Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I like how often history gets rewritten.

No, not when people on the internet or government try to change recent history. What I mean is ancient history. Like when we make new discoveries of civilizations that predate the last known major civilization.

How far back to you think human civilization goes? Do you think its possible that there could have been civilizations prior to the ice age?

Hundreds of thousands of years of human habitation on Earth which saw waves of technological innovation with multiple resets from natural disasters or man-made destruction.

Yabba Dabba Dooooo.

Hmm...man is only a couple of million years old, and civilization in its broadest sense (for the sake of a nice round number) 10,000 years old. So a reset here or there is possible.
    I suppose the question that demands an answer is whether it matters at all if previous civilizations existed? (I am familiar with is the shitty fact that any evidence that challenges current dogma is typically ridiculed, and the poor doctor presenting such evidence has his/her career trashed. Re: Hueyatlaco where evidence of far...far earlier hominid presence may, just may, be indicated. I prefer to keep an open-mind, unlike the scientific community.)
    Make no mistake here, I find the very idea fascinating, and the potential of learning what really happened to them would likely be a learning experience that could give one a lifetime of wonder I should think. But unless they went to the stars well...I don't know...*babble*

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nim View Post
    Hundreds of thousands of years of human habitation on Earth which saw waves of technological innovation with multiple resets from natural disasters or man-made destruction.

Yabba Dabba Dooooo.
    wtf is your profile pic lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    An "open mind" doesn't mean pretending anything is equally possible just because you think one poorly supported conclusion...
    I gave a link...if you don't like it then that's too bad.
    Having a progressive intellect should never get one stuck on dogmatic bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    wtf is your profile pic lol
    It's a picture that glorifies rape culture by making a joke.

I had to go to my safe space with my crayons. I am literally shaking.

I hope MMO bans that picture from being used so it doesn't traumatize others.

This is important people.

Deleted
    didn't humans live through at least one ice age?

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    didn't humans live through at least one ice age?
    Yes.
    A big one and some smaller ones.
    The last major glaciation event was 30,000 - 20,000 years ago.

I always found it fascination when most of the world population "woke up," it was around the same time-frame. (50,000 years ago) Oh, yes, there some exceptions, but generally it was all the same time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I read the link, which is why I specifically brought up strata. Science is based entirely on inductive reasoning. It's not "dogmatic bullshit" to not through out a huge heap of evidence because one anomaly appears that can be explained by other means.
    Science should never lock up your mind.
    Logic...scientific method...ye..skepticism...these are tools, and never should they replace your way of thinking.

To quote from a classic debate:
    “You are not thinking. You are merely being logical.”
    ---Niels Bohr to Albert Einstein

10+ Year Old Account
    You disappoint me, Genn. I expected a funny conspiracy thread! But it's an interesting topic, so you are forgiven.

In theory, I guess it could totally be possible for an advanced civilization (not necessarily by humans ) to have existed earlier in the earth's livecycle, as long as they recycled all their stuff and only used materials that wouldnt have been preserved. Or they took them with them.

Deleted
    Not just that, history is also often changed because our world view changes.

History is sometimes literally being colored.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Not just that, history is also often changed because our world view changes.

History is sometimes literally being colored.

It sure is.

WE WUZ KANGZ!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    You disappoint me, Genn. I expected a funny conspiracy thread! But it's an interesting topic, so you are forgiven.

In theory, I guess it could totally be possible for an advanced civilization (not necessarily by humans ) to have existed earlier in the earth's livecycle, as long as they recycled all their stuff and only used materials that wouldnt have been preserved. Or they took them with them.
    But how long would any of our things last? What if there was a species a long item ago that managed to at least get farming going. I know plastic can last a while, but eventually everything will deteriorate.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    But how long would any of our things last? What if there was a species a long item ago that managed to at least get farming going. I know plastic can last a while, but eventually everything will deteriorate.
    Then that species never meaningfully changed the surface of earth, which is highly unlikely. Also they never lost stuff in the oceans.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Then that species never meaningfully changed the surface of earth, which is highly unlikely. Also they never lost stuff in the oceans.
    We had not mapped out the oceans very well, and things that go to the bottom may never be seen. Has humanity meaningfully changed the surface of the earth? Look at all the ancient temples eventually found because they were hidden away, especially in Mexico/South America because jungles simply grew back over it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, still, as long as we find nothing of them, we know nothing... if there was such a civilization before humans, we will never know it unless we find something. Problem might be, we also wouldnt know what to look for.

And I dont know how long our stuff would last, but we put quite a lot of it around the globe and its quite sturdy, surely some of it would even survive harsher conditions than today.

Go further with that line of thought.
    A conscious species that didn't need oxygen, or at least not as much as we need, growing their own cities and culture. (The meteor that created much of the Gulf of Mexico could have easily wiped them out...or heck, an earlier event that created a virus that no longer exists)
    Between the various events that created worldwide cataclysmic events (Like Pangaea separating into different continental shelves) there would be little if any evidence to suggest that there were earlier civilizations.

15+ Year Old Account
    We had not mapped out the oceans very well, and things that go to the bottom may never be seen. Has humanity meaningfully changed the surface of the earth? Look at all the ancient temples eventually found because they were hidden away, especially in Mexico/South America because jungles simply grew back over it.
    Yep we have, oh boy do we have. Also there is a pretty interesting video flowing around on the internet showing just how many ships and other larger vessels we´ve lost on the ocean floor.
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerilis View Post
    Well, still, as long as we find nothing of them, we know nothing... if there was such a civilization before humans, we will never know it unless we find something. Problem might be, we also wouldnt know what to look for.

And I dont know how long our stuff would last, but we put quite a lot of it around the globe and its quite sturdy, surely some of it would even survive harsher conditions than today.

Kinda hard to say which is why this topic is fascinating because we only recently discovered cities in the oceans that sank a few thousand years ago. Obviously not in a pristine state.
    On top of that, even sunken ships from recent times don't look all that great, eventually they may just got covered up by organisms and be totally unnoticeable. Imagine if they are down there for thousands upon thousands of years.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep we have, oh boy do we have. Also there is a pretty interesting video flowing around on the internet showing just how many ships and other larger vessels we´ve lost on the ocean floor.
    Well aware, some are very recent and dont look to great. Give them a couple thousand years. Ruins for hundreds of years ago are totally reclaimed by nature and we found one just in the last year or so. Never noticed due to all the regrowth.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well aware, some are very recent and dont look to great. Give them a couple thousand years. Ruins for hundreds of years ago are totally reclaimed by nature and we found one just in the last year or so. Never noticed due to all the regrowth.
    Look at the century of your choice, find out what the climate was at that time and see if there´s something left from them unless you think they must´ve lived in the harshest conditions without ever moving to nicer places.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the century of your choice, find out what the climate was at that time and see if there´s something left from them unless you think they must´ve lived in the harshest conditions without ever moving to nicer places.
    But you are only looking back a few centuries. What happens when you go back a few thousand years?