Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

US Army Corp of Engineers: Dakota Pipeline to be re-routed

(CNN)The Army will not approve an easement that would allow the proposed Dakota Access Pipeline to cross under Lake Oahe in North Dakota, the Army's assistant secretary for civil works announced Sunday.

Jo-Ellen Darcy said she based her decision on a need to explore alternate routes for the pipeline crossing. This comes three weeks after a November 14 announcement from her office that delayed the decision after protests from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and their supporters.
    "Although we have had continuing discussion and exchanges of new information with the Standing Rock Sioux and Dakota Access, it's clear that there's more work to do," Darcy said in her statement. "The best way to complete that work responsibly and expeditiously is to explore alternate routes for the pipeline crossing."
    Darcy said that the consideration of alternative routes would be best accomplished through an environmental impact statement with full public input and analysis.
    The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe oppose the pipeline because their federal reservation lies just a half mile south of the proposed crossing location. Officials for the tribe have explicitly stated their resistance, saying they fear a rupture or spill from the pipeline could be hazardous to the tribal members and could damage their water supply.
    "We wholeheartedly support the decision of the administration and commend with the utmost gratitude the courage it took on the part of President Obama, the Army Corps, the Department of Justice and the Department of the Interior to take steps to correct the course of history and to do the right thing," Standing Rock Sioux Tribal Chairman Dave Archambault II said in a statement.
    Thousands of protestors have taken up residence at the Standing Rock site to stand in solidarity with Native Americans to oppose the 1,172-mile long proposed pipeline, a $3.7 billion project that would transport 470,000 barrels of oil a day across four states.
    North Dakota's sole member in the House of Representatives, Rep. Kevin Cramer, a Republican, expressed his disapproval in a scathing statement released Sunday that slammed President Barack Obama as well as the protestors.
    "I hoped even a lawless president wouldn't continue to ignore the rule of law. However, it was becoming increasingly clear he was punting this issue down the road," Cramer wrote. "Today's unfortunate decision sends a very chilling signal to others who want to build infrastructure in this country. Roads, bridges, transmission lines, pipelines, wind farms and water lines will be very difficult, if not impossible, to build when criminal behavior is rewarded this way."
    Other politicians, including Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, have actively opposed the pipeline and are praising President Obama's decision.
    "I appreciate very much President Obama listening to the Native American people and millions of others who believe this pipeline should not be built," Sanders, a 2016 Democratic presidential candidate, said in a statement. "In the year 2016, we should not continue to trample on Native American sovereignty. We should not endanger the water supply of millions of people. We should not become more dependent on fossil fuel and accelerate the planetary crisis of climate change. Our job now is to transform our energy system away from fossil fuels, not to produce more greenhouse gas emissions."
    Earlier this week, North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple ordered the protestors to leave the campsite by Monday, citing the harsh winter conditions as a reason why they needed to decamp. The US Army Corps of Engineers had warned that come Monday, activists who refuse to leave the campsite could be arrested, then backtracked, saying the agency had no plans to forcibly remove those who stay.
    Instead of backing away, the protestors came out in full force and showed no signs of backing down, even inviting over 2,000 veterans to join their already robust presence. Now with a victory for the Sioux tribe and their supporters, Standing Rock has become a protest symbol.
    CNN's Barbara Starr and Kevin Bohn contributed to this report.
    http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/04/politi...ine/index.html

Thoughts? I, for one, am glad that the Corps was willing to rethink their stance after all this time. Goes to show that public pressure can have an effect.

While I love the decision, we all know Trump will just over ride this with an executive order.
    Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

7+ Year Old Account
    On CNN's website, I read that a group of veterans was arriving to support the protesters. Maybe that had something to do with it? Dragging off and handcuffing veterans engaged in protest would look really bad in the news.

Kind of a conflict for right wingers lol.

"Drill, baby, drill" vs "Support Our Troops"
    @TITAN308
    @10thMountainMan

Any comments?
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Good for them, they fought hard for it. Hope someone higher up doesn't try to step in.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    While I love the decision, we all know Trump will just over ride this with an executive order.
    He can't. Since he owns a stake in the pipeline there would be an immediate hold it. Plus such and executive order could only be made if congress wasn't in session.

I thought the main goal was to stop the pipeline all together, not just have it be moved. I know the premise was "omg holy land" but really it was designed to not get it completed at all, its still going to be completed, so for people other than the Sioux, it doesn't look like a real victory to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    On CNN's website, I read that a group of veterans was arriving to support the protesters. Maybe that had something to do with it? Dragging off and handcuffing veterans engaged in protest would look really bad in the news.

Kind of a conflict for right wingers lol.

"Drill, baby, drill" vs "Support Our Troops"
    @TITAN308
    @10thMountainMan

Any comments?
    I feel my fellow veterans involved with the protest are ill informed, although well intentioned.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2016-12-04 at 11:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I feel my fellow veterans involved with the protest are ill informed, although we'll intentioned.
    Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot the Tony. I am disapoint.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    They will move it a mile upstream and finish it quietly before anyone notices.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Holy crap, I can't believe I forgot the Tony. I am disapoint.
    It's okay, I'm known for being a calm and non controversial poster

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    They will move it a mile upstream and finish it quietly before anyone notices.
    I hope so...

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I feel my fellow veterans involved with the protest are ill informed, although we'll intentioned.
    I think that there are potential adverse effects on Native land that is used for subsistence purposes, such as the quality of drinking water and disruption of local ecosystems, whether the pipeline is built *on* Native land or *right next* to Native land. That is completely ignoring the effect of tar sands oil excavation on the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I think that there are potential adverse effects on Native land that is used for subsistence purposes, such as the quality of drinking water and disruption of local ecosystems, whether the pipeline is built *on* Native land or *right next* to Native land. That is completely ignoring the effect of tar sands oil excavation on the environment.
    As far as I've read, the pipeline is being built on land where there are already pre existing pipelines, and are upstream from the river itself using construction standards that are stringent.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2016-12-04 at 11:43 PM.

Brewmaster
    7+ Year Old Account
    Crybabies got what they wanted

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Most of them are probably reservist or boot wash outs who never actually deployed.
    Because everyone that doesn't share your opinion must be lazy or a coward, right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Trump and Congress can override this? The president is supposed to lead the army, not the other way around.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Trump and Congress can override this?
    Why should they?

Hopefully Trump does something about this in January.

I have to side with Rep. Cramer on this one. This stinks of abuse of executive power. Like it or not, we are a nation of laws. And those laws were with the pipeline's backers.

Quote Originally Posted by Vallin View Post
    Since he has stake in the company that is doing the pipeline, I wouldn't really be surprised.