10+ Year Old Account

Interactive Map Shows the Cheapest Type of Power Plant to Build

This one’s for the energy nerds out there. The University of Texas Austin’s Energy Institute has put out an incredibly useful interactive map showing what types of power plants are cheapest to build in every county in the continental United States.

New Coal fired plants are the most expensive to build anywhere.
    For nuclear power to be more competitive, it needs serious cost reductions
    Natural Gas and Solar Power are the winners if you want cheap power

Wind and solar are a joke and huge waste of taxpayer money.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Wind and solar are a joke and huge waste of taxpayer money.
    Wind is a failure. Solar is the future. But it needs tech to get there, that's a ways off.
    Right now in the US we have actual mountains of coal. And plenty of Natural gas to make sure it combusts fully, as well as the tech to catch 99% of the So2 Co2 yadda yadda pollution generated. ( I have one nearby I toured two weeks ago, in my Environmental Sci, Air Quality class. even my 60 yr old ex hippie professor who set the trip up was impressed with it. It can be done right. They really do have it to the point it's the cleanest thing we have, and will keep us going for the next century while developments come in solar.

As for cars, we are in the same situation. The hybrids do well. My old man who gives no cares about the environment only dollars and cents has a full sized ram to tow his camper ( he hardly drives) but drives a Prius daily. because it makes sense. We have billions of barrels in the US and offshore , that will carry us, again until technology and the free market get us there. I think we'll see improvements from guys like Elon Musk, who is pushing for (yuck) self driving cars, but has a space program that will help push the tech side along, It's going to be an interesting century.

Quote Originally Posted by Dsc View Post
    Wind is a failure. Solar is the future. But it needs tech to get there, that's a ways off.
    Right now in the US we have actual mountains of coal. And plenty of Natural gas to make sure it combusts fully, as well as the tech to catch 99% of the So2 Co2 yadda yadda pollution generated. ( I have one nearby I toured two weeks ago, in my Environmental Sci, Air Quality class. even my 60 yr old ex hippie professor who set the trip up was impressed with it. It can be done right. They really do have it to the point it's the cleanest thing we have, and will keep us going for the next century while developments come in solar.

As for cars, we are in the same situation. The hybrids do well. My old man who gives no cares about the environment only dollars and cents has a full sized ram to tow his camper ( he hardly drives) but drives a Prius daily. because it makes sense. We have billions of barrels in the US and offshore , that will carry us, again until technology and the free market get us there. I think we'll see improvements from guys like Elon Musk, who is pushing for (yuck) self driving cars, but has a space program that will help push the tech side along, It's going to be an interesting century.
    Natural gas yes. A big factor why all the power plants in CA were converted to natural gas. I think CA is down to one coal power plant. Natural gas plants do run clean.

Coal has no future right now. There is no clean coal power plant in operation in the US right now. Feel free to look.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wind is a failure.
    How is wind a "failure"? More than 15% of Ontario's power is produced by wind turbines. The tech's already there to make it cost-effective and functional, and it's already being implemented pretty broadly around the word.

Wind is a failure. Solar is the future.
    Wind power in Denmark. ... Wind power produced the equivalent of 42.1% of Denmark's total electricity consumption in 2015, increased from 33% in 2013, and 39% in 2014. In 2012 the Danish government adopted a plan to increase the share of electricity production from wind to 50% by 2020, and to 84% in 2035.

Solar power in Germany consists almost exclusively of photovoltaics (PV) and accounted for an estimated 6.2 to 6.9 percent of the country's net-electricity generation in 2014.

China is actually ahead of everyone on the basis of pure production of solar and wind, disregarding consumption.

You guys are living in the past. And by the past I mean 2 years ago . Take a look around things are changing fast. A few countries have gone several days operating only on 100% renewable. Costa Rica went 100 days! Obviously larger countries won't be able to do that yet but it's coming.