Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I hope China is pissed. They need us more than we need them.
    you can't be serious

Quote Originally Posted by twelvethirty View Post
    Democratically elected leader calls democratically elected leader, reds get pissy. Trump can talk to whomever he wants. The United States does not answer to China.
    Just accept that the "United States" is not the golden Global Player anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekobe140 View Post
    Well I myself didn't see any info on what was said, or what even the conversation was about. So I'm going to assume it was something about how our jobs are being outsourced to China and Trump's like "Hey, we're bringing them back to our country."
    I'm going to assume that he threatened to build a wall around the ocean becuase it makes me chuckle.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokami View Post
    They won't accept that they. They love to think that they can piss someone or even a whole country off and there be no consequences. Newsflash for them: China, while not nearly as militantly powerful as the US, is on near equal footing with us economically. A small disruption because Trump is a dumbass with loose lips can mean financial hardship for many US citizens.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
    You can think it's silly. Doesn't change the fact that Trump pissed off China. You can think it's a dumb reason. China is still pissed off, and saying "fuck it" from a nobody means nothing when it comes to international politics.
    It's incredibly stupid and I personally don't really believe that associating with people this temperamental is ever a good idea. I'd rather our government not walk on eggshells all day long when it comes to international politics. If China is pissed then they should get in contact with Trump but I don't know what good that will do. They're probably just looking for excuses to hate on us since Trump's campaign was constantly shitting on China.

10+ Year Old Account
    China replies, "The Great Wall just got ten feet higher".

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    China replies, "The Great Wall just got ten feet higher".
    I hope so. Let's build walls at each other until one of us loses lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    What is china? A high school freshman chick? Pissed because someone talked to someone else on the phone ? Get the fuck over it already.
    Haha, yeah, kinda like Trump gets upset at everything.

Truly the match of the ages. Two oversensitive pricks leading powerful countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I hope China is pissed. They need us more than we need them.
    *hysterical laughter*

Who cares if he pisses off China? What are they going to do? Manufacture crap products to ship over here? Wait, they already do that. Taiwan has been getting the Tibet like treatment from China for years. It's about time we had a leader was some f'ing balls.

China manipulates currency
    China ships toxic products
    China forces other countries to join it
    China is the top polluter
    China uses the government to favor it's mobile phones and screws Apple at every chance and that is just one example

We don't owe China anything, in fact we have boosted the hell out of their economy. Enough is enough, it's time we get a better deal and regulate some of the crap coming out of that country since they won't!

All I am reminded is this video.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserneko View Post
    Alright, you've convinced me. You've defeated me with your superior intellect and articulate arguments. All hail Jokerfiend.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    This might be "screwing up" in politics but China is honestly being a little bitch about this. Who cares about a phone call? Why does it even matter. China is so obsessed with their own honor that anybody who even talks to the leaders in Taiwan is immediately deemed to be unforgivable? Forget this nonsense.
    China's fundamentally a revisionist power. Their entire policy - domestic, military, foreign, economic, social - has a fundamental foundation in that Western interference in China's internal affairs prior to the Communist Party victory in the Chinese Civil War weakened and destroyed what was once, the world's most important country and it's most populous. They see themselves as emerging into a world that they had basically no role in constructing. And they want to "rewrite" the rules, so to speak.

Grabbing parts of China - Hong Kong, Macau - and other parts being divided and conquered by foreign powers is seen as being part of the center of China's centuries long national humiliation that the "rising China' is, at it's most fundamental level, making right (or so they say). As they would have it, China will never be a victim ever again.

China regards Taiwan as a renegade province. They regard the fact that, until the early 1970s, it was Taiwan (the Republic of China) that represented 'China' on the UN Security Council, and not the PRoC, which was not recognized as 'China', and as the co-Victor of World War II, as but the latest of the West's many humiliations.

Over the last 50 years China (PRoC) had labored aggressively to get countries to switch their recognition of what is "china" from Taiwan to the People's Republic. And they've been tremendously successful at isolating Taiwan in such a manner.

This is a core issue to them. Trump just crossed one of China's reddest lines. What he did strikes at the very heart of what China considers it's very existence - the 'concept' of China complete with its historic territorial integrity, which includes the island of Taiwan.

To quote Ari Fleischer:
    https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/sta...24427087228928
    "Uh-oh. I wasn't even allowed to refer to the gvt "of" Taiwan. (I could say gvt "on" Taiwan.) China will go nuts."

The last time the US and China had a major confrontation over Taiwan, President Clinton sent two aircraft carriers through the strait in order to make a point that Taiwan is protected.

We'll see if that becomes necessary again. We're not nearly ready for such a confrontation. All Trump supporters should keep in mind in their bloodlust to go slay the ISIS dragon, that the greater monster, China, actually wants to depose the US as the world's dominant power, and unlike ISIS is steadily accumulating the means to do it as we waste resources fighting islamic terrorism in brushfire wars. Hopefully you folks will eventually focus on the greater threat, and not the sideshow in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    It's incredibly stupid and I personally don't really believe that associating with people this temperamental is ever a good idea. I'd rather our government not walk on eggshells all day long when it comes to international politics. If China is pissed then they should get in contact with Trump but I don't know what good that will do. They're probably just looking for excuses to hate on us since Trump's campaign was constantly shitting on China.
    A concern is that this is absolutely unnecessarily escalating the conflict over dumb shit. It's one thing to have a more aggressive approach with China. It's another thing to pick a fight about something fucking dumb like this. (edit: Note that Trump even wants an isolationist policy so doubtful he'd even go back up Taiwan.)

China CAN compete with us economically, just not militarily. Yet. Between incidents like this and backing out of the TPP, it can absolutely hurt us when China steps up as the new power player and global manufacturer. It can also cause backlash to Taiwan as two of the only things keeping them alive are foreign support and not being "officially" recognized.
    Last edited by Bullettime; 2016-12-03 at 01:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Do u really believe what u say?
    Do you really not agree?

Please enlighten me. If we stop doing business with them, our ability to borrow will hurt. But if they stop trading with us, that ruins over half their economy.

Think he'll make any impeachment-worthy fuck-ups before 2020? How much do Republicans want to deal with Pence as pres?
    I think the day will come when he will be much more trouble than he's worth. Trump's purpose, such as it is, is to put on a grand show and sign Paul Ryan, the actual most powerful person in Washington's budget. If he becomes a distraction, Republicans will create an excuse to remove him.

Let's not forget how Nixon's resignation happened: he called Congressional Republicans, who had turned against Nixon and liked Gerald Ford, who was House Minority Leader. When they made clear they would not protect him, he realized the jig is up, and resigned.

The Trumpkins are dishonest people intrinsically and will never admit to it, but Trump is a serially lazy, sloppy, dishonest man. It's going to catch up with him in this job. The fact that Romney/Paul Ryan people seem to be everywhere all of a sudden indicates that Trump is effectively being compartmentalized as a guy who stages rallies and rubber stamps things that Ryan and Mitch McConnell will create.

Someone needs to throw his goddamn phone out of a moving car though.

They won't accept that they. They love to think that they can piss someone or even a whole country off and there be no consequences. Newsflash for them: China, while not nearly as militantly powerful as the US, is on near equal footing with us economically. A small disruption because Trump is a dumbass with loose lips can mean financial hardship for many US citizens.
    Make American Great Again.

Cmon people! This isn't 1952?
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    Source: http://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/02/donal...iwan-call.html

So yeah Trump just managed to piss on 40 years of US policy, piss off Beijing, and it was probably on accident....
    Bullshit story is bullshit Obama did far worse than take a phone call.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/16/po...l?eref=edition

Perhaps it was done as a shot across the bow. Play ball with me once I get in on renegotiating some trade deals, stop the egressing currency manipulation and I will drop this whole Taiwan nonsense. Decide you want to fight me on everything, well guess who I have on the phone, Taiwan. I think this was done on purpose and was calculated to send a message, nice thing being this wasn't an official message due to him not being in power yet. Say what you want, but Trump as been proving people wrong for almost two years now, perhaps he is smarter then the posters on this forum, or at the very least, more experienced in these types of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Bullshit story is bullshit Obama did far worse than take a phone call.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/16/po...l?eref=edition
    China objected but to them, business is still business. Recognizing Taiwan is a hit to their pride and insult to their nation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    I think the day will come when he will be much more trouble than he's worth. Trump's purpose, such as it is, is to put on a grand show and sign Paul Ryan, the actual most powerful person in Washington's budget. If he becomes a distraction, Republicans will create an excuse to remove him.

Let's not forget how Nixon's resignation happened: he called Congressional Republicans, who had turned against Nixon and liked Gerald Ford, who was House Minority Leader. When they made clear they would not protect him, he realized the jig is up, and resigned.

The Trumpkins are dishonest people intrinsically and will never admit to it, but Trump is a serially lazy, sloppy, dishonest man. It's going to catch up with him in this job. The fact that Romney/Paul Ryan people seem to be everywhere all of a sudden indicates that Trump is effectively being compartmentalized as a guy who stages rallies and rubber stamps things that Ryan and Mitch McConnell will create.

Someone needs to throw his goddamn phone out of a moving car though.
    You most likely said that Trump could never win the election. Ever stop for a moment and think you may be wrong about some things? Not saying you are, but you speak in such a way as to state things as fact. This guy has been winning his whole life, I see no change now.