Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Why the left feels it is inhumane to allow employers and employees to negotiate private contracts between themselves is beyond me.
    Mainly because in a market where participation in the workforce is non-optional, there will always be an inherent power imbalance in the negotiating position in favor of the employer. That and 'what the job is worth' has a nasty tendency to graduate to zero dollars an hour unless otherwise prohibited - it is not in a business' short term interests to pay its workers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by maxchum View Post
    Btw he is talking about journeyman rate, before taxes, i guess. If you start as an apprentice, your wage would be 50% lower at starting point.
    Let me guess, fellow oil sander ?
    Not sure if the Oil Sander comment was directed at me or Alar but if it was at me then no I'm an Engineer -- One of the ones that drives trains.

You were correct that his wage would be lower than mine starting out but that's because he would start out as a Conductor/Brakeman and his pay would vary depending on his daily job and his years of service that effects his pay scale. However, if after a year of Conductor service he decides to go to Engineer Class and passes he's immediately bumped up to 100% Conductor Scale and is added to the list of Call-Ups (based on seniority) to become an Engineer where he surrenders his Conductor seniority for Engineer seniority.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Life tip - Work in a unionized position
    No thank you. Why would I want to pay a group to tell me what I can and cannot do that also limits my upward mobility?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alexw View Post
    Because employers have rewritten the rules of the game over the years, so that they have the overwhelmingly stronger hand in negotiating such contracts. It's like playing golf with the rules stating that you must wear a blindfold every time you play while your opponent does not have to, and where he starts 100 yards from the hole.

It's what has led to this -

What led to that is the death of middle class jobs in the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    I'll do ya one better because of how inconsistent some work places can be on a daily basis. Overtime after 8 hours on a given day.

For Companies that have an adverse reaction to overtime it forces them to get their employees out the door in eight hours or less.

For people who want to earn extra money but aren't full time it allows them to make a little more when they want to instead of requiring multiple jobs.
    Or companies respond by off-shoring more of the work to avoid the increased costs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ezgeze View Post
    I never said it could have passed, only that it the way the Obama admin. did it was an attempt to do something which he had no legal authority to do.
    Actually, he does have the authority to do it...

SO many mentions of Trump despite him having nothing to do with this lol.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Whether this change would have been good or not does not matter. The president could not get what he wanted through the lawmaking progress because the elected representatives of the people chose not to raise the minimum wage. So, Obama tried to go around the law making process. A judge said he was not allowed to cheat the system and ignore the will of the elected representatives.

If we are to make a law, then it needs to be done legally. Presidents are not kings and should not be. Do you want Trump to just be able to do whatever he wants without getting consent from the people?
    It's "should have" and "could have." When a native English speaker uses of in place of have, he or she looks ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Or companies respond by off-shoring more of the work to avoid the increased costs.
    If the job can be off-shored it's going to be done anyways. I'd think someone who allegedly gets 50% increases to his salary yearly would know something about that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    Americans in general seem to have this weird idea that they're all destined to become millionaires, and celebrate things that improve the status for millionaires before even making their first 100k.

The American Dream(tm)
    You know, I've often seen this said, but there was always just something missing. The way you put it - perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

If the job can be off-shored it's going to be done anyways. I'd think someone who allegedly gets 50% increases to his salary yearly would know something about that.
    Yeah, it's the same old tag lines and dog whistles. IF YOU INCREASE PAY THEN SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR JOBS, JUST BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE THEM SCRUBS.

Of course like all business-worshipping dog whistles, they lack in taking... pretty much every detail into consideration.

Everyone thinks they're irreplaceable, that their job is unique and that nothing could jeapordize their position... then some program or piece of equipment suddenly can do what Kellhound does and lulz. I just wish I could be there to hear what he'd blame it on.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlarStormbringer View Post
    Can... can you get me into a Union, bruh? I'd like to make $600 a day and only pay $485 a month in insurance and dues.
    With the drastic down turn in coal traffic, the railroads are not hiring many train crew right now (BNSF and UP have no jobs posted for train crew in fact). This is not likely to change short term.

- - - Updated - - -

Not really. My company bases it decisions on how much production work is performed by our suppliers overseas vs in-house on a balance between cost and control. We are actively looking into on-shoring all PCB manufacturing in house for the added control and flexibility even though our costs will go up.

My salary increase is set to be 50% again this year, but next year it will settle down to 3% with a 20% bonus, which will be quite reasonable. Sometimes a single employee actually can demand pay increases to match their importance to the company. You just need skill and luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You know, I've often seen this said, but there was always just something missing. The way you put it - perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, it's the same old tag lines and dog whistles. IF YOU INCREASE PAY THEN SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR JOBS, JUST BE THANKFUL YOU HAVE THEM SCRUBS.

Of course like all business-worshipping dog whistles, they lack in taking... pretty much every detail into consideration.

Everyone thinks they're irreplaceable, that their job is unique and that nothing could jeapordize their position... then some program or piece of equipment suddenly can do what Kellhound does and lulz. I just wish I could be there to hear what he'd blame it on.
    I am sure I will be replaceable by tech at some point (nature of the beast and the logical outcome for pretty much every current job), but for right now I am getting ready to add people to my team to keep up with the work load.

This law affects the food service industry mainly. I myself was looking forward to a hefty raise for all the work I do, and the hours I put in for it.

Quote Originally Posted by EnhshamanLFG View Post
    This law affects the food service industry mainly. I myself was looking forward to a hefty raise for all the work I do, and the hours I put in for it.
    I think a lot of food service and retail management. Low-level managers who are only salaried so they can be expected to work 50-60 hour weeks instead of paid overtime.

Private industry responds to these changes far quicker than government.

Government sets up a 5 foot high bar to jump over, private industry digs a hole 4.5 foot deep to put it in.

Government then re-assesses and says the bar must now be 5.5 feet in order to affect 5 million Americans, and then by the time the law gets passed it affects no one.

The solution is not in government control of specific private wages. It never will be. The politicians will never fix the problem their way; and they know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkles View Post
    How would someone end up getting hurt by being paid for overtime?
    Their employer would stop allowing them to work extra hours to avoid the possibility of a federal audit.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

It is a ruling that will hurt small and medium business and cost jobs in those sectors, but that is nothing to do with why it was blocked; it's another case of pen-and-phone overreach. Presidents don't just get to wish stuff like that into existence, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I never get the mentality of trying to squeeze your employees.
    Your competitors who do have a lower cost structure than you, and can now offer goods and services at a lower price. You go out of business.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

Good. I hope Trump keeps fucking over the people that voted for him. They all deserve each other.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Good. I hope Trump keeps fucking over the people that voted for him. They all deserve each other.
    This didn't have anything to do with Trump, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    This didn't have anything to do with Trump, you know.
    The hell it doesn't. Its the republicans, doing what they do. Last I checked, they put that monster in the white house. If you don't think there's a connection between the republican ideals that champion this sort of thing and the ideals that let Orange Hitler become POTUS, then I'm not sure you're qualified to debate these sorts of things.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

10+ Year Old Account
    May as well call it what it is. A big fuck you to front line lower management people in the service industry. The store manager of the GAP that's going to be working 60-80 hours a week from now to Christmas? Fuck you. The McDonald's manager doing that practically all year? Fuck you too.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    The hell it doesn't.
    It has nothing to do with Trump, since Trump is not yet in public office. You are blaming him for something done by a person he didn't appoint. How can that possibly make sense?

I don't like Trump, but your guilt-by-vague-association crap is reprehensible.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    It has nothing to do with Trump, since Trump is not yet in public office. You are blaming him for something done by a person he didn't appoint. How can that possibly make sense?

I don't like Trump, but your guilt-by-vague-association crap is reprehensible.
    I am blaming an ideology, that he is the walking embodiment of. When he gets in, he will ensure more things like this happen....hence fucking over the people that voted him in. The republicans cheered this. The ideology that made them cheer this is the same ideology that made them nominate & support Trump.