Question Hard drive capacity drop after firmware update.

Good evening.
    I have 2 st1000dm003 seagate drives in good health which I was planning to run in raid. Initially both showed the same capacity of 1.00TB/931.51GiB. Firmware for the first one is AP18 (apple) and the second one was CC44. So the second one I updated to CC49 (which was the recommended update) and it changed the capacity to 997.93TB/929.39GiB.

While the loss is minuscule - I was still curious - but could not find anything online on the issue. Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you format it?
    It could be a simple display error, a system reserved hidden partition or sectors might have been reallocated/marked pending/uncorrectable. Did you check S.M.A.R.T. status?

No secondary partitions, SMART was green and no bad sectors before or after firmware update. I was trying to locate some actual documentation relating to cc49 firmware but no luck on that front either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Given that (and no documentation to speak of), best guess is more went towards reserve sectors honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    It's not ethical to expose people's faults. Only scumbags and bitches do that.
    The right thing would be to try to stop the behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What's wrong with him buying a home? Please don't pry into others' lives and make judgements.

Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    Given that (and no documentation to speak of), best guess is more went towards reserve sectors honestly.
    Seems like the most logical conclusion. Thanks.