Deleted

Affliction Questions

Hey guys,

so i started to play Demo Warlock this expac and i think im pretty good at it. Now i wanted to try something new and i thought why not Affliction.

My first question is: How much Mastery do i need minimum ? Im at 96% Mastery without Food. Is it enough to start playing affli or do i need more?

My second question is: What the hell is going on with Affli dmg on Warcraftlogs. Is it some kind of bug or what i dont really understand, because most people i've talked to said that affli is not really good right now, but the logs show otherwise.

Thank you for answering my questions.

~Amazul

From what I understand you want to aim for about 20% haste and as much mastery as you can muster, but as always try out simulations to see what stats are most beneficial for your current gear. The definition of "minimum" really depends what you're trying to achieve.

Warcraft logs will have very skewed data - the majority of people that still play affliction in high end raid content have mastered it and acquired good gear, or just switch to affliction on fights that favor multidotting and aoe padding, and so in conjunction with the small sample size it artificially inflates how well affliction is doing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by main5tream View Post
    From what I understand you want to aim for about 20% haste and as much mastery as you can muster, but as always try out simulations to see what stats are most beneficial for your current gear. The definition of "minimum" really depends what you're trying to achieve.

Warcraft logs will have very skewed data - the majority of people that still play affliction in high end raid content have mastered it and acquired good gear, or just switch to affliction on fights that favor multidotting and aoe padding, and so in conjunction with the small sample size it artificially inflates how well affliction is doing.
    Thank you for your answer. Im sorry but English isnt my main language, so what does padding mean?

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazul View Post
    Im sorry but English isnt my main language, so what does padding mean?
    Padding usually refers to pointless extra damage. Like if there are adds that don't need to be killed, but you AoE them anyway (either intentionally, or indirectly.) It makes your DPS look higher in the logs but it doesn't actually mean anything.

Affliction is a real spec now. Mastery is your best stat, but you can't neglect crit or haste. They're important too.

The damage disparity from the top and average logs is due to a) the leggos, b) being really really really good at getting UA's back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction is more fun to play currently, IMO.

As stated above, stack mastery and mix gear with crit/haste alongside the mastery for good balance.

Then begin the dot spam.
    And you could have it all,
    my Empire of Dirt.
    I will let you down,
    I will make you Hurt.

Deleted
    I would definitely recommend affliction to bgs, just doting everything.

Don't go for critical,it should only be chosen if it's a part of a higher ilvl item you equipped over a mastery/haste you already have. try getting your hands on "Chrono shard" trinket and the set bonus from Suramar Dungeons. Both are really priceless. As for padding, the only wasted dmg I can think of is on xavius's tentacles with absolute corruption. And even then, you gain compounding horror and/or some other procs which makes it worth the few GCDs. Affliction is just fine as it is, with the exception of it's non-existant burst and the soul Effigy for the mediocre ST dmg. I have some doubts for the upcoming changes though.

Haste and crit sim pretty equally if you have inherently unstable, and perdition, if you don't then haste sims higher. You want at least 20% haste for good shard regen, unless you have the agony helm, then you can drop a bit. After that fill out with mastery. I try to keep my crit at 15%+, so I can get a near 30% increased crit chance with ua on reap.
    Last edited by muto; 2016-11-25 at 11:42 AM.

Deleted
    Around 15-20% haste, more than 20 is overkill.
    and you should be on 90%+ mastery.