Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelrine View Post
    You break down your own point without realizing.

You talk about vanilla like it was random, but it wasn't, at all. Loot was set in stone, so were the stats. There was no silly things like warforged/titanforged, socketed or other nonsense.
    The closest we had to the current legendary system was the random epics which were good for leveling but there they ended and nowdays are basically just transmog items.

The game became a million times more random with all kind of nonsense and the legendaries are the pinacle of this stupidity.
    If they were just cosmetics it would have been fine, but legendaries can majorly impact both the way you play and your actual numbers. They aren't just "cool stuff".
    How did I break my own point? You have made a completely erroneous assertion in saying that loot in Vanilla was not random... at all? This is clearly just factually incorrect.

Some points for consideration:

UBRS random drops on class set items. I never completed my blue set, so "OMG I CANT COMPETE WITH OTHER LEGOLAS HUNTERS?!"
    Random real world epic drops. Very rare. Very random. Worth a fortune on AH because they were actually useful for some people.
    Raid drops - 2/3 items per 40 man raid boss. Very rare and much more random than anything now, by a mile.

The balance needs to be right.

Generally I think legendary items could be handled better than complete and utter RNG, but this system is better than any other than Blizzard have tried. The ring/cloak grinds were utterly shambolic. At present, the game is unpredictable, which is fun. I very much like the idea if I do a mythic+ I might have a omgwtf moment. In fact, I love it. The alternative is back to the WOD system, and I got bored out of my brains very quickly.

As I said earlier, my preference would be for epic and legendary items to be insanely rare, but legendary more rare. This would increase the potential for more omgwtf moments. As I've said already, if everyone is epic, no one is epic. Same with legendary items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valex View Post
    I quite like the Legendary system, its an added incentive to keep running stuff like Mythic+ dungeons. Especially after the disaster that was the MoP Legendary Quest chain and the drama of who to give the Legendary to first that came along with others. Its nice to have a more solo hunt for the Legendary.

People complaining about luck not giving them one don't realise that a Legendary won't fix their problems either way, and probably don't run as much content as they think they do or want people to believe.

Also why are people just stating the that the system is not good for the system without explaining why, as if the system not being "good" for the system is some kind of divine truth. The Legendary system has certainly kept the Legendary hunt interesting between my friend circle, its "Who will get the next legendary? oh shit he had two before I had my first hahah" and not "Hey have you collected your weekly tokens?" "Yeah" "okay nvm i was gonna do some lfr for them /wrists"
    If they want to do ridiculous power increasing legendaries these days the Cata(Staff, Daggers) + MoP(Cloak) + WoD(Ring) system is the way to go.

Deleted
    Many of the arguments against the RNG system could be equally applied to ALL loot that drops. After all, I am stuck with a shit shadow relic on my glaives at present because I just can't get the one I want from Nythendra. It is a real issue for me but I accept it as some time I will get it, and enjoy getting it.

What everyone here is basically asking for, is to have one of the core "make you keep playing" mechanics to be stopped, so that hardcore players can just brute force to complete the game. Screw that. That's why people stop playing, and that's not good for any of us.

I agree with OP WoW needs to stay exciting and less predictable. Its bad enough that there is an expectation to know bosses in raids and see what they look like before ever stepping foot in the room. Where is the mystery and fun left?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evaida View Post
    Many of the arguments against the RNG system could be equally applied to ALL loot that drops. After all, I am stuck with a shit shadow relic on my glaives at present because I just can't get the one I want from Nythendra. It is a real issue for me but I accept it as some time I will get it, and enjoy getting it.

What everyone here is basically asking for, is to have one of the core "make you keep playing" mechanics to be stopped, so that hardcore players can just brute force to complete the game. Screw that. That's why people stop playing, and that's not good for any of us.
    The wrong relic =/= the wrong legendary.

And at least with the relic once you've killed that week on Mythic you're done. Legendaries are an endless farm system that burn people out.

Just slap a ban on these items in mythic raiding. Sounds like a good solution if these idiots screaming ''raiders are the problem'' are serious.

I wouldn't mind the RNG aspect if it was just RNG. But the Legion Legendary system is RNG on top of RNG. A layer of RNG for the drop itself then another layer of RNG for the Legendary you get. Now, if there were a way to simply be able to take one layer of the RNG out... the system isn't nearly as flawed. Even if it required you to trade two less-than-stellar Legendaries so you can get the one you want, at least it incentivizes the "make you keep playing" mechanic without causing people whom Legendaries may mean the difference between a having a raid spot to lose sleep over bad luck.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkeywing View Post
    Just slap a ban on these items in mythic raiding. Sounds like a good solution if these idiots screaming ''raiders are the problem'' are serious.
    I would equally as satisfied if the effects were disabled in Mythic raiding.

If they were going to do this legendary system, all legendaries should have just been a stat stick with a utility bonus. Some legendaries giving 10%+ dps gains while being completely random is just bullshit.

At least let me target the legendary I want if this is the system they choose.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    Slathering more and more RNG layers onto an already very RNG game is not good for it. You might get a thrill out of it, but it is not good for the game. Something you clearly do not concern yourself with.
    On the contrary I want Blizzard to do what is absolutely best for the game at the expense of all else, including my own preferences.

I do get the sense that Legion is doing very VERY well, based anecdotally on my battlegroup/friend-list/guild activity - all more than double what was occurring aftrer 1 month of WOD. Make no mistake, this system is part of that. It's keeping people playing.

One alternative would be to have a hearthstone like system where you can randomly get stuff (legendary items) but also craft stuff. This might work, but I am just loathe for everything to become too systematic, too predictable, too boring. This game is the best game ever made but in order to keep it exciting, as an MMO, it needs to be a living breathing world. It needs to be alive, it needs to have random things happen to everyone. This is good for the world.

Deleted
    It's a terrible system because the disparity between the legedaries os so huge. For most classes you have 2 terrible , 1 bad, 3 medicore, 1 good and 1 godly spec changing legendary. So when you do get a legendary 3/4 times you're just going to be disappointed with what you get.

When I got my first legendary after a month of farming the crap out of heroics and mythics and world quest etc. It finally dropped from a LFR boss (exciting) and it was Sephuz Secret. I wasn't happy or ecstatic. I groaned as a put my face in my hands.

As a Blood Dk the best legendary for me are the Waist and Bracers. I have three and don't have either. All the legendarys I got a utility ones. While doing Mythic bosses I die every so often and when I die I don't think if I did this better I would have survived or I messed up at some point earlier in the fight and didn't have a CD for later. No all my deaths, that weren't a result of no external healing, I can pinpoint to not having the waist legendary. It's silly. Yeah in previous expansions I might've died if I didn't have the right trinket but at least then I knew exactly where it dropped I could kill that specific boss at least twice a week(Normal and heroic) for a chance at the trinket. Maybe even three times if it was a boss that was killed in mythic already. Now I have to hope that I get lucky and get another legendary then I have to hope beyond hope that when it does drop it was drop the one I need and not the 4 other useless ones.

Wow I dont have the energy to hate other people that much, OP. Jaysus

It's very misleading to simplify the argument to that statement. I'm not going to get my BIS legendary and then quit. I've been playing the game for 12 years now. And your example, while being slightly applicable, isn't the best. At most, that relic is going to what, boost your damage by 1%? The difference between 1% and 5-10% in a raiding environment is huge. Method and other guilds brute force and raid many nights/hours per week. Most of your average guilds that are steadily progressing through Heroic and Mythic raids aren't even going to clear all of the content. Every little bit helps, and friendly competition between DPS is pretty much the norm. When the only difference maker between the competition is: I got this legendary and you got a useless one, it takes some of the joy out of raiding or doing any serious content.

It would be kind of entertaining to see them put in an option that allows you to optionally remove the randomness from the equation of getting a legendary item. It would be interesting to see how many people who are vehemently against it would use the system anyway. (My guess is most, if not all. Even though they will likely protest under the argument that you're ruining my game by forcing me to use this optional system because other people are using it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    I would equally as satisfied if the effects were disabled in Mythic raiding.
    It's possible but feels like a band aid solution more than an actual solution. It kind of takes the allure of Legendaries out of the picture too, if you know that getting a good one means the most you can hope for are decent Heroic parses. (I realize "parses" aren't the only reason people play the game but it has to be factored into the equation.) Some of the "less good" Legendaries also have procs which are incidentally pretty good for raiding. (Encouraging people to use their interrupt, a decent shield that refreshes itself every 30 seconds.)

It just... doesn't really work from a thematic standpoint, either. "Great adventurer, your tremendous, arduous journey has bestowed upon you many spoils of war, and today we gift you with one of the rarest, most powerful items in the game. But just don't bother doing endgame content with it because we can't balance that shit, alright?"

I love the legendary system. I do kind of wish they'd put in the ability to target specific legendaries in the game sooner rather than later, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Another pseudo-intellectual broken fallacy to scapegoat asskissing the post-merger devs.
    This probably made sense in your head before you typed it, but I think it's a good candidate for maddest attempt at a sentence in the world today. I didn't bother reading the rest as this sentence scrambled my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeywing View Post
    You don't see the bigger picture...I bet you pugs will require them in due time.

10+ Year Old Account
    The more RNG the game has, the shittier it is.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

The legendary system is terrible. Tying big skill modifiers to low random chance drops is mindnumbingly stupid.

People get random upgrades to items, there's your RNG "oh yay" factor. I got an 885 relic from a world quest the other day, that was pretty cool.
    "You are better than I am," Inigo admitted.
    "So it seems. But if that is true, then why are you smiling?"
    "Because," Inigo answered, "I know something you don't know."
    "And what is that?" asked the man in black.
    "I'm not left-handed."