Heroic Helya 12 Man tips (870 ilvl average)

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...B#type=summary

Best attempt, 67%, wipe 9.

Now, I understand why we are wiping and what people are dying to which can be fixed. So this is less "why are we wiping" and more....what could we do to make this fight easier on our selves before it potentially becomes a wall?

Okay so guild finally made it to Heroic Helya, and frankly it seems rather tough with a small raid size that is very melee heavy, we only have 2 ranged dps and 3 healers, one of whom is a HPala so they count as melee. Now, 17 wipes on it is nothing. More that I thought that it might be wise to get some tips or extra strategies because I'm not too proud to beg.

We ended up discarding our strategy from Normal where you split the ranged into two columns and the breath goes down the middle as it was causing issues with dispelling because healers were almost always being targeted by orbs, so the taint would murder the melee.

So our current strategy is to spread out across most of the room, with the tanks aiming the breath to the left, incrementally aiming it further to the right each time for the blobs.

Off Tanks are to preemptively get to the back of the room so that their Orb spawns in a safe zone and is negated as a thing we need to deal with.

All in all we found that this was a whole lot smoother than our original strategy, but it just feels so on a knife edge all the time. I don't know if we're just not using a great strategy and that's harming us. I am aware that execution needs to be better. However, given how awkward Odyn was pre-nerf(but we did do it and it was a damn close to flawless execution with no one even dying, but even then it felt ass clenchingly close), I kind of feel like this might having a little bit of a tuning issue for such a small raid size. I know p2 got nerfed but we're not even making it that far.

I have faith in our guild because we did Heroic Blackhand with an even more awkward set up (4 total ranged is fucking awful on that fight), but I certainly don't think its a bad idea to get some tips from people who have downed it with a small raid size. Being far too prepared is being way better than being under prepared.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by elvor0; 2016-12-10 at 11:36 AM.

Unfortunately Helya is one of those fights that are easier with more people. You get 3 debuffs no matter the raid size so 3 dispellers are a minimum. You also need a bunch of ranged/healers with immunities to soak the tentacles in the back room.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Unfortunately Helya is one of those fights that are easier with more people. You get 3 debuffs no matter the raid size so 3 dispellers are a minimum. You also need a bunch of ranged/healers with immunities to soak the tentacles in the back room.
    Although a minimum of 3 healers is a good idea, you by no means need multiple immunities. We just group soak all of the tentacles except the one which has a breath straight after.

Oh we're doing fine with the tentacles, our Mage is on duty to iceblock it when it needs to be done alongside adds or whatever and the ranged are fine soaking it otherwise, front ones are easy, plus we have two Paladins for bop/bubble in case of emergency. They're pretty much the easiest thing in the whole fight I feel.

We have 3 healers but I feel like 4 would be way overkill, especially as we'd be losing our Enhancement shaman for that 4th. But then we haven't gotten to phase 2 yet so I'm not sure what the adds are like in that phase. On normal they're a joke to be sure but heroic? I have no idea what sort of dps they require.
    Last edited by elvor0; 2016-12-10 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by elvor0 View Post
    Oh we're doing fine with the tentacles, our Mage is on duty to iceblock it when it needs to be done alongside adds or whatever and the ranged are fine soaking it otherwise, front ones are easy, plus we have two Paladins for bop/bubble in case of emergency. They're pretty much the easiest thing in the whole fight I feel.

We have 3 healers but I feel like 4 would be way overkill, especially as we'd be losing our Enhancement shaman for that 4th. But then we haven't gotten to phase 2 yet so I'm not sure what the adds are like in that phase. On normal they're a joke to be sure but heroic? I have no idea what sort of dps they require.
    Yes but the encounter does require a few things. Doing it with 10 players and only melee dps I would say is close to impossible until you out gear it by a huge margin.

Yes but the encounter does require a few things. Doing it with 10 players and only melee dps I would say is close to impossible until you out gear it by a huge margin.
    Quite, we only have 2 ranged and recruitment has been horrible recently. I've chewed through quite a few ranged recruits recently, none of them even knew their rotations or were even capable of hitting double digits or past 20% or avoiding shit after tutelage on even the most basic fights. So unfortunately he we are with 2 ranged dps.
    Last edited by elvor0; 2016-12-10 at 02:30 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by elvor0 View Post
    Quite, we only have 2 ranged and recruitment has been horrible recently. I've chewed through quite a few ranged recruits recently, none of them even knew their rotations or were even capable of hitting double digits or past 20% or avoiding shit after tutelage on even the most basic fights. So unfortunately he we are with 2 ranged dps.
    I understand it is a tough position, but you will have a very hard time doing helya with your current lineup. Even after the 2 nerfs she got recently.

In p2, you need to be able to kill the adds in time (multidotting/high aoe classes is nice here). While they got nerfed alot in HP, I am worried you will won't have enough overall dps. Either way, you should have your warlock rolling Doom on as many targets is optimal, because there will be plenty of long living targets.

We did (with 16 people at the time) the 3 tentacles in the back, and when Grimelord was around 40% (and Marine dead) the wave would hit, and we stack up on left side and AoE adds + kill upstairs tentacle. Then kill 2 tentacles in the back (below), kill Marine+Grime and stack for AoE. If you lack dps at this point, you can offtank the Grimelord below and kill the remaining tentacles. You really need to phase into p3 after 2 add waves, the third one has some very bad timings.

You also need to stick with 3 healers with your current raid size, which causes even more trouble as you get 3 debuffs even then. If you would be able to get 3 ranged dps, and have your enh shaman go healing, you would be in a much better position. This is the dmg you will take when you get orbs+dispels at the same time will be very hard to deal with.

When you enter p3, Time Warp and try to do as much dmg as possible. It is possible to kite the orb on top of already corrupted ground, which gives you more space to deal with the reset of the things.

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    I understand it is a tough position, but you will have a very hard time doing helya with your current lineup. Even after the 2 nerfs she got recently.
    Oh I know, I have no doubts it will be tough. That's why I wanted to get as many tips as humanly possible in the event anyone with a similar set up has managed it and is hanging around here. I'm under know illusions that we aren't going to have to fight tooth and nail to kill it and it will not be fast. But I have faith and trust my raiders to see it through. Finding ranged this expansion has been an absolute nightmare. Decent ranged even worse. All we can do is try and push for recruitment and hope that we get someone that can step up to the plate on Helya. We killed Odyn pre nerf against many odds, and we'll damn well kill Helya too, difficulty be damned.

In p2, you need to be able to kill the adds in time (multidotting/high aoe classes is nice here). While they got nerfed alot in HP, I am worried you will won't have enough overall dps. Either way, you should have your warlock rolling Doom on as many targets is optimal, because there will be plenty of long living targets.
    How much extra health would you say the adds have in p2 compared to normal? Because they die laughably easy on normal and we certainly never have an issue with them. Warlock knows what to do. He's essentially our trump card. I don't really like leaning on him as it promotes using him as a crutch, but this is a guy who more or less never goes below legendary, he knows what he's doing.

We did (with 16 people at the time) the 3 tentacles in the back, and when Grimelord was around 40% (and Marine dead) the wave would hit, and we stack up on left side and AoE adds + kill upstairs tentacle. Then kill 2 tentacles in the back (below), kill Marine+Grime and stack for AoE. If you lack dps at this point, you can offtank the Grimelord below and kill the remaining tentacles. You really need to phase into p3 after 2 add waves, the third one has some very bad timings.
    Okay cheers, I'll keep the timings in mind with forward planning.

Looking at logs of other smaller raids with very similar setup, their plan, which we plan on doing was dps tentacles next to helya, eat the first waves, then cleave down the big adds next to the triple tentacles regardless of whether the Helya tentacles are dead or not then move up left, wipe out the adds on the stairs so it gets washed away then upper left upper right, finish off the ones next to Helya.

You also need to stick with 3 healers with your current raid size, which causes even more trouble as you get 3 debuffs even then. If you would be able to get 3 ranged dps, and have your enh shaman go healing, you would be in a much better position. This is the dmg you will take when you get orbs+dispels at the same time will be very hard to deal with.
    Are you suggesting one of the healers go DPS and then have the Enhancement Shaman go healing? Because that could work.... Although we are in the process of helping one of the warriors gear his Spriest for the fight so that would tip the balance a little bit.

Group finder 10 more people.

Seriously. The fight gets massively easier when a small % of your raid is running away from orbs in phase 3.