Poll: When was WoW at it's very best?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Favorite Expansion

A poll based on your overall experience. Try to think back to all the things you have liked and disliked about each one you've played:
    • Leveling Experience
    • Lore
    • Dungeons
    • Raids
    • Lockouts
    • Transmog
    • Art & Music
    • Endgame
    • Classes (talents, playstyle, balance)

And yes, I know Vanilla wasn't an expansion, but let's include it for comparison.
    Last edited by Felfaadaern Darkterror; 2016-11-27 at 09:22 AM. Reason: spelling

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably MoP apart from the content drought at the end. Still had ten heroic which is my jam, gearing up and doing stuff on alts was easy, account wide stuff was implemented, and there was an ok amount of stuff to do outside of raiding.

Cata is probably second. The heroic dungeons were difficult and fun at launch. The raids were good at first, I especially loved their being three small raids in the first tier. Had a lot of fun during the Cata launch. Firelands was alright-ish, a bit small for my liking. Gets second though because Dragon Soul was meh AF, there wasn't much to do outside of the raids, and alts were boring since nothing was account wide yet.

I didn't start playing until the end of Wrath, so no experience with most of Wrath and prior.

WoD's raid or die was boring as shit. The garrison was trash. The whole expansion felt like a rush job. I hate 20 man mythic, probably never going to raid hardcore again unless they bring 10 man back. I liked raiding because I could do it with my small group of buddies and couple extra friends. I can't do that anymore (at the highest level). They also did a 180 on alts and made them rather shitty since LFR had garbage gear and LFR was my stepping stone for gearing alts and getting them raid ready, not to mention all the garrison tie ins. Was great if you just wanted to run an army of alts running facebook missions for gold, if you wanted to actually have alts to play though, nah.

Legion is more of the same, though I enjoy it more than WoD. Still down there though because they made alts even more of a shitshow with artifact power/knowledge, but at least they brought LFR tier back so I have that stepping stone for my alts when tier sets come.

Deleted
    I liked them all for different reasons, but WotLK still stands out as my favorite.

I would say they are pretty much WotLK > Legion (so far) > MoP = Cata > TBC (here is where I started) > WoD

And even in WoD I had fun in some aspects.

7+ Year Old Account
    For me Wrath and Legion (so far) stand above the rest hands down.

Leveling Experience. For me, the best has been Legion. All the zones have amazing quest chains in them (some more so than others) with Highmountain possibly being my favorite single zone in all of WoW. Wrath is a close second, but I HATE troll zones and I hated having to level through Zul Drak. The first steps into Wrath though were pure magic (At least on the Howling Fjord side).

Lore for both has been amazing. Legion has had earth shattering revelations and consequences and has really thrust you finally into the role of the badass epic (insert class head honcho here). You finally feel like you are the hero instead of some hanger on watching the real heroes do the hard work. That said, I cannot imagine anything matching the culmination of WotLK. The lore and dungeons and raids of Icecrown are unmatched in epic feel. When you first face down Arthas, my god, your blood just runs cold (pun intended) and it really hits you what all is coming to a head lorewise. Oh, and Wrathgate... arguably the single most awe inspiring, gut-wrenching cutscene in the history of WoW.

Dungeons in Wrath were some of the most imaginative, fun, and just complex enough dungeons in the games history. (With a couple of notable exceptions). The decision to make most of the dungeons in Legion the culmination of attempting to obtain each pillar is an interesting twist, Mythic+ content has done a great job of keeping them relevant, but for me the magic just isn't quite there (except for Karazahn which might be the best single dungeon ever)

Raids... ICC and Ulduar. (Mic Drop)

Art and music has continued to evolve, and mostly for the better. Wrath did such an amazing job of evoking the feel of each zone and dungeon (Except Borean Tundra, which IMHO sucked donkey balls). How many of us still remember the first time we crossed into Grizzly Hills and heard that music start up and saw the gigantic broken tree and just felt transported.

Endgame. ICC was an epic ending to an epic storyline. It funny that raiding started off on one of the weakest starts ever, but ended with arguably the strongest. Legion has done a spectacular job of building in endgame questing and making 110 not feel like the end of questing and leveling, but just another milestone. World quests, Mythic+ content, and Suramar have been absolutely amazeballs.

Classes. Balance has always been an issue. I am divided because one of my specs is in an absolutely great place. (Hot, but not too hot) and the other currently sucks. Mostly though, balance has honestly been better than it has ever been. (Not saying it's great now, just that it's always been worse, and that includes in Wrath)

At the moment, my favorite is still Wrath, but when Legion is over and we have freed Argus... well... ask us again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog View Post
    For me Wrath and Legion (so far) stand above the rest hands down.

Leveling Experience. For me, the best has been Legion. All the zones have amazing quest chains in them (some more so than others) with Highmountain possibly being my favorite single zone in all of WoW. Wrath is a close second, but I HATE troll zones and I hated having to level through Zul Drak. The first steps into Wrath though were pure magic (At least on the Howling Fjord side).

Lore for both has been amazing. Legion has had earth shattering revelations and consequences and has really thrust you finally into the role of the badass epic (insert class head honcho here). You finally feel like you are the hero instead of some hanger on watching the real heroes do the hard work. That said, I cannot imagine anything matching the culmination of WotLK. The lore and dungeons and raids of Icecrown are unmatched in epic feel. When you first face down Arthas, my god, your blood just runs cold (pun intended) and it really hits you what all is coming to a head lorewise. Oh, and Wrathgate... arguably the single most awe inspiring, gut-wrenching cutscene in the history of WoW.

Dungeons in Wrath were some of the most imaginative, fun, and just complex enough dungeons in the games history. (With a couple of notable exceptions). The decision to make most of the dungeons in Legion the culmination of attempting to obtain each pillar is an interesting twist, Mythic+ content has done a great job of keeping them relevant, but for me the magic just isn't quite there (except for Karazahn which might be the best single dungeon ever)

Raids... ICC and Ulduar. (Mic Drop)

Art and music has continued to evolve, and mostly for the better. Wrath did such an amazing job of evoking the feel of each zone and dungeon (Except Borean Tundra, which IMHO sucked donkey balls). How many of us still remember the first time we crossed into Grizzly Hills and heard that music start up and saw the gigantic broken tree and just felt transported.

Endgame. ICC was an epic ending to an epic storyline. It funny that raiding started off on one of the weakest starts ever, but ended with arguably the strongest. Legion has done a spectacular job of building in endgame questing and making 110 not feel like the end of questing and leveling, but just another milestone. World quests, Mythic+ content, and Suramar have been absolutely amazeballs.

Classes. Balance has always been an issue. I am divided because one of my specs is in an absolutely great place. (Hot, but not too hot) and the other currently sucks. Mostly though, balance has honestly been better than it has ever been. (Not saying it's great now, just that it's always been worse, and that includes in Wrath)

At the moment, my favorite is still Wrath, but when Legion is over and we have freed Argus... well... ask us again.
    Nice breakdown. Don't forget Borean Tundra had D.E.H.T.A! And is where we met Thassarian.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    The poll allows for multiple options so I selected BC, WotLK, MoP, and Legion

10+ Year Old Account
    MoP and Legion.

BC, WotLK, and Cata with their common denominator being dungeons. I could still have fun without raiding unlike MoP and WoD. Legion is not done so I will hold my vote on Legion.

My memories on BC story with quests is faint. WotLK was largely nostalgia and seeing the pieces connected. I love the Titian lore of the dwarfs. For Cata I really enjoyed Vashj'ír while hated Hyjal. Still miffed the already in progress raid was dropped from both a waste of resources in a content weak expansion and wanted lore standpoint.

Liked Cataclysm raiding the most (first half at least). Liked the class design in MoP the most. Legion has the best non-raiding content. TBC was my first expansion so everything was new and fun to me back then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel like I'm having more fun with Legion than I have in a long time. More fun than WoD and MoP for sure, Cataclysm ditto. Wrath and TBC I feel like dungeons were harder and therefore more satisfying to complete, you had to rely on a lot of strategy and mechanics to tackle mobs, while the occasionally stun is all that's really vital. Legion is certainly set up to keep me invested longer, though I'm starting now to reach the end of content I am interested in doing. All that's left is the last few levels of the artifact grind and the storyline quests for Suramar, which are once a week things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper Benhir View Post
    Nice breakdown. Don't forget Borean Tundra had D.E.H.T.A! And is where we met Thassarian.
    One of the few good things to come from Borean Tundra. ;-)

MoP on the whole, but if Legion keeps it up it will likely take that spot.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.