10+ Year Old Account

Older setup, worth upgrading?

Hey folks. I used to work for TigerDirect in retail and kept up to date on hardware but now I'm pretty out of it. I have a 4930k, 16gb @1866 and a 970 with a few ssds. I really just play wow, hots, and some overwatch. Is it worth upgrading to a newer cpu/gpu and ddr4?

that is still a great setup IF you are not going above 1080 resolution.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apeiiron View Post
    Hey folks. I used to work for TigerDirect in retail and kept up to date on hardware but now I'm pretty out of it. I have a 4930k, 16gb @1866 and a 970 with a few ssds. I really just play wow, hots, and some overwatch. Is it worth upgrading to a newer cpu/gpu and ddr4?
    Only the GPU is worth upgrading if you desire to play new AAA-games in higher than 1080p resolution.

Please ignore @khazmodan his statement as it's INCREDIBLY incorrect.
    That CPU will last for quite some time to come easily on any resolution and if you want more performance you simply slap an overclock on it.

Most can be pushed to 4,6GHz without issue so long as you don't have some panzy ass PSU or CPU cooler.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Only the GPU is worth upgrading if you desire to play new AAA-games in higher than 1080p resolution.

That CPU will last for quite some time to come easily on any resolution and if you want more performance you simply slap an overclock on it.

Most can be pushed to 4,6GHz without issue so long as you don't have some panzy ass PSU or CPU cooler.
    i have an h110 in push pull but havent bothered oc'ing much. video card is blower style as i needed a quick replacement for a bad 780 awhile back. its cool i can keep it around without wasting money

10+ Year Old Account
    That feeling when someone says a setup is 'old' and it's significantly better than your own T_T

I wouldn't bother upgrading for those games, really.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post

first you agree with me on GPU upgrade if you want to play higher than 1080 then you say to ignore my statement...I didn't say the cpu was bad I just said that the system as it stands is going to struggle above 1080 which it will. If you try to run that video card on an ultrawide or 4k monitor it is going to have a hell of a time trying to keep up...kind of like you at understanding the real meaning of statements.

Not really worth upgrading... yet. Look into overclocking your cpu to ~4.5ghz (or maybe more if your silicon lottery game is strong) for now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by khazmodan View Post
    first you agree with me on GPU upgrade if you want to play higher than 1080 then you say to ignore my statement...I didn't say the cpu was bad I just said that the system as it stands is going to struggle above 1080 which it will. If you try to run that video card on an ultrawide or 4k monitor it is going to have a hell of a time trying to keep up...kind of like you at understanding the real meaning of statements.
    I'm pretty sure you edited that statement before the forum flagged it as read leaving no edit marks behind.
    Pretty sure it stated you said to upgrade CPU, Mobo and GPU unless intending to remain @ 1080p making the statement incredibly bad advice.

However ... on the off chance my memory is playing with me, which would be a first, I could apologize if a moderator finds no historical changes.