Page 50 of 95 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray_Matter View Post
    From the thread that I linked:

Silicon Lottery:

Ryzen 7 1700
    93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Ryzen 7 1700X
    100% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.360V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    77% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.392V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    33% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.424V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Ryzen 7 1800X
    97% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.376V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    67% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    20% reach 4.1GHz @ 1.440V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    Right was just curious if he set manual volts or offset, ill be trying to hit 3.8 on all cores with lowest voltage possible. Also the article i saw had all 10 1700's hit 3.8 with 1.25v.

Deleted
    From the thread that I linked:

Silicon Lottery:

Ryzen 7 1700
    93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Ryzen 7 1700X
    100% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.360V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    77% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.392V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    33% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.424V CPU VCORE (Or less)

Ryzen 7 1800X
    97% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.376V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    67% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.408V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    20% reach 4.1GHz @ 1.440V CPU VCORE (Or less)
    Meanwhile my 5960x at 4.5ghz runs at 1.3v - That's some terrible voltages for a low clock speed.

Then again it's AMD. Always slow and always hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    I don't think different coolers will produce much different results. The only exception is water cooling, and yes custom loop type water cooling.

From what I've been told, only tools supplied by motherboard makers has accurate temperature results. Things like HW Monitor do not yet support RyZen.

What happens exactly?

I wouldn't expect anything different, since Blizzard really needs to update their game engine. RyZen, 6600K, or even an i3 would benefit having a game engine that can utilize more threads.
    No. Blizzard works together with Intel and Nvidia when it comes to drivers, or well Nvidia and Intel work with them.

AMD receives little support from the gaming publishers in general, hence why they'll never beat Nvidia+Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Meanwhile my 5960x at 4.5ghz runs at 1.3v - That's some terrible voltages for a low clock speed.

- - - Updated - - -

No. Blizzard works together with Intel and Nvidia when it comes to drivers, or well Nvidia and Intel work with them.

AMD receives little support from the gaming publishers in general, hence why they'll never beat Nvidia+Intel.
    Not 4.5 on air and not 300$.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Well, woo, i was right.

No reason to exist as they are nothing special for gaming apart from making Intel lower the prices to 3 years ago values, but its the best thing that could ever happen to someone that needs them for work related/creation things.

And of course for everyone that is on the band wagon to Intel hate for the last years.

Now all that is left is the R5 series and R3 to see how they are doing, being 5% behind while also being 50 euro less in total is a no brainer for people that are under a budget.

I just hope single core will be the same as R7 for the R5 and be barely behind and not more than 5%.
    Their gaming issue is largely due to one thing, single-threaded performance.
    They excel when something is heavily multi-threaded.
    I still think games are sorely lagging behind the technology, reliant more on brute force to drive them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Roidzilla View Post
    Not 4.5 on air and not 300$.
    Don't forget the 65W vs 140W TDP.

It depends on how often you upgrade. My upgrades are much further apart these days so I have to look to the future. I used to upgrade every year but no longer have that luxury.
    My point is that unless a 1700 is much better than what you are currently using there is no point in buying one hoping that it will be better than what you are using in the future. Then it's better to wait and spend the same amount of money for a Ryzen 2 which has been confirmed for early 2018. At that time motherboards will be fixed, the windows scheduler will be improved and AMD will have fixed some of the kinks of the Ryzen cards.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that why AMD already has 300+ game devs currently working with them in regards to their new chips? And expect that number to increase to ~1000?

- - - Updated - - -

That article isnt correct, most 1700's hit 3.8ghz with 1.25v or lower.

Link:
    http://oc.jagatreview.com/2017/03/ov...-ryzen-7-1700/
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-03-10 at 01:05 AM.

- - - Updated - - -

It is 2 extra cores, it is going to run hotter.

Whether you go with AMD or not this chip is a god send. Intel is already slashing prices.

Consumers have been getting gouged since the Athlon run ended.

I'll trade 5% clock speed for 33% more cores and 50% less money any day.

If you run virtual machines then the choice is a no brainer, 2 extra cores is huge.

Terrible for intel maybe? I hate to break it to you but you cant directly compare the voltage of two completely different architectures(and brands). But hey if that helps you justify double the price for the same performance in your own mind then more power to ya. People focus way to much on max FPS. I have seen a ton of real world game tests showing that Ryzen in lots of games actually has a higher min fps as well as a more steady fps range than intels whole line up.

Ill gladly take less dips in frame rate over a handful of extra max fps any day of the week. I am running a haswell i5 at 4.5 before I get branded a AMD fanboy.

Deleted
    i try to never buy anything AMD related again. Less Money ? More Money ? i dont give a Shit... its just Money that i cant take with me to the Grave anyway
    Last edited by mmoceff7c3a265; 2017-03-10 at 12:36 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have tried everything. @ Fascinate yes of course I always use manual, even if Im not overclocking, no sense in extra heat.

I tried 4.0 at 1.385, 1.4, 1.425, 1.45 and stopped there, people have run them up to 1.5 but thats just to much to me, I don't want to kill it overtime for 100MHz. I also tried offset voltage with llc off, but thats about where I have ended as this board doesn't give you a lot of OC options like a X370, theres no BCLK settings or other voltage offerings.

For the price I paid for this board ($109), I can truly say that I think I got the best OC that this board can put out for my individual chip, we all know its a lottery. If there was a MSI Titanium available when I got this chip I would have bought it.

I did order a 1700 non X today just to see where it lands in all of this and I will use the 1700x on a x370 board.

I will wait to buy a X370 when more offerings become available, if nothing strikes my fancy I am going to get the MSI X370 Titanium as I truly think that board will be a good OCer, when I got this setup the Tomahawk was all that was available and its not a bad board for the price, it is secksie as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    My point is that unless a 1700 is much better than what you are currently using there is no point in buying one hoping that it will be better than what you are using in the future. Then it's better to wait and spend the same amount of money for a Ryzen 2 which has been confirmed for early 2018. At that time motherboards will be fixed, the windows scheduler will be improved and AMD will have fixed some of the kinks of the Ryzen cards.
    Oh, I agree. That's obviously a decision that everyone will have to make. When do they upgrade. Some people might be want to "upgrade" if they have a 7700K and others might want to "upgrade" from a 8088 processor. Each person will have a different idea although I doubt people would exist on those 2 extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I have tried everything. @ Fascinate yes of course I always use manual, even if Im not overclocking, no sense in extra heat.

I tried 4.0 at 1.385, 1.4, 1.425, 1.45 and stopped there, people have run them up to 1.5 but thats just to much to me, I don't want to kill it overtime for 100MHz. I also tried offset voltage with llc off, but thats about where I have ended as this board doesn't give you a lot of OC options like a X370, theres no BCLK settings or other voltage offerings.

For the price I paid for this board ($109), I can truly say that I think I got the best OC that this board can put out for my individual chip, we all know its a lottery. If there was a MSI Titanium available when I got this chip I would have bought it.

I did order a 1700 non X today just to see where it lands in all of this and I will use the 1700x on a x370 board.

I will wait to buy a X370 when more offerings become available, if nothing strikes my fancy I am going to get the MSI X370 Titanium as I truly think that board will be a good OCer, when I got this setup the Tomahawk was all that was available and its not a bad board for the price, it is secksie as hell.
    Nice dude. When you do manual voltage does it stay there at all times? If you set manual voltage+windows balanced power plan will volts come down at idle? Im kinda anal about high volts at idle, so i think i will use offset for mine if thats the case.

This is the x370 i got for my 1700:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157769

Its been out of stock the entire time, i got lucky two nights ago and grabbed it before anyone else could lol. Im sure i coulda got away with a b350 board, but the AC wireless card will actually come in handy as i use bluetooth to sync stuff.

over 1.4V is already too much for 24/7 use

IIRC AMD doe not recommned going over 1.365V for long term OC on Zen (but up to 1.39-1.40V is probably ok-ish)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Krais View Post
    Terrible for intel maybe? I hate to break it to you but you cant directly compare the voltage of two completely different architectures(and brands). But hey if that helps you justify double the price for the same performance in your own mind then more power to ya. People focus way to much on max FPS. I have seen a ton of real world game tests showing that Ryzen in lots of games actually has a higher min fps as well as a more steady fps range than intels whole line up.

Ill gladly take less dips in frame rate over a handful of extra max fps any day of the week. I am running a haswell i5 at 4.5 before I get branded a AMD fanboy.
    This is a valid point. These Ryzen cpu's do run very smooth in games. I played BF1 today, WoW and for shits and giggles City Skylines. It does not get better fps than my 6700k, but it does get better minimums and they really do run very smooth.

I have been on Intel for 8 years and have 4 Intel PCs in my house and 3 at my office, I am in no way a AMD fanboy, however, I am liking these Ryzen cpus, even with the stupid little issues they have as we wait for Bios Updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

IIRC AMD doe not recommned going over 1.365V for long term OC on Zen (but up to 1.39-1.40V is probably ok-ish)
    My plan is to do 3.8@1.25 with stock cooler, and from everything im reading it should be a-ok.

I played BF1 today, WoW and for shits and giggles City Skylines. It does not get better fps than my 6700k, but it does get better minimums
    its quite impossible for a 4.0 or sub-4.0 Zen to get better minimums in WoW than a 6700K .. esp if the 6700K is OCed

in BF1 MP maybe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Nice dude. When you do manual voltage does it stay there at all times? If you set manual voltage+windows balanced power plan will volts come down at idle? Im kinda anal about high volts at idle, so i think i will use offset for mine if thats the case.

This is the x370 i got for my 1700:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813157769

Its been out of stock the entire time, i got lucky two nights ago and grabbed it before anyone else could lol. Im sure i coulda got away with a b350 board, but the AC wireless card will actually come in handy as i use bluetooth to sync stuff.
    I have balanced off, Im on High Performance and it would still fluxuate. (I never use balanced except office machines)

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post

I agree, I left it at the 3.9 just so I could stay under 1.35 and it runs really well. I am really impressed with this chip and it can only get better with updates. maybe we get a bios update that will provide more stability on OCing.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    I have balanced off, Im on High Performance and it would still fluxuate. (I never use balanced except office machines)

I agree, I left it at the 3.9 just so I could stay under 1.35 and it runs really well. I am really impressed with this chip and it can only get better with updates. maybe we get a bios update that will provide more stability on OCing.
    Sweet, ill prob use high performance plan as well then.