Thread: Internet Plan

Internet Plan

Hi guys hopefully this is the right place to post this.

I have some questions about Internet plans and types of Internet.

A bit of background first about my situation which is important to the questions later;
    -Looking at moving out of town in the next few years and the area most likely won't have a cable/adsl availability.
    -As a test to see if this lifestyle is suitable for us, my girlfriend and I are thinking about moving temporarily to her dad's house which is in a similar situation so we can get a feel for what that lifestyle is actually like to live at full time (travel times especially to and from work).
    -We are both gamers and love playing wow

Her dads current setup;
    -He has a mobile internet plan that runs off a dongle type deal, I think its a 4G type setup, but his download limit is very low like 10GB a month maybe and the speed is pretty bad especially if multiple people are using it (even for light activities such as browsing).
    -Usually at his house I can game tethered off my mobile phone pretty well, get around 50-70ms on WoW which is playable, however I can't download things as I only have about 6GB per month on my data plan.

Ok so here's my question;
    NBN (National Broadband Network) here in Australia is putting out a new Satellite service available to Rural customers and it's available at his location, this internet is considerably cheaper than his current deal and has a much higher download limit (40GB on peak/80GB off peak) however being a Satellite internet the latency is going to be unplayable for games. What I was thinking we could do was change his home internet to Satellite which would not only save him some money but it would give us something that we could download game updates and whatever else on and, download limit permitting of course, some light low quality netflix and such. Then we would use our mobile phones 4G connection while we game to take advantage of the lower latency as gaming doesn't really use alot of my download limit, however I'm going to run some further testing on my home computer I just haven't had the chance to do it yet.

Would this work? The other option is to travel into town and update our computers when needed and just use the current dongle internet to game (as well as tethering is needed)

Sorry this is quite long I think I got all the information in there, If anyone has experience with Satellite internet I'd love to hear about it and if you have any questions I'll try to answer them. I've tried to google about this but alot of the posts about Satellite are very old and as not many people use it I'm having trouble finding recent and reliable information.

4G is really unstable, but can give good speed. I was able to get 70Down and about 15Up Mbps, but the ping was really inconsistent which is bad for gaming. I even bought a 4G-antenna to boost the signal that costed me 400$. Playing FPS games with 4G is unplayable but I think it should be fine for Wow. Sorry can't give more input then this.
    Last edited by Guruftw; 2016-11-29 at 07:58 AM.

Yeh it's not too bad for WoW and I use it already every few days tethered to my laptop, I was hoping someone who has used Satellite Internet before could give me some insight into what it was actually like to use and whether It will do what I'm hoping it will, theoretically it should be fine.

Hi OP,
    Satellite and the 4g from cellphones is totally bad idea. Both have really bad pings, once when my old city flooded and the cable was out for a week I decided to tether my phone so i could play some wow the latency was TERRIBLE. You could probably get away with some questing but as for raiding its not doable and the same goes for satellite. GL <3