from a Muslim country. Just as you wouldn't gauge whether or not someone is a Christian from Westboro Baptist Church. You would just gauge that they're from Westboro Baptist Church.

It has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with where they're coming from. They're coming from countries that have a higher risk of sending terrorist immigrants. Countries where we believe ISIS or other terrorist organizations may have influence.
    I'm fairly sure that ISIS is intelligent enough to send their terrorists via non-Muslim countries.

But hey, as long as it makes the poor widdle rural voters sleep better at night, fuck sane policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm fairly sure that ISIS is intelligent enough to send their terrorists via non-Muslim countries.

But hey, as long as it makes the poor widdle rural voters sleep better at night, fuck sane policy.
    Maybe they are smart enough, maybe they aren't. Maybe this would increase national security, maybe it wouldn't. That's not my point anyways.

My point is that there are no violations of religious freedoms here. They're talking about specific countries, not specific religions.