Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How To Spot A Toxic Culture -- Before You Take The Job

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/.../#66bdef5e1f76

You have to pay close attention on a job interview, because if you get into the wrong company you'll be stuck. You don't want to take a new job and then realize within a few weeks that you have to start job-hunting again.

That's incredibly stressful, and you'll have another problem in that case as well because you'll have to explain to employers why you just took a new job and you're already job-hunting.

Either that, or you'll have to hide the fact that you're working. What a pain in the neck!

If you can hold out for a reasonably healthy culture in your next company, you will be glad you did.

We are trained to go to a job interview and perform like a circus dog in a tutu. We forget that a job interview is not an audition.

The people who interview you are picking a new employee, and you are picking a new employer. You can't entrust your brand and your time and energy to just anyone. Not everyone deserves your talents!
    Here are ten signs to watch out for -- signs of an unhealthy culture that will show up during the hiring process.

When you spot these signs it means there are cultural problems in the company that's interviewing you. Don't overlook these red flags!

1. They schedule you for an interview but when you arrive, they weren't expecting you and everybody is confused.

2. They reach out to you when they first get your resume or application, but then there are major delays and obstacles to surmount before you can get an interview -- and no one tells you what the process looks like as you step into it. They expect you to do whatever they ask you to do (take a test, submit a writing sample, complete a questionnaire) -- and do it fast!

3. You interview with a firm but you can't get a read on the situation. You can't figure out who's in charge, who your manager would be if you take the job or what the job is all about. Nobody seems to know!
    4. They call you on the phone or email you and immediately demand to know your past and/or present salary. That's a huge red flag.

5. You have one interview and it goes great. Then they go radio silent. Weeks go by. One day they contact you again like it's only been a minute since you spoke. They want you to interview again but there's no apology for the silence or the delay. That's not good!

6. During your interview process, things keep changing. The cast of characters is in constant flux and it looks like the company strategy is in flux, too. If you are going to step into a volatile situation, take care of yourself. Get an employment contract. It's what any consultant would do -- and you are a consultant now, yourself.

7. Your interview process is like a roller coaster with sudden drops and twists. One minute you're sure you are going to get the job. Everybody is excited to see you when you show up. The next time they see you,they ignore you. What's going on? There's an energetic disturbance in the company -- that much is clear.

8. Your hiring manager isn't straight with you. You can't get past their veneer to see the real person behind the job title. They maintain the attitude and belief that they are interviewing you and not the other way around. Ask yourself: could I hang out with this manager if we were stuck in a remote airport together during a snowstorm? If the answer is no, don't take the job. Your brain cells, heart cells and equilibrium are precious things. Why invest them in someone you don't trust or respect?

9. You are not invited to meet your future teammates and you can't seem to get into your physical work area to check it out, either. You can't get your hands on a copy of the company's Employee Handbook or the bonus program that will determine how much money you earn in this job. Don't work for people who hide things from you! Nothing will get better after you start the job.

10. Your gut does not like the job.You don't need any more reason than that to walk away from a job opportunity.

Humans are an old species. Our trusty instincts evolved to keep us safe. Listen to your body and you will not go wrong!
    I just read this article on Forbes and thought it might be something good to post for those on here that are currently looking for work and are a bit inexperienced in job searching.

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizryan/.../#66bdef5e1f76

I just read this article on Forbes and thought it might be something good to post for those on here that are currently looking for work and are a bit inexperienced in job searching.
    I read it all hoping for some good advice but it was all pretty generic and basic common sense.

Looks like just another top 10 click bait articles. Forbes do em all the time

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I read it all hoping for some good advice but it was all pretty generic and basic common sense.

You'd think so, but applying that common sense during the interview process can be difficult, especially with young workers who are new to career hunting, or just graduated college and are pursuing their first "real" job. Emotions take over and often times people aren't valuing their labor as much as they should, take jobs that they are over qualified for, or accept employment with companies that have toxic leadership and are their way to bankruptcy.

Sometimes they interview you, they pick someone else but you were #2. Then the guy they pick quits because he got a better off the next day so now they are calling you. Is it wrong? I don't think so, it's just the way things worked out.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

I've gone thru with number 5 once. I was interviewed with one person, was promised a spot on upcoming job after the interview, but week before the job was to start, a new person had replaced the interviewer, and wanted to interview everyone again personally. My answer was absolutely not. No one wastes my time a second time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

You'd think so, but applying that common sense during the interview process can be difficult, especially with young workers who are new to career hunting, or just graduated college and are pursuing their first "real" job. Emotions take over and often times people aren't valuing their labor as much as they should, take jobs that they are over qualified for, or accept employment with companies that have toxic leadership and are their way to bankruptcy.
    Well most young people have to take what they can get. Its better to be working and looking for work, than unemployed and looking for work.

Its all situational. If you can afford to wait for better long term options thats ideal but that is not always the case. Especially now with jobs disappearing everywhere to technology.

The easiest way to tell if the culture is toxic is to just talk to the ordinary workers in the place. If they tell you it sucks to work there it probably does.

The second one is if anything strikes you as odd.

I've only had one job I would define as "toxic" and I left rather quickly. They interviewed me off site because they site had work going on, which prevented me from talking to the regular workers to "feel" out the place (I always like to do so). A couple of other things struck me as odd, but I didn't think much of it.

After talking to the other workers my first day on the job, I could tell no one liked working there. I quickly learned why. The boss was absolutely terrible and had no idea what they were doing. No plans, no initiatives, no strategy, nothing.

The best one on that list is the last one, the gut feeling. Always go with your gut, research backs this up.

Deleted
    TIL the interview process for my current job was pretty damn solid. I moan about my job sometimes, but the HR/management folks are usually on point and they always at least respond to my requests (e.g. if I need unscheduled time off for some reason, they'll usually look into whether it's possible and get back to me within hours).

It's definitely a good list for people currently looking for jobs though. One thing I think they missed out on was:

1. They ask you for your social media (usually Facebook) details and if it's a private account, they ask for your password.

It's one thing if a HR/recruitment department tries to stalk you on Facebook on their own (which is still creepy but hey, it happens) and you've got all that shit public for the whole world to see. But if your social media profiles are 100% private and locked down, nobody should ask you for passwords. Ever. That's your private life and it is not your employer's business what you choose to do with it. If an interviewer starts prying like that, it's only going to go downhill from there and you're best walking out right there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Neps View Post
    TIL the interview process for my current job was pretty damn solid. I moan about my job sometimes, but the HR/management folks are usually on point and they always at least respond to my requests (e.g. if I need unscheduled time off for some reason, they'll usually look into whether it's possible and get back to me within hours).

It's definitely a good list for people currently looking for jobs though. One thing I think they missed out on was:

1. They ask you for your social media (usually Facebook) details and if it's a private account, they ask for your password.

It's one thing if a HR/recruitment department tries to stalk you on Facebook on their own (which is still creepy but hey, it happens) and you've got all that shit public for the whole world to see. But if your social media profiles are 100% private and locked down, nobody should ask you for passwords. Ever. That's your private life and it is not your employer's business what you choose to do with it. If an interviewer starts prying like that, it's only going to go downhill from there and you're best walking out right there and then.
    I've heard that this happens before and honestly it seems kinda crazy to me. Has anyone here actually been asked for their social media passwords by an interviewer before?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

I have to call bull shit to number 1 asking for your password, they have no grounds to do that.

I've known people to be asked make it non private, I've known for jobs to ask for a Facebook link (some even do twitter now) and its generally a accepted practice for a company to look you up, as social media keeps going from strength to strength, I don't see anything wrong with a company looking you up on FB or asking to see your stuff - but not physically accessing it through your password.

Oh I've also seen companies really starting to get hot on linkedin as well, in uni (and a few others uni I have friends at) we've had to make a compulsory account and we've actually been graded as part of our final mark in a module based on it (I believe up to 7% could be awarded which is huge).

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I've heard that this happens before and honestly it seems kinda crazy to me. Has anyone here actually been asked for their social media passwords by an interviewer before?
    When I was a corporate recruiter I would ask about social media, but never for passwords. Usually it would be along the lines of "do you use social media, and if you do what types?"

You're not required to answer, but it definitely looks negative if you do not.

Now before everyone starts whining at me, we ask for good reason.

If someone links their employer on social media, and does some questionable things on their off time (BLM protests etc etc) it can put the company in a negative light, even if the persons actions have nothing to do with their employer, people still make that negative association.

I personally would look at peoples social media to help determine what kind of person that they are and measure their character. Typically someone can put on a very good impression in a job interview and be a complete dickbag IRL.

People may think it's unfair, but when I need to hire someone, I make sure the candidate is a person of good moral character as well as capable of the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    I have to call bull shit to number 1 asking for your password, they have no grounds to do that.

I've known people to be asked make it non private, I've known for jobs to ask for a Facebook link (some even do twitter now) and its generally a accepted practice for a company to look you up, as social media keeps going from strength to strength, I don't see anything wrong with a company looking you up on FB or asking to see your stuff - but not physically accessing it through your password.

Oh I've also seen companies really starting to get hot on linkedin as well, in uni (and a few others uni I have friends at) we've had to make a compulsory account and we've actually been graded as part of our final mark in a module based on it (I believe up to 7% could be awarded which is huge).
    LinkedIn is a fantastic business social media site that can put you in contact with some great people. The impact of professional networking can never be overstated.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm constantly provided evidence that I live in some kind of a mystical bubble; This article is yet another example to throw on the already large heap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post

Basic common sense isn't exactly basic....or common as a matter of fact.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I'm constantly provided evidence that I live in some kind of a mystical bubble; This article is yet another example to throw on the already large heap.
    Why?

10char

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    If common sense was common, it would just be called "sense"

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    It was a nice sentiment from the OP. I just dont think the advice was very good or that specific to job hunting and was just general life rules when making new relationships.

The writer probably did a "10 things only smart people do" article fluff piece after this

My gut doesn't like this thread.

/walks away

Re #9 - this so much depends on the company whether you do this or not.

Where I work, and I've been there more than a few years, I have only met one person who was there for an interview - comments later from supervisors were that it was weird and awkward that somebody even said Hi to a candidate.

Deleted
    I personally would look at peoples social media to help determine what kind of person that they are and measure their character.
    So what if it's someone that has everything locked down? I think if a non-friend looks at my page, they can only see my profile photo (which is just my face) and my cover photo (which is just a part of a famous photograph I like). It's never come up while I was working, but I'm curious anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why?

10char
    I hear about these weird hiring practices off and on, or interview horror situations, but in my 32 years in the job market I've never once experienced them.

Of the things listed in the OP:
    I have experienced "radio silence" after an interview, but, I consider that par for the course.
    I've never asked or been asked for social media related information of any type and definitely never for a password.
    I haven't experienced any of the other situations listed.

I am in no way saying the items listed in the OP don't happen. I just have never experienced anything like it, or even close. I chalk it up to living in a "bubble". A safe warm cozy bubble created by an environment that has had, except for a couple years, a very VERY pro-employee job market.

Edit:
    Don't confuse what I said above with the reality presented by the polarized right on forums like mmo-c. California does indeed suck. The job market is horrible. Policies (political, economic, social, environmental) are way out of whack. If you don't live here, you don't want to live here. Please, move along, nothing worth while to see here at all.
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-12-28 at 01:58 AM.