Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Entire internet to be backed up in Canada over fears of censorship

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fearing-tru...orship-1594116

The Internet Archive, a US-based nonprofit digital library that preserves billions of webpages for historical record, is preparing to build a backup archive in Canada over fears of intrusion US President-elect Donald Trump.

"On 9 November in America, we woke up to a new administration promising radical change," writes founder Brewster Kahle in a blog post. "It was a firm reminder that institutions like ours, built for the long-term, need to design for change. For us, it means keeping our cultural materials safe, private and perpetually accessible. It means preparing for a web that may face greater restrictions. It means serving patrons in a world in which government surveillance is not going away."

The organisation, which relies heavily on grants and donations, is now asking for help from its loyal donors and others who would like to see the Internet Archive last forever without any censorship.

"This project will cost millions. So this is the one time of the year I will ask you: please make a tax-deductible donation to help make sure the Internet Archive lasts forever, writes Kahle.

The organisation, which as of May 2014 had 15 petabytes (1000 terabytes) of data storage, provides free public access to collections of digitised materials. The archive stores web sites, software applications and games, music, movies, moving images and nearly three million public-domain books. Kahle says moving this humongous archive would protect it from efforts to take down specific content. The replica archive will also make it harder to request data on user activity by authorities.

During his campaign, Trump had taken a rigid stance on internet censorship and even mentioned that the tech industry needs to "close that internet up" to stop the spread of extremism.

"Somebody will say, 'Oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech. These are foolish people, " he said earlier.
    It is really sad that something like this needs to be done.
    I wonder where they will store it.

100's of years in the future after the destruction of half the world. The people of earth will come searching for the archives to gain knowledge of the world as it was before them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hahahahaha, what are they going to download the entire internet??

Hahahahahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    100's of years in the future after the destruction of half the world. The people of earth will come searching for the archives to gain knowledge of the world as it was before them.
    They'd probably think we worshiped cats. Oh and this might be their reaction over the other half of the internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Hahahahaha, what are they going to download the entire internet??

Hahahahahaha!
    Huh?

https://archive.org/web/

You realize this is already a thing that exists, and now they're mirroring it in another country... I missed the hilarity?

So....whats this have to do with Trump? Nothing? Just using a touch of fear mongering to rile up some donations? Got it.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good times can be had with the wayback machine.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I'm glad Canada is on top of protecting America's freedom of speech. Maybe next election we won't decide to elect a giant orange Cheeto as president.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    God bless Canada. /salute

laugh look up the https://archive.org/web/
    wayback time machine its already been backing up sites for frEE

Canada is home to two of the largest data centers in the world. One is in Toronto and the other is... somewhere. Plenty of space to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I'm glad Canada is on top of protecting America's freedom of speech. Maybe next election we won't decide to elect a giant orange Cheeto as president.
    You did not just call Donald J. Trump a giant orange Cheeto.

This is war. See you on Twitter, Celista.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here in Canada we have a Prime Minister who thought Castro was an amazing person who did a lot for his country. Not sure it's better.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    This is war. See you on Twitter, Celista.
    I'm not afraid of a ferret that has learned how to access the internet. Bring it on

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Here in Canada we have a Prime Minister who thought Castro was an amazing person who did a lot for his country. Not sure it's better.
    Lmao.One statement to judge a person. How awful of you!

I was fascinated by the fact that he included in his statement that his parents were buddies with Castro. Like they were lifelong bros.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was fascinated by the fact that he included in his statement that his parents were buddies with Castro. Like they were lifelong bros.
    Got to say my palm met my face quite swiftly when I've read his statement. Although in a sense, it's not extremely surprising considering Justin's father was also Prime Minister of Canada back then and had a lot of contacts within Cuba. Still, this is one of those occasions where he missed it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Lmao.One statement to judge a person. How awful of you!
    I actually like Trudeau, at least more than I did Harper. But he has yet to legalize marijuana. Meanwhile, he's taking selfies with everybody he cross.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

So basically they are spending millions out of paranoia?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    During his campaign, Trump had taken a rigid stance on internet censorship and even mentioned that the tech industry needs to "close that internet up" to stop the spread of extremism.
    For all the ambiguities that remain in the plan—and yes, there are many—Trump’s idea actually sounds rather similar to Clinton’s, though it is a bit more ridiculously presented through his sole name-checking of the tech magnate.
    http://fortune.com/2015/12/08/donald...ates-internet/

More fear mongering for profit if you ask me. Can't wait for the US to wake up and start electing 3rd party candidates so this left/right circle jerk can end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it is better to think that a murderous dictator was an amazing person, than to be utterly ignorant about everything and a spoiled manchild who can't handle a tiny bit of criticism without advocating for censorship.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    So....whats this have to do with Trump? Nothing? Just using a touch of fear mongering to rile up some donations? Got it.
    Er...it was listed right there in what the OP put up...

"Somebody will say, 'Oh, freedom of speech, freedom of speech. These are foolish people, " he said earlier.
    So, yeah, this does have something to do with Trump.