10+ Year Old Account

Computer Build Query; which out of these?

Right so, I've been thinking about finally upgrading from my Phenom II x4 810 and Radeon HD 4870 to more.. adequate hardware and I have basically figured out the basics of what I want. I'm not needing anything other than these 4 components as I feel safe with the rest of my hardware and casings etc. so I don't need any kind of preach to get more. I am on a fairly low budget. Should also mention everything I ask during this is in regards to the region of Australia. I used an Australian website I trust along with Newegg. Also I'll be copy pasting the exact names of each of these components for ease for me.

* = Locked decision.
    Off the bat; I realise this build will be bottlenecked, I'm not troubled by this so an answer to just my issue would be great.

*CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 Dual Core LGA 1151 3.7GHz CPU Processor
    Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 LGA 1151 Micro-ATX Motherboard
    RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY HX426C15FBK2/8 8GB Kit (4Gx2) DDR4 2666 Desktop RAM
    *GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 3GB Video Card
    Current Build Price: $615 AU

Now here's the thing. The (?)'s there I have up in the air as I have multiple websites/stores in which I can change around some components, possibly better ones or worse.
    I can currently get the same build but replacing the;
    RAM:Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1 x 8G) DDR4 2133 Desktop Memory DIMM (288-Pin) RAM HX421C14FB2/8
    and changes the price to $585AU, and is a bundle with the CPU & Motherboard.

Thing about this is, I've heard that because of the build I am looking at, the higher the power of RAM, the better performance I will get. So is $30 difference worth it?

---

Moving on to issue #2
    I am able to get a combo of
    Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    & the i3 6100. No RAM included, so adding my 2666 HyperX to the other content this build will add up to $627AU

Is the freedom to overclock my CPU worth this the extra as well? It isn't that much more than the standard 2666 build, it just has the extra ability there.

---

I'm sure I can actually get the RAM cheaper at another store, in fact I know that I can; they're just out of stock for now. But I'm in no hurry. Sorry for no links, I don't see much point since it's less of a "help me build this PC" and more of a "should I bother splitting these orders and spending the little extra. As I mentioned, this is a very budget build. I'm only able to afford the GTX right now anyway, I just want to be ready.

Again, apologies for the sloppiness, I really only know the basics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplifire_
    Trade chat on my server is acting out the end of Revenge of the Sith but with Arthas. "From my point of view the paladins are evil!"

Ive seen videos of people saying ram can be a large FPS increase, and others where they say it dont make a lick of difference. Personally im in the latter camp, i really doubt faster ram does much for gaming but who knows. As for motherboard, unless you plan on changing the CPU in the future to something that is overclockable there is not a lot of reason to shoot for the z170 chipset unless you can get it for a similar price.

in most cases, you would need a z170 mobo to use overclocked ram, the h110 you chose only supports 2133 Mhz ram

10+ Year Old Account
    #1 There have been tests that having only 1 stick of memory is usually just fine. I would stick with the one stick, cause you can always buy another down the road. This is also an i3, not an i5 or i7. Memory isn't going to be that important for this CPU.

#2 Overclocking is always worth it, cause the performance boost is usually worth it for the minimal cost, and you may upgrade the CPU down the road. I'm not a big fan of the i3's but if you're on a budget, they're fine for now.

#3 I would rethink the 3GB 1060. Either get a 6GB 1060, or go for the RX 480 4GB. The 3GB 1060 performs nearly like a 970, but with 1GB less VRAM. That's not going to play out well.

Eh no, a 1060 3gb is closer to a 980 than a 970.....and is also 50 dollars cheaper than the 6gb 1060. Price/performance the 1060 3gb blows the 1060 6gb out of the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Eh no, a 1060 3gb is closer to a 980 than a 970.....and is also 50 dollars cheaper than the 6gb 1060. Price/performance the 1060 3gb blows the 1060 6gb out of the water.
    That maybe true, until you find a game that pushes past the 3GB of VRAM. Then the graphics card tanks in performance. The problem with the 3GB 1060 is that nearly no reviewer is pushing the graphics card to the point where it will go beyond the 3GB limit. Which is rather disturbing. The issue with the 3GB 1060 is that it performs like a 970/980 and has 1GB less VRAM. 512MB if you consider the 970's flaw. And what was the best selling graphics card? The 970's and 980's. So as time goes on, developers are going to push that 4GB limit harder and harder, to the point where anything less than 4GB is going to be a problem. It isn't very much a problem now because most games don't reach that 4GB limit, and can comfortably sit around 2GB.

I will personally refund the Op's money if he ever has a problem with vram at 1080p with 3gb's. I am still on a 2gb 760, never have i ran into anything close to what you could call performance degradation due to my games reaching out to system memory and my 760 came out in 2013. Do not write off the 1060 3gb because one website found one problem with one game at insane settings, its a great value 1080p card it actually disgusts me that people use this video as some sort of "proof" that 3gb's is not enough for 1080p gaming. If the card had 4gb's of memory it would have been a 220- 230 dollar GPU, nvidia made the decision to put 3gb's on there to hit the 200 dollar price point, and in my opinion it is THE best mid range card on the market for 1080 gaming.

Let me explain why these types of videos infuriate me. They are simply making a video for clickbait (thats fine its youtube), but they dont actually care about what harm they are causing, let me explain what happens because of them. Almost daily i see someone bring up this ridiculous video in one of these threads where someone is on a budget and are looking for suggestions on parts to put together a 1080p gaming rig. Since said video exists the 1060 3gb model gets passed over and no one takes into consideration that the card is only about 5% slower than the 6gb model, but also that it costs FIFTY DOLLARS LESS (that's 20% more money, price/performance on the 6gb model is not good). In a budget build that is HUGE, that is a 240gb solid state drive to add to their rigs yet daily i see people recommend the 6gb model because of that ONE FREAKING VIDEO. You are robbing people of a 240gb solid state drive because of a video from some random dude showing one problem in one random games at settings you probably shouldnt be using on a MID RANGE GRAPHICS CARD
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-24 at 05:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except for the same price, you have the RX 480 4GB unless in Australia the price for AMD hardware is high. And as shown in the video, when you do go past the 3GB limit on the 1060, the RX 480 is faster. It's faster overall, except for Blizzard games. And again, you're right where very few games will push the 1060 3GB that far, but that's for current generation of games. Who knows what newer games will demand?

You don't need the YouTube video to tell you, cause it just makes sense. Most video cards on the market are at least 4GB, and have been for a while. The 970/980, R9 290/390, 1060, RX 480/470. Some GTX 960's were 4GB, as well as the R9 380's. I'm not saying that the 3GB 1060 is going to be a huge massive issue. Not at all, and for practical purposes it would work fine for 1080p gaming. But given the choices, I would get a RX 480 4GB or cough up the extra money for the 6GB 1060. Considering how old @Brannax PC is, he might keep this PC for 5 years as well.

You really aren't getting it man, not at all. I do not have the energy to reiterate my post above, just please stop for a second and think before suggesting people spend 50 dollars needlessly, when it can go to far better use in their budget system's.

I will say the 480 4gb is an option, but given this is basically a blizzard forum i forget they even exist tbh. If a person plays blizzard games for any appreciable amount of time AMD cards should not even be suggested unless they can be found at a serious discount compared to the nvidia price competitive counterpart, as the lead nvidia has in those games is truly astronomical.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2016-11-24 at 06:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Except for the same price, you have the RX 480 4GB unless in Australia the price for AMD hardware is high.
    The price difference between the RX 480 and the 1060 3gb is about $40AU if that's any perspective for thought?
    I have just enough to get my 1060 now, I can obviously wait a few weeks but is it that big an issue to bother?

Since I have gone a majority of my gaming life so far with 20 frames as an average if I'm lucky, anything above 60 in the not-so-normal games I play would be a godsend.
    I can barely play Overwatch with 50% render lowest settings right now as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    in most cases, you would need a z170 mobo to use overclocked ram, the h110 you chose only supports 2133 Mhz ram
    Yeh I managed to find myself a build that uses the z170 and I still get my 2666 ram for $613.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amplifire_
    Trade chat on my server is acting out the end of Revenge of the Sith but with Arthas. "From my point of view the paladins are evil!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brannax View Post
    The price difference between the RX 480 and the 1060 3gb is about $40AU if that's any perspective for thought?
    I have just enough to get my 1060 now, I can obviously wait a few weeks but is it that big an issue to bother?
    Yea, then get the 1060. $40AU is a lot more. I forget how overpriced everything is in Australia.