HPally - needing some help on Stats and Improvement

Hey Guys,

I made a post on the wow forums, but I'm hoping to find some more guidance here:

So, I see everywhere on every guide crit is king:

Intellect > Crit > Versatility > Mastery > Haste

I seem to be really low on mastery, and I don't know how to fix that. I've been studying logs a lot, and seeing how paladins are healing. It seems like I'm doing the right ratio of heals. But, I'm just not healing as much. When I look up these pallies, they are at roughly 39% crit and 35-45% mastery.

Am I wrong here thinking my mastery is just flat out too low? I don't even know where to look.

I feel like most of the pieces I find are haste/crit. I think I need to start replacing those.

I can have up to 46% crit with my in bag gear, but, using the spreadsheet this gives me way more healing. I'm not sure if sacred shielding is the end all/be all.

But, after spending like 6 hours messing around with it this netted me like 385k HP's in theory....the more crit pieces that I have lowers me down and down. I end up at a theoretical 349k hps. Due to the much lower ilevel and lack of intellect.

Here I am last night with this set up - I'll admit I was derping around, a lot.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...e-done&fight=1

I also got bugged on Xavius and never lost corruption stacks when coming out of the dream - so I got MC'ed. Really was weird.

Here are some logs from earlier with some of the different gear I was running with 46% crit:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/npHcXgYrQ6Dh3MWL

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/WLRPJhcNwy4fTDqA

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...ealing&fight=1

Then I look at pallies like the one who quit my new guild who's blowing me out of the water - our heal ratio seems about the same % wise, but I admit I'm not so good at reading the logs and digesting it the way some others do.

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...2&type=healing

His name is Stermes - he looks like a beast. But he sits at 38% crit and 46% mastery but his gear looks like all RNG luck drops?

I'd appreciate some help - I'm trying to dive into Mythic and I'd like to improve and not just be decent, I'd like to be GOOD. I do have the neck, belt, and hands for legendary options. The spreadsheet said the hands were the biggest upgrade. I tried plugging in the neck and it showed a 5k HPS loss....

I'll bite.

I'm not claiming to be cutting edge progression or have perfect play. I just play in semi casual guild with old friends from vanilla, but I'm a nerd with logs so I try to do my best. warcraftlogs.com/rankings/character/17186059/10/#metric=hps

In terms of stat priorities there is not static numbers that are accurate for every fight. In general crit is very good for every style of fight for paladin. In general versatility is close to int for every fight. Mastery is amazing, basically as good as crit if everyone you are healing is within 10 yards, but scales down the more spread out a fight is. Haste is amazing in fights where only heal per second matters and is literally worthless in fights where running out of mana is an actual issue(paladin is very efficient so there are very few of those).

In terms of what that means to me philosophically, mastery is absolutely fine on fights where paladin is already good, but on fights that paladin is bad for(spread out fights) it becomes TERRIBLE. Same concept is true for haste, albeit is different encounters. So the general idea is to prioritize acquiring crit int and versa gear and only using haste or mastery if you don't have a better option. Totally fine to keep multiple pieces of gear in your bags if you have items of similar item level. Haste is great on shorter fights or anything you have on farm status where mana isnt an issue. Swapping out for mastery on any long duration mana intense fight.

I run my own spreadsheet, that is based on my own historical numbers for things like overhealing, these are the numbers I have for stats:

stat HPS HPM AVG
    Intellect 1.00 1.00 1.00
    Critical Strike 1.15 1.22 1.19
    Haste 1.39 0 0.65
    Mastery 0.95 0.95 0.95
    Versatility 0.99 0.99 0.99

Looking at your logs, first thing is comparing on a fight like xavius is a bit weird and can give vastly different results depending on when/if you get good sleeps and max out the resource bar. I prefer to compare to fights that are more standard like ursoc or maybe nythendra.

Your more recent logs are not using advanced mode so I cannot see your gear or talents.

Your Nov 2nd log does have your gear and talents your's
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/MFAGkWQD34jHvpPB#fight=1&type=healing
    Compared to mine of a similar time period
    Nov 5th
    warcraftlogs.com/reports/dcT4bX6Ya789n23k#fight=2&type=healing

I clearly outgear you so that is a huge difference. Secondary stats are ballpark similar, but I have way more int. Although I'm wearing 2 int trinkets to your none so that is a lot of the reason for that big of the gap on int. The gap wouldn't be as bad but have no enchants. You are missing 200 int, 300 mastery, and 400 crit. That combined is approx 3% healing. You are using 300 crit food instead of 375, and you are doing the fight without a flask. That accounts for another ~4% healing loss. It looks like you have the legendary shoulders now, but did not have it on this log. That accounts for about 3% healing difference on this fight for me.

First big problem, is that you are using beacon of the lightbringer. The only fight in EN that I wouldn't use beacon of faith on is dragons. The mastery buff is not enough to make up for losing 32% of your healing being reflected onto the 2nd tank. Faith isn't as good on nythendra as it is on fights like ursoc, but it is still clearly better

Also you are using Unbreakable Spirit. That talent has no reason to be taken in current raiding for a holy paladin. Use Rule of law it boosts the range of your mastery by 50% and has a max uptime of 33%. I macro it with other CDs and use it to great effect on a fight like nythendra where people are often very spread out. That talent alone is worth 3-5% healing.

I like judgement of light on that fight(everyone is always taking tiny bits of damage), but sanctified wrath is a perfectly fine choice for that fight.

In terms of casts. You never use the artifact weapon, Tyr's Deliverance. It is manaless and smart heals. Use it in combination with Rule of law while casting flash of lights and there is a very decent chance that it will tick on your target to give +20% heal modifier. Ideally using it on CD(I'm not perfect here, I only cast 2 when I should have got 3 or 4)

Ideally you never cast holy light. I mean you should, since you ran out of mana, but ideally you should never run out of mana in the first place. Definitely get mana potion to use, another reason that I like judgement of light is that it is quite a bit of healing(and some damage) and only costs 6,600 mana.

You never use divine protection(I only used once, so once again not perfect myself), but ideally you use it any time you get rot to reduce the overall amount of healing required in the raid.

Summary estimates, I think you are healing for ~70% of near-max potential on that fight
    ~15% to being behind in gear
    ~ 5% to not using proper consumables or having enchants
    ~ 3% to having no legendaries(could be higher if I was comparing to someone with the ring and shoulders)
    ~ 5-8% from poor talent choices
    ~ 1-3% to not using a potion and resorting to holy lights
    ~ 5% from not using tyrs deliverance
    +5% over me for better actual playstyle when it comes to using faith and shock on CD. I struggle with getting too spamming with FOL.

Looking at ursoc I see similar reasons for the differences. Not having faith is super big deal on ursoc, but rule of law matters less on this fight. You are using holy lights when you end the fight at 30% mana without using a potion. If you have free time to do nothing and mana isn't an issue, don't holy light. Flash and then add damage. Make sure to use Tyrs

Side note on paladin trinket selection. Arcano is great I would use that for a long time, but I really dislike proc trinkets. I don't think any of the proc trinkets are worth wearing for paladin over a stat trinket of same item level(excluding haste stat trinkets). A lot of proc trinkets proc at the wrong time and go to waste, but also base stats scale each other as well as scale with beacon, procs typically do not.