Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Dutch schools remove Israel / Palestine conflict from history exams

https://www.examenblad.nl/document/b...denis_vmbo.pdf

According to new documents, the Ministry of Education in Holland plans to remove the topic of the Israel and Palestine conflict from the history books. While still available for pick, they are no longer part of the central exams which means most schools will choose not to talk about it. The reason for this: The Israel vs Palestine conflict is becoming more and more difficult to talk about during history classes, and schools are worried certain students will flunk (which costs schools money) due to the feels and different opinions certain people have about this conflict.

Should a government step in and erase certain conflicts from history lessons because it might upset certain people? Should we deny history because of feels? Or should history be thought, without fear of angry students and parents who have a different opinion on the matter?

Deleted
    Somehow I have some suspects on which students would create problems with this topic...
    Last edited by mmocf6d86e87f9; 2016-12-18 at 08:03 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    can't really post on this topic , since once side oppresses the other so much it makes sense that they would petition to remove all evidence of this from history once they eventually get rid of them completely

I guess as it's an on-going conflict it makes sense not to teach it as history just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a ton of polarizing topics like this that schools either leave out or gloss over. To be honest as far as Israel/Palestine I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. It's a tough topic to be "right" on for an exam if there's any subjectivity open in the answers.

Deleted
    Eh, it's not the first thing history lessons have left out. Our schools don't even teach about the Rwandan genocide.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the conflict has existed for decades, if not hundreds of years, and hasn't ended yet, it isn't exactly history yet.

Deleted
    Jesus christ, some people.......

Can you please read your flipping source before you make flipping stupid statements?

I doubt you even read dutch, but if you did you could literally control-f your source, find the word ''palestina'' and then read that it was moved from the central exam to the school exam.

The school exam is ABSOLUTELY NOT VOLUNTARY, since it makes up 50% of your final grade.
    The only difference is that the central exam is standardised for everyone, which makes the government ask the questions, whereas the school exam the teachers can decide how the material is tested.

Nothing in the rapport you linked actually talks about ''feels'' or whatever type of argument you are bringing up for why the government would do this so I guess that closes this thread.

./thread

I have already never had it at my school. There are more important things to focus on in the history subject.

Deleted

OP cannot read

Geez, the OP just cannot read. It has been moved, not removed. If only the OP was removed from these forums.....

Quote: Het verrijkingsdeel 'Het ontstaan en de gevolgen van de brandhaard Israël/Palestina' is geen onderdeel meer van het centraal examen, maar heeft een plaats gekregen in het schoolexamen als exameneenheid ‘Het conflict tussen Israël en de Arabische wereld’.
    Last edited by mmoc8430f26b5b; 2016-12-18 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added quote from source

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised they covered it in the first place, there have been so many more important conflicts throughout history and resources are limited in education, that you could just give it a very brief paragraph or two.

You could just cover everything from the late 60s/early 70s until now with "Conflict is still ongoing, both sides are dickheads."

There's so much stuff in history they can't cover it all anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Considering the conflict has existed for decades, if not hundreds of years, and hasn't ended yet, it isn't exactly history yet.
    ???????????????????????????????

Are you real?

You state that the conflict has been ongoing for decades if not 100s of years and you say it's NOT part of history? WHAT?
    That is the definition of a historical conflict. Just because it's still ongoing doesn't mean that it's history simply doesn't exist. I...eugh...you're doing a special kind of thinking that involves not thinking but instead just unthinking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angita View Post
    Geez, the OP just cannot read. It has been moved, not removed. If only the OP was removed from these forums.....

Quote: Het verrijkingsdeel 'Het ontstaan en de gevolgen van de brandhaard Israël/Palestina' is geen onderdeel meer van het centraal examen, maar heeft een plaats gekregen in het schoolexamen als exameneenheid ‘Het conflict tussen Israël en de Arabische wereld’.
    Imagine, people on this forum reading and not misinterpreting or misrepresenting foreign news to fit some personal opinion... That'd be a great, wonderful time.
    Until then, you'll keep seeing these ignorant sods grabbing shit htey don't understand to spew their ignorant bile about it.

Sorry about my extreme sarcasm. I'm just pretty sick of threads like these where people do just what I've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodgoy View Post
    Somehow I have some suspects on which students would create problems with this topic...
    We don't teach the Civil Rights Movement in the U.S. because it upsets people. Ironically, the same people who would be angry about this are the same ones angry about teaching the CRM accurately.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    ? Jews and Arabs were at peace in the 1910's mostly. And the 500 years before that. It was after the Balfour Declaration and the second Aliyah in the 1920's where tons of European zionist jews immigrated to Palestine that the conflict really began.

Ok, I find this slightly interesting, but until someone translates this, I think it means that the Israel-Palestine conflict is removed from the exam. Doesn't the exams change every year though? I don't really see the big deal. That something isn't going to be in an exam one year doesn't mean that it's removed from the curriculum. Or am I missing something here? I'm not exactly familiar with the Dutch educational system, so some more info on this would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDonald View Post
    https://www.examenblad.nl/document/b...denis_vmbo.pdf

According to new documents, the Ministry of Education in Holland plans to remove the topic of the Israel and Palestine conflict from the history books. While still available for pick, they are no longer part of the central exams which means most schools will choose not to talk about it. The reason for this: The Israel vs Palestine conflict is becoming more and more difficult to talk about during history classes, and schools are worried certain students will flunk (which costs schools money) due to the feels and different opinions certain people have about this conflict.

Should a government step in and erase certain conflicts from history lessons because it might upset certain people? Should we deny history because of feels? Or should history be thought, without fear of angry students and parents who have a different opinion on the matter?
    Dictators gonna dictate. /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    We don't teach the Civil Rights Movement in the U.S. because it upsets people. Ironically, the same people who would be angry about this are the same ones angry about teaching the CRM accurately.
    Not sure what school you went to, but my history courses in high school covered the civil rights movement.

Also, to all the idiots in these replies - history is about telling what happened, not judging what happened. It's entirely possible to teach the history of the Israel-Palestine conflict without leaning to one side or the other. You PERSONALLY may be pro israel or pro palestine, but stating the history of the conflict and allowing students to draw their own conclusions is what teachers are supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    The civil rights movement is part of the common core. What are you on about? Were you home schooled or something?