Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    You sure its not because he has an "R" by his name?
    Yep, don't give a shit what letter is

Quote Originally Posted by Taneras View Post
    I haven't been here long but I doubt you even gave a fraction of the critical eye you've had on Trump on Obama.
    Sure I do, and there's plenty to critique Obama on over the years. But the two aren't remotely equal, and I can't think of a single presidential candidate who has ever told anywhere near as many blatant, boldfaced lies as Trump has.

I mean, shit dude, the guy fucking lied about the NFL sending him a letter on Twitter. As if he didn't think the NFL would instantly come out and say, "No, we've never sent him shit."

Just like he'll lie about climate change and say it's a Chinese hoax, and follow that up with another lie denying that he ever said that. Despite, you know, the tweet where he said that still being live and available to view while he was denying he ever said it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Don't get me wrong, The climate change thing was really, really stupid.

But how is he lying and saying he never said X is different from literally every other politician (well except Bernie Sanders i guess) lying and saying they never said X even though there is a ton of evidence that they did?
    I've never seen a politician (which, mind you, Trumps appeal is supposedly that he's not a politician...or something, I don't know, it's stupid) lie so frequently and so often in my life. He rapid fired enough lies in a week of his campaign to bury the combined lies of candidates from both parties during a normal campaign.

Also, him lying about shit he literally said days, or even hours ago. Also him literally taking multiple positions on an issue during even a single interview (abortion, specifically).

It's different in its quantity, its frequency, and it's severity. A politician trying to distance themselves from a now unpopular vote (like voting for the Iraq war) is a bit different than Donald Trump making shit up without provocation like, "TOM BRADY VOTED FOR ME AND TOLD ME HE DID!"

Like, seriously, who the fuck makes lies like that up and isn't a pathological liar?

This is what drives me and many others nuts. What you're doing here, intentional or not, is trying to normalize his behavior. His behavior is anything but normal, it's the very definition of abnormal and should never be treated as normal. Because it also can't be treated as normal if you bother to engage with facts and reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Would it be correct to say that normally politicians only lie to cover their ass, but Trump can't help but lie on a pathological level? (vis-à-vis not friends with puttin, etc)
    I'd say that that's a disappointing and more realistic assessment, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos854 View Post
    I think the gripe has always been that they don't want regulations period because they believe that the miracle of the free market will fix everything. Unfortunately the only thing deregulation has ever gotten us are complete and utter economic disasters.
    Well that's what the GOP establishment thinks, but they know that the base doesn't really give a shit about that, so they try to frame it in a way that they can relate to. I mean, I'm sure we've all at some point been handed a giant manual of rules and regulations that you have no intention of reading or going out of your way to follow, and so the idea of burdensome authority is a kind of selling point.