10+ Year Old Account

Smile looking for an upgrade

soo i want to upgrade my pc but hardwarestuff allways gets me cofused

but i'm preeetty sure the biggest bottleneck (oxymoron? ) is my graphics card..

AMD Radeon HD 5450 GPU

also there's some other stuff in my 'puter:

a GIGABYE EP35-DS3P Motherboard

an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor

8GBytes DDR2 RAM

and a 550W Power Supply
    with a
    6 pin PCI Express power cable
    and a
    6+2 pin PCI Express power cable

most of the time i run games on my

BenQ GL941 (1440*900) TFT Monitor

i also have an EIZO L557 TFT hooked up (1280*768) which i use alongside gaming for internetz and stuffz. occasionaly i'll deactivate it (GPU only supports 2 screens at a time) to play games or watch movies on my huge ass PhillipsTV (max.resolution 1920*1080; but windows recommends 1280*768).

so with that information given could you suggest me a better graphics card please?

my budget would be sumpin' like 50€ to 80€ plus i may be willing to take the risk and buy a used one..

oh and it should be somewhat silent, i really don't miss the days when my pc made more noise than a frickin' helicopter next to my ear all day long

also the power consumption shouldn't be thaat ridiculous if possible.

thx in advance! yours truly, 029.
    Last edited by Zero2ninE; 2017-12-14 at 06:26 AM.

Deleted
    Your biggest bottleneck is everything. The CPU is ancient and pure 2 cores don't even start some programs today. Honestly I would replace everything with a new computer. Aldi süd has a reasonable 599€ PC right now that'S going to run worlds better than your machine.

All you components are old. You could overclock you CPU to get some extra performance, Q6600/Q6700 were very good overclockers.
    On that budget, I can only recommend you to wait for black friday, maybe you'll be able to snatch a GTX 1050.
    In case you decide to make a new system, don't buy prebuilt.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-11-20 at 09:51 AM.

Nothing wrong with buying used, a gtx 770 is faster than a 1050 and would be a good example of a used GPU model to shoot for. Does EVGA sell cards where you live? If so id stick to them because warranties transfer owner to owner. I bought a 760 on craigslist for really really cheap, glad i went EVGA cause it crapped out within a month (the kid knew it was dying thats why i got it so cheap).

Also while a core 2 quad is pretty old, you can still play modern games on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    All you components are old. On that budget, I can only recommend you to wait for black friday, maybe you'll be able to snatch a GTX 1050.
    In case you decide to make a new system, don't buy prebuilt.
    Don't buy prebuilt isn't always the best especially if he is inexperienced and on a low budget. Aldi has 599€ computer with an i5, 8 gigs of DDR4, a RX 460 and an SSD. That's hard to beat at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Elchtoeter View Post
    Don't buy prebuilt isn't always the best especially if he is inexperienced and on a low budget. Aldi has 599€ computer with an i5, 8 gigs of DDR4, a RX 460 and an SSD. That's hard to beat at that price.
    I'm pretty sure I can beat that for that price with some online shop scouting.
    Last edited by Sorshen; 2016-11-20 at 10:18 AM.

Deleted
    Well then do it in Germany. The i5 alone is 200€, another 100€ for the GPU, ram+mobo+HDD for 200€. That leaves you 100€ for an SSD, PSU, Windows license etc. And you don't get 3 years warranty.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's still some mileage left in the Q6700 tank (especially if you overclock) providing you pair it with something like a used GTX 700 series.

GTA V looks hilariously bad though but I assume it's to maintain the high frame rate whereas the video below uses a 750 ti and Q6700 with very high for ~30 -40fps.

The problem with going used is that 99% of sellers on a site such as ebay grossly over-value their hardware which, barring rare circumstances, creates this echo chamber of premium, used, aging hardware. You have to watch it like a hawk in order to take down any unicorns who just want to sell to get it out of their hands.

Maybe Germany has a craigslist or kijijij-equivalent though. Those are where you typically find much better deals.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2016-11-22 at 03:55 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elchtoeter View Post
    Yes, don't buy a pre-built is the best. Just because you are not buying a pre-built does not mean you have to build yourself. We can help put together a list of components here very easily and you can take those components to any local computer store who can assemble it for your for a fee, usually around or under $100. It typically STILL ends up cheaper than a pre-built AND you have the bonus of knowing that you have a balanced system with quality components. No shortcuts or parts that don't make sense together because they need to get rid of certain parts.

Like others said, don't buy pre-built and yeah it's okay to go for a used card as long as you can check fans work properly. A GTX 1050ti is a decent card but has a price tag of about $150 right now

10+ Year Old Account
    *ahem* so yeah, thanks for all the advice.. i bought me a prebuild

story went like this
    on sylvester morning i came home from nightshift and my gf told me that my pc isn't working anymore after pushing the pwr button a few times i came to the same conclusion: dead as a mofo which is of course absolutly not acceptable and needed to be addressed ASAP!
    though to the fact that stores on that day would close at noon, quick and crude actions had to be taken! in a hurry i browsed through some mediastores and then selected a prebuild system that seemed somewhat decent to me and my limited knowledge of that matter. well one thing i knew: i was going to pay a hefty extra!
    to actually purchase it, my only option were monthly installments (which i never did before. but i t turns out to be ok, i hardly notice those rates).
    i then went to the store and my desired machine was in stock. yay! sort of.. i didn't wanted an OS but i ended up buying it with win10 included, which costed me 100€(!!) more but i totally didn't grasp at that point >.< it was later that day when i thought wait what, why is there a copy of windows10? i then realized my mistake but i wasn't even mad, just happy about my 'entry level gaming pc', gazing about teh awesome graphics and shit..
    fastforward>> a couple of months later it was my gf who needed a new pc (for spider solitaire!!1).
    so i took a closer look at that 'broken' PC, maybe i could fix that for her?!

which i could..

..like in a minute..

turns out a RAM was loose

buuut anyways..the reason why i necroed this old thread of mine is that i like to upgrade my newish pc. for that purpose i can spend around ~100€ +/- 20, preferably less.

specs are as follows:

8GB DDR3 RAM
    GeForce 1050ti

a GA-78LMT mobo
    with an AMD FX4300 CPU
    plus a 550W PSU
    including a 120GB SSD

from my understanding the CPU would be a good canditate for upgrading..
    right now there is a fx8230 for 65€ and a fx8350 for 75€ at my local ebay thingy for sale. should i go for one of those? or maybe something different?

please just don't tell me that my
    biggest bottleneck is everything
    again

thx in advance!

edit: oops i thought i could change the topic title at the first post. now i see why necroing is bad ;_; i'm sawwwy
    Last edited by Zero2ninE; 2017-12-14 at 06:29 AM.

There is no upgrade path for that CPU. All you would be doing is adding more cores of the same type, which isnt going to help any.

10+ Year Old Account
    so you're saying the gain would be insignificant; super bad price/performance ratio?
    and now i'm basicly screwed with the socket on my mobo?! also i guess then my budget is just too low for a new board and cpu.. or am i overlooking something?
    what if i get some decent cooling and overclock the 4300 and 1050ti? shouldn't be that expensive.. would that result in a more suitable bang for the buck?

thx

Deleted
    What doesn't the computer do which you feel it should?

People are gonna struggle to know how to answer you dude. You need a new cpu/mobo/ram to make a worthwhile difference, the same as this point last year. The gfx card is fine for the resolutions you want though (if they are unchanged).

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i just realized info about what im trying too achieve is somewhat thin..
    i'm still happy with 720p. most of the time i play fallout 4 and sykrim. on ultra settings the fps drops pretty frequently below 30, which annoys me somewhat. also the games are heavily modded so i thought a better cpu could me out with that. in the near future i'd like to switch to skyrim spcial edition. maybe play some pubg, gta v, witcher 3 and doom.. when i check those games on systemrequirementslab.com it's the cpu that doesn't meet the recommended specs..
    Last edited by Zero2ninE; 2017-12-14 at 11:34 AM.

Deleted
    Mods can handle system resource allocation wierdly, make sure you aren't exceeding each memory buffer size (gpu and system) despite your low display resolution.

You'd be looking at 200-250€ on a secondhand haswell i5/7 with mobo, or 350€ on a intel 8th gen i3/ryzen with mobo and 8gb ddr4. Check your case is suitable for the motherboard (atx, micro-atx etc) and I'd probably confirm the specs/quality of the power supply.

If playing those games is the ultimate priority for the rig, I'd probably favour intel over ryzen. It's worth realising that pubg just sucks though, it can tank most machines cpu's at times, particularly early on in matches. With Doom, and using vulkan, I'd imagine you'll be framecapped on your current rig

Quote Originally Posted by Zero2ninE View Post
    specs are as follows:

8GB DDR3 RAM
    GeForce 1050ti

a GA-78LMT mobo
    with an AMD FX4300 CPU
    plus a 550W PSU
    including a 120GB SSD

from my understanding the CPU would be a good canditate for upgrading..
    right now there is a fx8230 for 65€ and a fx8350 for 75€ at my local ebay thingy for sale. should i go for one of those? or maybe something different?

please just don't tell me that my

again

thx in advance!

edit: oops i thought i could change the topic title at the first post. now i see why necroing is bad ;_; i'm sawwwy

and this is exactly why we warned against buying a prebuilt. You got a lopsided system. You got a decent GPU but your CPU is old and there is no upgrade path. To upgrade that CPU you need a new CPU, a new Motherboard and new RAM. You overspent and got something that can't be upgraded. So sorry you did not listen in the first place. You are either going to have to deal with shitty performance or pony up some additional budget at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero2ninE View Post
    so you're saying the gain would be insignificant; super bad price/performance ratio?
    and now i'm basicly screwed with the socket on my mobo?! also i guess then my budget is just too low for a new board and cpu.. or am i overlooking something?
    what if i get some decent cooling and overclock the 4300 and 1050ti? shouldn't be that expensive.. would that result in a more suitable bang for the buck?

thx
    Where do you live that an actual store is selling 3-5 year old parts as "new"? No amount of overclocking in the world is going to help on that CPU, you may be able to squeeze 1-2 fps more out but I cant see anything beyond. The store that sold you that machine ripped you off plain and simple. As others have said you are going to need to start fresh and actually take advice from some of the posters here as you clearly have a limited knowledge of computer parts. The last thing any of us want to see is another post from you where you purchases another computer with old parts and get hosed again.

Knowing where you are from helps a ton mainly because many people here post US links and the prices we see will not match what you see.