Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In it's end Marxism is stateless, but Marxism requires the state to bring about that end. It doesn't just declare no state. He's actually quite specific in the exact steps needed to progress to a stateless circumstance which, btw, required complete automation of labor.
    ... and as we've seen in practice a handful of times, summary murder of countless potential uncooperative obstacles to achieving utopia for the crime of... disagreeing that it would be utopia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kids dont give a damn about either book! Hell how many high school seniors test at an 8th grade reading level?

Most cannot comprehend anything of value from the books. Like I said, no one goes around saying "boy, did Finn change my life" because most people can't even remember a line from the book. To Kill A Mockingbird? The movie is usually shown too.

Gotta teach kids to read and train teachers to properly teach the books first.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

when I was in secondary school, which was about ten years ago, we read lord of the flies. There is a point in that book where there is a term used to describe black people and it is meant offensively, before we got to that part of the book, our teacher explained it and what it meant, said that it was much more accepted term back then, it isn't today and that was that, no complaints or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    when I was in secondary school, which was about ten years ago, we read lord of the flies. There is a point in that book where there is a term used to describe black people and it is meant offensively, before we got to that part of the book, our teacher explained it and what it meant, said that it was much more accepted term back then, it isn't today and that was that, no complaints or anything.
    That also is pretty dependant on which kids are in the class.

One class of kids might behave or snicker for a moment. Another might just ignore the teacher and repeat it just to annoy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird is probably the best children's book I've ever read (from the far past, of course.) It's a book every child should read before high school, if only to keep the memory fresh that some time in the past we didn't treat everyone the best. Atticus proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that his client was innocent, and the jury still finding him guilty, was outrageous to me when I read it, and still is to this day.

Love that book. Go pick it up if you haven't read it! Or, watch the movie! Gregory Peck NAILS Atticus Finch.
    We read that and Les Miserables in an AP English class in I think 8th grade. The best part was we also got field trips to see both in theatre. It wasn't any major production, but the actor who portrayed Atticus Finch did a knockout job. I hope my kids still retain the opportunity to read literary works like these as they grow older and experience them like I did.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and just generally Mark Twain in general are up there amongst the most overrated things to have ever existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

And once again SJWs have proven themselves devoid of any sense of irony or literary rhetorical devices. When they see something that triggers them, they can't think past the superficial material facts (the specific words on the page) in order to realize the literary purpose of those words being there. You see a lot of this mentality in anyone advocating a totalitarian system, so be on guard.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, no. People seriously need to read Marx and not listen to McCarthyist propaganda.

Marx's utopia was a stateless society. 1984's fascism is about as directly contradictory to Marxist thought as it's possible to be.

Which isn't surprising, as a criticism of Stalinism, because Stalinism emerged as an assault and overthrow of Marxist thought, itself.
    This is basically like believing in religion because theoretically it sounds nice. Your epistemology is wrong, not to mention you have a lot of immoral baggage on your hands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This is basically like believing in religion because theoretically it sounds nice. Your epistemology is wrong, not to mention you have a lot of immoral baggage on your hands.
    Is this where you blame Marx for the actions of people who not only came after Marx, but rejected Marxist ethics wholesale?

It's kind of like not blaming Adam Smith for the emergence of the slave trade.

So let me get this straight.

They ban two of the best anti-racism books out there, for racism?

Progressives whoo go!

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post

Progressives whoo go!
    Low information progressivism is on the rise. And man does it feel good!

10+ Year Old Account
    Still don't see how this is an SJW issue when these books have been on the chopping block for years... over protective parents over reacting is not new.

Anyone who supports this didn't read the books in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    The answer to your question is in the post you quoted. I've said several times now that I don't agree with the ban. If you aren't willing to read even short posts with the least bit of attention and if you're just going to spend your time telling me I don't really think what I think, then this is not a conversation and there is nothing to be gained here by anyone.
    Thats fine. I know you're really just in this thread to complain about people complaining about this womans complaining. Good show!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    While I think banning a book is stupid, it bears mentioning that all this would mean is that the books aren't in school libraries and not used in classrooms, and only the public schools that are part of this particular school board. It's less "banning" and more "we're not carrying that material at this time".

I still disagree, but this stuff is getting blown a bit out of proportion. Books are taken out for a whole bunch of reasons. It's kind of like finding out your local school has ended music classes for the coming year, and describing it as "they've banned MUSIC". It's hyperbolic at best.
    Not even close to being the same things. Its not allowed to be taught or used as material, and its not allowed to be shelved in the library. Thats way different than simply not having a music program in your middle school for a solitary year.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post

Progressives whoo go!
    I've not read Finn but Mockingbird is top quality litterature and sometimes i feel it should be a requirement to read for it's message.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!