Starting up a frost mage as a raiding alt (Glacial Spike Questions)

Hi ive been lvling a frost mage with the intention using it as a raiding alt, and i am a bit confused as to how to build/progress/gear as one.

The majority of the guides i have seen, including the one stickied on here have recommended a Thermal Void/Comet Storm build for single target/ aoe, disregarding Glacial Spike as a worthless talent.

However, there are many logs on mythic EN and ToV where high ranking frost mages are using glacial spike, to the point where actually there seems to be a larger amount of glacial spike users then Thermal Void.

Does this simply mean that the idea that Glacial Spike was mediocre is simply a misconception? Many guides have stated that glacial spike actually LOWERS dps when picked. Is this simply ppl simming Glacial Spike on Thermal Void Builds where mastery has lowest priority, whereas a glacial spike build might actually prioritize mastery?

In addition to this, with a glacial spike build what is the specific stat weights? what are the cutoffs? I am assuming very high mastery and crit as the players that a logging high numbers have glacial spike dealing more than 50% of their total dmg.

Furthermore, does the intention of running a glacial spike build change the artifact progression tree? Traditionally when it comes to golden traits it has been "It's Cold Outside" , "Chilled to the Core", "Black Ice". Would the intention of playing a Glacial Spike Mage from the start alter this progression at all? possibly prioritizing "Black Ice" first?

It only came to surface because the sky is falling in ptr for fire mages and now people are scrambling to find a viable spec. GS was always known, but fire just over shadows it in its current state.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mhaps View Post
    Hi ive been lvling a frost mage with the intention using it as a raiding alt, and i am a bit confused as to how to build/progress/gear as one.

The majority of the guides i have seen, including the one stickied on here have recommended a Thermal Void/Comet Storm build for single target/ aoe, disregarding Glacial Spike as a worthless talent.

However, there are many logs on mythic EN and ToV where high ranking frost mages are using glacial spike, to the point where actually there seems to be a larger amount of glacial spike users then Thermal Void.

Does this simply mean that the idea that Glacial Spike was mediocre is simply a misconception? Many guides have stated that glacial spike actually LOWERS dps when picked. Is this simply ppl simming Glacial Spike on Thermal Void Builds where mastery has lowest priority, whereas a glacial spike build might actually prioritize mastery?

In addition to this, with a glacial spike build what is the specific stat weights? what are the cutoffs? I am assuming very high mastery and crit as the players that a logging high numbers have glacial spike dealing more than 50% of their total dmg.

Furthermore, does the intention of running a glacial spike build change the artifact progression tree? Traditionally when it comes to golden traits it has been "It's Cold Outside" , "Chilled to the Core", "Black Ice". Would the intention of playing a Glacial Spike Mage from the start alter this progression at all? possibly prioritizing "Black Ice" first?
    check GS build guide on altered time, everything was explained here: stat prio, artifact, rotation