Poll: Should the rest of the United States adopt Ranked-Choice Voting?

Follow Maine's Example?

Something I've been meaning to bring up for a while, but am now finally getting to it. During the election, Maine changed how voting will work calling it "Ranked-Choice Voting," where people can vote for candidates in order of preference, making sure a vote isn't "wasted" if you cast it for a third party. Personally, I think this could be a big step in breaking the two party system, and put some fear into democrat and republican politicians. This alone outweighs and potential disadvantages in my opinion. I would like to know others thoughts on it though.

Here's a link talking about it some: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us...ting.html?_r=0
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ranked ballots are a step up from FPTP but still not by much. They tend to be biased towards centrist parties. I'm more of a fan of MMP voting. Though I guess MMP wouldn't really work for US presidential elections.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

This is also known as a Single Transferable Vote, in my country of New Zealand. In our local election, ie city council, health board etc, this system is used, whereas our national elections ask voters to nominate a local candidate and a political party.

I like the idea of it, but I've not really seen any hard data to show its efficacy.

Anything would be better than your electoral college, wouldn't it?

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Not gonna close this one. Yeah, there's another thread about it, but it's far enough back that a new thread isn't cluttering the first page. Feel free to look at previous discussion, though.

We (the UK) had a referendum on the Alternative Vote system in 2011, a particularly refreshing display of government and media telling us all that it was too complicated a system and we were all too stupid to figure it out.

Ideally countries would adopt proportional representation if they wanted to more accurately reflect the views of their people. Ultimately it leaves people dissatisfied as it more often than not would rely on coalitions to get laws passed, you know how people can be about compromise though.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I think that it would improve the position of many third parties, which I am definitely for.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

Hmm... its like someone made a video about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    Something I've been meaning to bring up for a while, but am now finally getting to it. During the election, Maine changed how voting will work calling it "Ranked-Choice Voting," where people can vote for candidates in order of preference, making sure a vote isn't "wasted" if you cast it for a third party. Personally, I think this could be a big step in breaking the two party system, and put some fear into democrat and republican politicians. This alone outweighs and potential disadvantages in my opinion. I would like to know others thoughts on it though.

Here's a link talking about it some: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/03/us...ting.html?_r=0

Can be done at state level, not for president considering how you have to amend the constitution and all.
    How to tell if somebody learned World Geography in school or from SNL:
    "GIBSON: What insight into Russian actions, particularly in the last couple of weeks, does the proximity of the state give you?
    PALIN: They're our next door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."
    SNL: Can't be Diomede Islands, say her backyard instead.