New PTR Holy Shield Discussion

Looking pretty sexy if i do say so myself! Curious as to what others are thinking of it.

Increases Block by 15% and can block spells now.

Deleted
    Block spells isnt new.. you can do it before. But this increases block for 15% can be good. we need see more about it.

What's the difference between 30 and 35 blockchance

How would one find out how much %mitigation is for so much block?

The buff to the talent certainly makes it better than it was previously and stronger in the situations that you would would pick it anyways (constant ticking magic damage) However there are also major issues in the way our block chance scales with our mastery currently that make our black chance so low to begin with that taking this talent doesn't gain us much defensively or offensively for a pure auto attack scenario. example being with 34% mastery and 3/3 point into bastion of truth (6% block chance) one would expect 40% block chance, however its actually around 29%. however.

This is our control, we will always have this base value "editing to clarify for people"
    If we had say 25% block chance over 10 melee hits for 1,000,000 dmg we would expect to mitigate either 800,000 or 1,200,000 dmg through blocked attacks since we can't block half a melee swing.

Where as with Divine hammer @ 15% over 10 melee hits assuming perfect usage of divine hammer we would expect to mitigate 1,500,000 dmg, BEFORE blocked attacks.

If we then change to holy shield with the proposed 7.1.5 changes and divine hammer with the 7.1.5 changes, we would expect 40% block chance, we would expect to mitigate 1,600,000 dmg over 10 swings an increase of 400,000 - 800,000 dmg blocked.
    with divine hammer @ the 12% assuming perfect usage we would expect to mitigate 1,200,000 dmg BEFORE blocked attacks.

As our block chance gets higher HS will provide a higher value to us offensively, the argument then shifts to DPS gains and loses of Hammer Vs. HS on a pure melee only scenario Hammer will always provide more dps unless we had something ridiculous like 60%+ block (feel free to do the math and correct me i don't want to) or the ap co-efficient was buffed on HS, that being said any fight with ticking magic dmg HS will always win.
    Last edited by Zedthetank; 2016-12-01 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuel View Post
    How would one find out how much %mitigation is for so much block?
    A blocked attack hits for 60 % (is reduced by 40 %).
    One percent of block chance will reduce your damage taken from attacks that can be blocked by 0.4 % on average.

Quote Originally Posted by Zedthetank View Post
    If we had say 25% block chance over 10 melee hits for 1,000,000 dmg we would expect to mitigate either 800,000 or 1,200,000 through blocked attacks since we can't block half a melee swing, where as with Divine hammer @ 15% over 10 melee hits assumeing perfect usage of divine hammer we would expect to mitigate 1,500,000 dmg

If we then change to holy shield with the proposed 7.1.5 changes and divine hammer with the 7.1.5 changes, we would expect 40% block chance, we would expect to mitigate 1,600,000 dmg over 10 swings, and with divine hammer @ the 12% assuming perfect usage we would expect to mitigate 1,200,000 dmg
    I don't quite follow you here, are you assuming that we lose all block chance and have 0 % once we talent out of holy shield?

Zed's premise is false: our block chance does nothing to improve HS' damage mitigation. It will always mitigate AAs by 40% of the bonus block chance it gives, e.g. 4% on live, or 6% on the PTR. So for Zed's example, it'd mitigate 400k live / 600k PTR, not the numbers he arrived at. Though this assumes no other avoidance; with 25% avoidance it would actually just block 300k / 450k damage on average - which matters for the comparison since BH's uptime isn't reduced by swings that miss.

Whether this will ever compete with BH in that setting depends on BH's uptime, which I'm not savvy enough to calculate. But I'm sure somebody out there knows the answer to that question.