Page 30 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The majority of the US nation happens to live in Commiefornia, Texas, and New York.
    And as such they get the most electoral college votes

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And as such they get the most electoral college votes
    Except that each individual vote in California is worth less than each individual vote in most other states, which is beyond fucked up. California should have many more electoral votes (I think at least a dozen more, last I checked) if they kept things uniform and awarded delegates purely based off of population size.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    If you still disagree, I'm interested in the reasoning behind your stance, if you don't mind sharing.
    Because we are a collection of states, not a single entity. It was made this way so that Wyoming still has a say in what happens to it. As a citizen, you belong to a state foremost. But why should a California vote have more say than a Wyoming vote, because of the mere coincidence of having a bigger population? A popular vote on laws and elections would basically ensure that Wyomings votes don't really matter at all.

Thats the argument for EC voting. I'm not saying I 100% agree with it, but either system essentially cancels SOMEONE votes/voice out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Except that Bernie lost the Democratic Primary popular vote, so even without superdelegates he wouldn't have won anyways.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVa4G32M7Bc

Voting debacle in Nevada. Voting by clap-o-meter... lulz @ real democracy.

http://observer.com/2016/07/wikileak...ned-democracy/

Numerous first hand accounts from California, Arizona, New York, and other states where certain (conveniently Bernie supported) districts did not have voting ballots. Or despite proper voter registration, "unforeseeable errors or mishaps" where Bernie supporters were conveniently not registered in time or on record as being registered.

You don't get it both ways sweetheart. You don't get to cherry pick and decide when and where the system works and where it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVa4G32M7Bc

Voting debacle in Nevada. Voting by clap-o-meter... lulz @ real democracy.

http://observer.com/2016/07/wikileak...ned-democracy/
    Not saying that the Democratic primary system isn't a mess, but even as a Bernie supporter I'm hard pressed to believe that he'd have made up the vote difference even without any of the silliness. I still think he'd have been a better candidate than Hillary since he at least managed to get people excited about something, and hopefully with him and Warren more involved with Democratic leadership they can push for a lot of much needed reforms in the DNC.

Numerous first hand accounts from California, Arizona, New York, and other states where certain (conveniently Bernie supported) districts did not have voting ballots. Or despite proper voter registration, "unforeseeable errors or mishaps" where Bernie supporters were conveniently not registered in time or on record as being registered.

Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    You don't get it both ways sweetheart. You don't get to cherry pick and decide when and where the system works and where it doesn't.
    I'm not cheery picking anything, "sweetheart".

10+ Year Old Account
    If people can say Obama was not their president for 8 years because he is a "Kenyan, Muslim, communist spy", then its fine for people to not like Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    If people can say Obama was not their president for 8 years because he is a "Kenyan, Muslim, communist spy", then its fine for people to not like Trump.
    Maybe both groups are just idiots?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    It's my opinion, not a fact, that Wyoming shouldn't have the same power as a big state. You're entitled to yours as well, but that doesn't make it right/wrong. I disagree that blacks shouldn't have the same say as whites, but you're allowed to your opinion.

I think states should have rights, but it should be proportional to the population they hold.

State's are like groups of people. The black population has a much smaller say than the white population, but that's because the black pop. is much smaller. I don't think we should artificially increase the voting power of each individual black person so the group, as a whole, is equal to whites.

But that's kind of what the Senate does. It inflates the voting power of each individual Wyomingite so the group (state), as a whole, is equal to California.

If you still disagree, I'm interested in the reasoning behind your stance, if you don't mind sharing.
    No there is a right or wrong answer. We look back to the constitution for the right answer.

Black people and white people. Regardless of race, sexual orientation, or gender are afforded the SAME rights, with one not outweighing the other. There is a right answer.

Likewise, our Constitution, which has set up our standard of voting was never intended to be a popular vote. Thus we can refer to the constitution and determine those that feel it should be are... according to the constitution, wrong.

But if you want to throw out the constitution (which is essentially what most of you are saying) so that the popular vote can matter, you can also throw out the bill of rights (part of the constitution) which gave you the right to vote to begin, effectively making your vote... STILL NOT MATTER!

http://www.fairvote.org/right_to_vot...vote_amendment

Interesting read for those that think every vote should matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Maybe both groups have idiots*

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. There is just something more *does not compute* about the whole Kenyan Muslim thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Oh, we're very aware the orange rage machine won. The purpose of pointing out the popular vote count is to counter any notion that The Donald is "America's choice", when the majority of American voters did not, in fact, choose him.

Hillary was America's choice, by democratic vote. Get over that.
    The majority of americans didnt vote, so your point is invalid.

Both groups can do it. They're just little babies for doing so.

Nope, I have no interest in a reality TV show buffoon who promotes and pedals in bigotry and idiocy and is bringing what is shaping up to be one of the most anti-science administrations ever. He is not my president and does not represent a single positive value that I associate with America, only the terrible parts of our history that most of us have been trying to move past and never repeat.

Because, you know, having his supporters bring up Japanese Internment camps to justify/support his apparent plan for a Muslim registry is totes cool and not fucking terrifying.

While most of the "OBUMUER NOT MUH PRESDENT" folks were focused on the lies that Obama is either Kenyan or Muslim (both untrue, and the latter shouldn't matter even if it was true), or complete manufactured bullshit like the "death panels" that the ACA was supposedly going to bring in to kill grandma and grandpa.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Both groups can do it. They're just little babies for doing so.
    The Muslim Kenyan thing still does not compute to me.

Except that each individual vote in California is worth less than each individual vote in most other states, which is beyond fucked up. California should have many more electoral votes (I think at least a dozen more, last I checked) if they kept things uniform and awarded delegates purely based off of population size.
    Except that wouldnt be a fair representation of california either, so what is your point.

Nope, I have no interest in a reality TV show buffoon who promotes and pedals in bigotry and idiocy and is bringing what is shaping up to be one of the most anti-science administrations ever. He is not my president and does not represent a single positive value that I associate with America, only the terrible parts of our history that most of us have been trying to move past and never repeat.

Because, you know, having his supporters bring up Japanese Internment camps to justify/support his apparent plan for a Muslim registry is totes cool and not fucking terrifying.

While most of the "OBUMUER NOT MUH PRESDENT" folks were focused on the lies that Obama is either Kenyan or Muslim (both untrue, and the latter shouldn't matter even if it was true), or complete manufactured bullshit like the "death panels" that the ACA was supposedly going to bring in to kill grandma and grandpa.
    Doesn't really matter. In the end "Not my president" is a futile, foot stomping, temper tantrum. I didn't vote for Trump, but he won.

Deleted
    Watching SJW generation to lose their shit has been priceless. Rioting, looting and violence, just another day in liberal city. When was the last time you saw someone from other side doing something like what left is doing no? I'm sure there is some, but nothing compared to daily dose of left love we can read from news and see from videos.

The Muslim Kenyan thing still does not compute to me.
    It was indeed stupid. So is pretending gays, Mexicans and Muslims will be round up and put in camps.

Even though California is weighted down to be worth less in the electoral college based on population. it is still worth 55 electoral college votes or about 1/5 of the total electoral votes needed to win an election. Wyoming is worth 3 or about 1/90 of the EC votes needed. Moving to a popular vote would make California worth even more and small states like Wyoming matter even less as they should only be worth 1 EC vote or 1/270 of the EC votes needed to win. Essentially the votes will be equal, but no one will care about the small states at all anymore. And the largest 4 or 5 states will be the main driving force of the country. Less states matter, less diversity.

Deleted
    Doesn't really matter. In the end "Not my president" is a futile, foot stomping, temper tantrum. I didn't vote for Trump, but he won.
    Millenials are pretty much tantrum babies, I wish I was kidding. Adult side won, for a change. Let the adults run the country for a moment, kids ruined it so bad it might take 10-20 years to stabilize it. I mean c'mon, America been bullying with war for so long, and telling people that it's okay, and somehow managed to have it so that media has trust of people too. That shit gotta stop, and this is the first attempt towards it since JFK. So that's about 40 years of brainwashing and overall making life for the worse for everyone. GJ