Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Is demon hunter tanking satisfying?

I am on the fence on mains and figured I would post

how is the tanking? compared to other stuff

is it engaging and fun

That's something you really need to decide for your self. I'll say one thing though: no one is playing vengeance because it's the best (cause it's not). They play it because they enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by diachroniko View Post
    That's something you really need to decide for your self. I'll say one thing though: no one is playing vengeance because it's the best (cause it's not). They play it because they enjoy it.
    I like it but one thing. MY HP is either at full or next to 0 and that is the most nirv racking part of it. Also our dps was nerfed to the ground for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    I like it but one thing. MY HP is either at full or next to 0 and that is the most nirv racking part of it. Also our dps was nerfed to the ground for no reason.
    Vengeance is very spikey yes. It's just how the spec plays and learning to play around that is part off the spec. It's something you'll get used to with experience. Also our damage really isn't that bad. It's lower than it used to be but mostly in M+ aoe.

I personally enjoy Monk and DH Tanking... But compared to the other tanks, they're just a bit weaker in most situations. They're not Bad, just the others can do most things better and more efficiently. (Though, I feel I can AoE farm NPC's a lot easier as a Brewmaster than the other classes in the Tank Role.)

Gearing up, Heroics, General World content, and probably early Mythics it's mostly just play what you want to play, or what feels right. Don't need to worry about playing to your classes full potential.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
    Gearing up, Heroics, General World content, and probably early Mythics it's mostly just play what you want to play, or what feels right. Don't need to worry about playing to your classes full potential.
    This mostly. Unless you're pushing top end content it makes no real difference what tanks you have. You're better off playing what you enjoy or perform best as (which in my experience are almost always the same thing).

Deleted
    Is demon hunter tanking satisfying?
    No.

I play DH since i like the lore with them.
    DPS DH in raids/M+ = some other class dose it better,
    Tank DH in raids/M+ = some other class dose it better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by diachroniko View Post
    I'll say one thing though: no one is playing vengeance because it's the best (cause it's not). They play it because they enjoy it.
    qft!

It is satisfying when:
    • you can survive the healers death and most of your dds and still get the kill
    • you manage to stay in the 80-90% percentile with only a few dips
    • Last Resort never proccs
    • Infernal Strike... every damn time
    • you realize you actually have to time your mitigation right (and learn howto)
    • metamorphosis proccs off soul cleave

It is however not satisfying when you realize that almost all other tanks can do their job (!) just as good, and for example the pala by just "lightsaber kid" stumbling around and pressing some random buttons on CD.

Then again, what do you care, you glide-jump strike into the next mob groups and I can absolutely say I never ever had so much fun alone moving from trash to trash.
    Yeah there may be others doing the job as well as veng, but the enjoyment just aint the same (Swipe > Swipe > Swipe > Swipe; repeat ).

Quote Originally Posted by Segaki View Post

Then again, what do you care, you glide-jump strike into the next mob groups
    there you go... playing a demon hunter is very satisfying.

Now if only we had a speed boost on the gliding, like the goblin glider.

Having healers qq to you that dh sucks and they dont want to heal it and then you go and solo the trash/boss np, having people call you huntard with d just cause 90% of players who play dh cant seem to know what they do, kiting til the end of the days in higher m+. Um feeels like my old brew and loving it.

So, having both a 110 Blood DK and 110 V DH I would say this:

Blood DK is easier to tank on. Its just much more simple and your damage and self healing are just higher than DH on average due to class design.

Vengeance DH is more fun to tank on. Being able to bounce around like the hulk and just breath fire on trash and boss alike just feels great. I love to take fel devastation and on fights like dragons (when I don't need to save it for a quick heal) breath fire back at the dragon when its breathing on me. It negates the damage completely and it looks bad ass.

Also, with the high movement of Vengeance, it makes stuff like tank swapping on dragons and getting out for dispel on Xavius a walk in the park.

I have four Tanks in Legion, and I'm more of a casual player, most hard content I play is lower end Mythic dungeons and Normal Raids;

- Level 110 DH @ i865
    - Level 110 Paladin @ i840
    - Level 104 Warrior
    - Level 103 Death Knight

Demon Hunter;
    Out of those four, I would say the Demon Hunter is the most FUN to play, but yes they are very spikey on health, and I am never 100% confident with them on big boss fights. I like the DH class, but the squishy feel is worrisome at times as a Tank.

Paladin;
    My Paladin I am finding very boring, yes he feels rock solid and a tough guy Tanking, but man it plays so lame. But the Paladin just owns trash mobs, I feel like I can handle 30 mobs all at once with this Paladin. The AoE is amazing

Warrior;
    Warrior Tanking I am new at, just started War Tanking at Level 100, now 104, and I do not like it one bit. Self healing seems very low, and the overall play style I just can't get used too. Not a fan.

Death Knight;
    I just dusted off my old DK, got him to 103 this weekend, and I am surprised at how easy and smooth they play. And the self healing is off the charts great. The spell rotation is very simple, maybe too simple, and Death Strike is always there to heal you BIG TIME. I thought the Demon Hunter had great self heals, but this DK seems even better at healing. And they dish out some good DPS. Not sure if they tweaked DK Tanks in patch 7.1 ? But I recall playing him last in the pre expansion for Legion, and I hated him, but they seem improved since then now ?

To wrap up, I'd rank my four Tanks, as far as fun, and self healing, tough guys;

#1 = DH
    #2 = DK
    #3 = Paladin
    #4 = Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

#1 = DH
    #2 = DK
    #3 = Paladin
    #4 = Warrior
    Got all 4 of these at 110 and mostly agree with this in terms of fun levels. Really hate the mobility on the DK but the grips are so good.

It's fine and very Fun to play with.

I Used to tank as a Warrior, so i'm not used to selfheal or anything at all. Warrior was/is much more about taking low-damage. While DH is not all about selfhealing, it's kinda of a balance between Damage Mitigation and Self-Healing. Our cooldowns are fun to play with in general, and Double Jump+Gliiding around while tanking with DH Animations makes me feel awesome.

Apparently it will get even more fun with the new Metamorphosis buffs coming in 7.1.5.
    Signature was infraaaaaaaaaacted. Need a new one!

Most fun tank I've played in a long while, gutted that they have disabled glide in (some) dungeons though

10+ Year Old Account
    I have four Tanks in Legion, and I'm more of a casual player, most hard content I play is lower end Mythic dungeons and Normal Raids;

- Level 110 DH @ i865
    - Level 110 Paladin @ i840
    - Level 104 Warrior
    - Level 103 Death Knight

Demon Hunter;
    Out of those four, I would say the Demon Hunter is the most FUN to play, but yes they are very spikey on health, and I am never 100% confident with them on big boss fights. I like the DH class, but the squishy feel is worrisome at times as a Tank.

Paladin;
    My Paladin I am finding very boring, yes he feels rock solid and a tough guy Tanking, but man it plays so lame. But the Paladin just owns trash mobs, I feel like I can handle 30 mobs all at once with this Paladin. The AoE is amazing

Warrior;
    Warrior Tanking I am new at, just started War Tanking at Level 100, now 104, and I do not like it one bit. Self healing seems very low, and the overall play style I just can't get used too. Not a fan.

Death Knight;
    I just dusted off my old DK, got him to 103 this weekend, and I am surprised at how easy and smooth they play. And the self healing is off the charts great. The spell rotation is very simple, maybe too simple, and Death Strike is always there to heal you BIG TIME. I thought the Demon Hunter had great self heals, but this DK seems even better at healing. And they dish out some good DPS. Not sure if they tweaked DK Tanks in patch 7.1 ? But I recall playing him last in the pre expansion for Legion, and I hated him, but they seem improved since then now ?

To wrap up, I'd rank my four Tanks, as far as fun, and self healing, tough guys;

#1 = DH
    #2 = DK
    #3 = Paladin
    #4 = Warrior
    It really does depend on personal taste.

I have a BrM (main) BDK (main alt) VDH(alt) Prot Pally(alt) and I think my VDH is the LEAST fun of the tanks to tank with. I think the BDK is the most fun followed by the BrM. Prot Pally is fun for dungeon tanking, but I don't like that they have a lot of utility that requires me keeping attention on raid and then making macros and such to BoP/BoSac/etc the newbs that require it. I much prefer being a "selfish" tank like the BDK that really only need to focus on myself while providing nice utility like Brez/AoE grip.

The thing I really don't like about VDH is their self heal mechanic in SC. I hate that it sucks up all of my Pain instead of just a set constant amount. I like that I can store up RP on my DK and then let loose 2 vicious DS that does great damage and pretty much full heals me (especially with VB up). Where as the the DH's SC pretty much only makes me use it once because it'll just use more Pain. I think SC is just a worse version of DS. Also, I prefer AMS over SW and I prefer BS over DS. However, I do like VDH's mobility over the DK and their Meta defense is pretty fun and is getting some nice buffs next patch, which is cool.
    Last edited by Saverem; 2016-12-05 at 08:42 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

BrM and DH are my two favorites. I haven't touch prot pally for about 2 years, nor do I expect to. What is fun is up to the player and the content they do though. It is impossible for any of us to tell you what you will like, even more so based on the complete lack of information provided. You might as well tell us to pick your favorite song, color and meal while you are at it.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    It really does depend on personal taste.

I have a BrM (main) BDK (main alt) VDH(alt) Prot Pally(alt) and I think my VDH is the LEAST fun of the tanks to tank with. I think the BDK is the most fun followed by the BrM. Prot Pally is fun for dungeon tanking, but I don't like that they have a lot of utility that requires me keeping attention on raid and then making macros and such to BoP/BoSac/etc the newbs that require it. I much prefer being a "selfish" tank like the BDK that really only need to focus on myself while providing nice utility like Brez/AoE grip.

The thing I really don't like about VDH is their self heal mechanic in SC. I hate that it sucks up all of my Pain instead of just a set constant amount. I like that I can store up RP on my DK and then let loose 2 vicious DS that does great damage and pretty much full heals me (especially with VB up). Where as the the DH's SC pretty much only makes me use it once because it'll just use more Pain. I think SC is just a worse version of DS. Also, I prefer AMS over SW and I prefer BS over DS. However, I do like VDH's mobility over the DK and their Meta defense is pretty fun and is getting some nice buffs next patch, which is cool.
    Good points, and playing my Death Knight Tank this weekend, for the first time since Summer, has been very refreshing, after playing a sh!t ton of Demon Hunter and Paladin Tanking this Fall.

I am beginning to prefer my DK Tank over these two. But he's only Level 103 right now, i need to work on him now to 110 and gear him up, but so far it's been more fun than I thought, and the self healing with Death Strike is fantastic, much better healing than DH's SC and Paladin's Light thing.

But the mobility with the wings and spells like Fellblade that have you charge to your character, do make the DH Tank a lot more fun and fast, whereas the DK Tank is sort of just there, and walks slowly around.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the mobility with the wings and spells like Fellblade that have you charge to your character, do make the DH Tank a lot more fun and fast, whereas the DK Tank is sort of just there, and walks slowly around.
    Yep. Mobility is by far the worst part about DKs. Even Prot pallies can have a 2 charge Divine Steed every 20s. BDKs are stuck with a 3s 70% every 45s... Pure shit.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    Yep. Mobility is by far the worst part about DKs. Even Prot pallies can have a 2 charge Divine Steed every 20s. BDKs are stuck with a 3s 70% every 45s... Pure shit.

I recall like back in MoP or sometime, that either the Paladin or DK Tanks got a talent to allow them to walk 30% faster, all the time ? Why was that ever removed ? I think all Tank classes should have faster mobility, for the important reason of needing to be ahead of the rest in Dungeons and Raids.