4 year old PC - upgrade?

Hello

I'm considering upgrading my pc, it's a 4-year-old pre-build (I replaced the graphic card):

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 ghz
    Motherboard Asus P8H77-M
    RAM 8 GB ddr3 800 mhz
    Graphics Card ASUS GTX-660 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E x16 3.0
    Power Supply 420 W
    Operating System Windows 10
    Resolution 1920*1080

Basically, the PC is still fine for WoW (though I would like to play it on max settings, currently almost max), but the graphic in newer games like Witcher 3 isn’t satisfying. Next year, I’d like to play Mass Effect 4 with a reasonable graphic setting.

I thought about buying a new graphic card, perhaps ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL O6G. Should that card work with my system or is it to old? Or maybe a somewhat weaker card like a Gigabyte GTX-750 Ti Windforce 2X, 2GB GDDR5?
    Should I upgrade to 16 GB RAM? Do new RAM’s still work with that mainboard? Can I just add 8 GB or do I need to replace the told RAM also?
    In general, does such an upgrade made sense or should I better buy a new system?
    I’m not planning to buy a new CPU or Mainboard, because the rest of the computer won’t last forever. I'd like to spend no more than 400 dollars (I live in Switzerland, everything is somewhat expensive here) on an upgrade. I will probably buy a new computer in 2-3 years, but right now I would prefer not to spend that much money. I live in Switzerland, everything is somewhat expensive here.

Thanks for helping!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say just get a 1060 and call it a day. 8GB of RAM should still be alright until you think it's time to buy/build another computer, and any RAM you buy now won't be reused in your next build anyway since current boards are now using DDR4.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokom View Post
    I would say just get a 1060 and call it a day. 8GB of RAM should still be alright until you think it's time to buy/build another computer, and any RAM you buy now won't be reused in your next build anyway since current boards are now using DDR4.
    I second this. A new CPU would require a new motherboard, and while ram is cheap, I am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade those. Though i do wonder why they run at 800 mhz. Just get a new graphics card.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Best upgrade you can do is to get a SSD disk and a GTX 1060/1070.

That CPU has lots of years left in it, before it's time to upgrade it.
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Thanks for the replies, I will buy a GTX 1060 then.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Though i do wonder why they run at 800 mhz.
    I have no idea about that. I never changed anything about that.

Quote Originally Posted by pansertjald View Post
    Best upgrade you can do is to get a SSD disk and a GTX 1060/1070.

That CPU has lots of years left in it, before it's time to upgrade it.
    Happy to hear that. I do have an 128 GB SSD with windows and WoW on it.

Deleted
    I also wanted an opinion if I should buy some upgrades this monday for my pc.

my specs are:
    i5 2500k
    16gb ddr3 ram
    gtx 980ti
    256gb ssd

my cpu is a bit old and I wasn't lucky with it as it does not overclock too well.

do you guys think I should upgrade cpu/mobo/ram?

Quote Originally Posted by aedras View Post
    I also wanted an opinion if I should buy some upgrades this monday for my pc.

my specs are:
    i5 2500k
    16gb ddr3 ram
    gtx 980ti
    256gb ssd

my cpu is a bit old and I wasn't lucky with it as it does not overclock too well.

do you guys think I should upgrade cpu/mobo/ram?
    Nay, i have a 2500k as well thing is still a beast. I only have mine at 4.2ghz and that puts it at least on par with a skylake i5-6500, which is a current CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    I second this. A new CPU would require a new motherboard, and while ram is cheap, I am not sure if it is worth it to upgrade those. Though i do wonder why they run at 800 mhz. Just get a new graphics card.
    It doesn't. Pretty sure his ram is 1600.

And ya i was gonna say that, its dual data rate ram (DDR) so you need to double what programs report.

@Artecal: Just get better GPU and SSD. Your CPU is more than capable of running modern games.
    @aedras: If that was my pc, I would wait for next CPU generation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauko View Post
    @Artecal: Just get better GPU and SSD. Your CPU is more than capable of running modern games.
    @aedras: If that was my pc, I would wait for next CPU generation.
    Ok thanks.

the cpu runs stable at 4.3 ghz and I wasn't sure if that's enough, although I could push it to 4.5ghz but it will then be really hot currently sits 67c under load at 4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by aedras View Post
    Ok thanks.

the cpu runs stable at 4.3 ghz and I wasn't sure if that's enough, although I could push it to 4.5ghz but it will then be really hot currently sits 67c under load at 4.3.
    I ran cinebench recently with my 4.2ghz 2500k and it was on par or even faster than a i5-6500 which is a current 200 dollar CPU. I am not upgrading until my overclocked 2500k cant match a stock clocked current i5.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    I ran cinebench recently with my 4.2ghz 2500k and it was on par or even faster than a i5-6500 which is a current 200 dollar CPU. I am not upgrading until my overclocked 2500k cant match a stock clocked current i5.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing about my cpu, every year I look up to upgrade my cpu and every year its the same thing, only a few percentage increase.

What I want is something like 50%+ increase in performance. We wont get the 10nm die shrink until 2018 with the icelakes until then its only architectural improvements so looks like I will have my i5 until 2018-2019.. lol