Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    All I hear is one angry man yelling at me. I don't care that Trump won but for the moment I am glad he did.
    I'm not yelling, I'm laughing at yet another American celebrating his ignorance and thinking being ignorant is a virtue. It's not. But... feel free to ignore that, too. You live in a free country after all. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dinth View Post
    The people that the paper quotes are generally neonazi and Xenophobic types that would be pissed off either way.

He didn't say NYT and BBC, he said the people they are quoting.
    Thank you, you are restoring my faith in Americans... it's such a roller coaster ride with you guys sometimes.

Alas, I fear he's not interested in it. He just wants to bash Merkel, because it seems to be the hip thing to do atm, now that Hillary is not a viable punching ball for internet forums anymore.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Deleted
    It's worth noting that the 18 y.o. mentioned in the OP (the one inspired by Breivik) has a muslim background.
    And the people who believe the third reich never ended are actually people with mental health issues. Austrian Police caught and arrested one of those a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    First you tell me some meaningless statistics that do not represent daily life at all but some extremist blogshitsphere, then you tell me not to trust surveys and polls? Are you for real? I know the concern people feel, but whenever I speak with someone, whoever I speak with, they say in general they agree. And the ones that do not agree, tell me they're going to vote for AfD.

But go ahead and tell me how everyone I speak with is just a minority. And how you, a random poster on the internet, represent some superior source all of a sudden.
    You know that when you make a very limited number of people who you know socially, that tend to frequent the same circles, for example having the same employer or attending the same university, the basis of your assumption you are in what is by its definition a bubble?
    I mean perhaps thats not you. Perhaps you have the rare access to a representative portion of the german population. One that does speak their mind freely and uninhibited. It would be a rare thing though, thats usually why we need opinion polls and polling institutes to evaluate certain more politically sensitive topics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    This is no good. Chancellor Merkel and her government need to work on a really strong, severe punishment system to deal with these criminals.
    Haven't you heard? Sever punishment is frowned upon in Europe as it is barbaric. It's all about rehabilitation over there.

Also love the "We are trying to investigate these cells, if they exist." Pretty premature if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    You know that when you make a very limited number of people who you know socially, that tend to frequent the same circles, for example having the same employer or attending the same university, the basis of your assumption you are in what is by its definition a bubble?
    I mean perhaps thats not you. Perhaps you have the rare access to a representative portion of the german population. One that does speak their mind freely and uninhibited. It would be a rare thing though, thats usually why we need opinion polls and polling institutes to evaluate certain more politically sensitive topics.
    So, when I tell you that the polls generally agree that the majority of the population is quite happy with the current state of affairs, you accuse me of just looking at statistics and when I tell you from personal experience, you tell me the sample size is too small and I should look at statistics...

What is it, dude? Or... should I just look at statistics that specifically tailor to accusing muslims of being terrorists and rapists? Okay. I get it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Haven't you heard? Sever punishment is frowned upon in Europe as it is barbaric. It's all about rehabilitation over there.

Also love the "We are trying to investigate these cells, if they exist." Pretty premature if you ask me.
    See, unlike the US our news is filled with the police taking out cells and IS collaborators. But hey, pretend that doesn't happen. It's not like you seem to care much about facts.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/03/wo...l-germany.html

BERLIN — A year after Chancellor Angela Merkel threw open the doors to hundreds of thousands of migrants, that fateful move is haunting her politically, opening her to a strong electoral challenge from the far right this weekend and complicating efforts to forge a united response to Britain’s decision to leave the European Union.

Her shit policies is what's opening the doors to far right extremist, kind of like what Obama did here.
    Ah yes, the good old "They MADE us become far right extremists! It's the left's fault we're becoming violent!"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    Ah yes, the good old "They MADE us become far right extremists! It's the left's fault we're becoming violent!"
    A drastic solution to a -very- drastic problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, unlike the US our news is filled with the police taking out cells and IS collaborators. But hey, pretend that doesn't happen. It's not like you seem to care much about facts.
    Yeah, it's not like we in the U.S. haven't been hearing for over a decade and a half about how we're blowing up the terrorist the Middle East.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Yeah, it's not like we in the U.S. haven't been hearing for over a decade and a half about how we're blowing up the terrorist the Middle East.
    Yeah. Good job not accomplishing jack shit while doing so. Instead, we get to deal with the shit you leave behind on one of your rampages, too! Thanks for letting us join in on that. Really, from the bottom of my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    There is no general approval. there is a 57 to 80% opposition to merkels refugee crisis policy, with increasing trend towards the negative. reading taz doesnt count as a paper that represents the german people.

generally and with the US election in mind, i would not trust surveys and polls that inquire about political positions that are that controversial and where being on the side that is percieved as "wrong" can get you into real trouble, because there are extremists on both sides out there that will make it their mission to destroy everything youve build and lived for. if you (the general you, not the personal one) think the "fear and frustration" you feel in this political climate is only felt on your side of the isle, you are likely part of the problem.
    But Hillary won the popular election and forecasters were not wrong either. It's was just people misunderstanding how probabilities work.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    But Hillary won the popular election and forecasters were not wrong either. It's was just people misunderstanding how probabilities work.
    The popular vote is meaningless as you well know, why bring it up? Professionals, even regular adults had to know that swing states would decide the election, because this has happend many times before.

Lets face it: Forecasts were as wrong as they could be. At least most of them, excluding some more saner minds that didnt fall prey to the mass delusion that was happening right then and there and that the majority of them still havent gotten over.

If the popular vote mattered Trump wouldnt have campaigned the way he had, meaning to win the EC, he would have campaigned to win the popular vote and he would have won either way.

- - - Updated - - -

So, when I tell you that the polls generally agree that the majority of the population is quite happy with the current state of affairs, you accuse me of just looking at statistics and when I tell you from personal experience, you tell me the sample size is too small and I should look at statistics...
    I am telling you that, no, excluding some rather unreliable newspapers that are very left leaning, there is a huge portion of the population that is very much not ok with merkels decisions in the refugee crisis. I am saying that depending on what poll you look at it is between half the population to 80%. These differences are what I was refering to, because it depends on a lot of factors, i.e. what exactly the questions in the poll were, how long ago it was taken and when and where and how many people were polled.

If you want to have a laugh read the official reports. All the reasons to dislike the current trend is right there, because the verdict is crushing.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2016-11-18 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Wow are you ISIS supporter ??? You are one of these "violent muslims have feelings too!" guys,right?
    I oppose all terror, unlike you and so many others on this thread who find the slaughter of innocents just and fair

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    I oppose all terror, unlike you and so many others on this thread who find the slaughter of innocents just and fair
    no,you are saying that Germans and ISIS guys are same. You are insane.

Deleted
    no,you are saying that Germans and ISIS guys are same. You are insane.
    Terrorism is terrorism, no matter if you're a german neo-nazi or a radical islamist.

Terrorism is terrorism, no matter if you're a german neo-nazi or a radical islamist.
    you said they are same and that ISIS is only defending their home. Defending their home by doing terror attacks in Europe apparently.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Oh no can't say dat, dats raaaaaaacist
    So is putting potential terrorists ahead of your own people.

Deleted
    you said they are same and that ISIS is only defending their home. Defending their home by doing terror attacks in Europe apparently.
    No, but I'm starting to see an issue with arguing with someone who can't grasp concepts of abstraction and the hypothetical. What I'm saying is that these neo-nazis are voluntarily brainwashed by propaganda that tells them that the muslims are out to destroy them. The people who join IS are being subjected to similar propaganda about how the west is invading the middle east, taking their resources etc. so they feel that the west is out to destroy them.

Looks like Trump found new allies.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, but I'm starting to see an issue with arguing with someone who can't grasp concepts of abstraction and the hypothetical. What I'm saying is that these neo-nazis are voluntarily brainwashed by propaganda that tells them that the muslims are out to destroy them. The people who join IS are being subjected to similar propaganda about how the west is invading the middle east, taking their resources etc. so they feel that the west is out to destroy them.
    ISIS are not just attacking the Westerners in the Middle East or Europe, they are attacking Middle Easterners in the Middle East as well and many in ISIS are not even from the Middle East.

One group is ostensibly fighting to defend their homeland, the other is trying to take over a land that is often not theirs and expelling natives from it.

Their goals and actions are very different, so it is a false equivalency.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    ISIS are not just attacking the Westerners in the Middle East or Europe, they are attacking Middle Easterners in the Middle East as well and many in ISIS are not even from the Middle East.

One group is ostensibly fighting to defend their homeland, the other is trying to take over a land that is often not theirs and expelling natives from it.

Their goals and actions are very different, so it is a false equivalency.
    You don't get to decide what they perceive as being their rightful territory, and this is kinda the whole point; do you think they perceive themselves as evil and unjust?