Deleted

Guidance for a total lore noob.

Hi all.

I'd quite like to make a start on reading about the lore of the Warcraft universe.

Can anyone point me to a logical starting point in the form of an online resource? E.g. wow.gamepedia?

If that is the best resource for me to use, what would be the natural starting point. For example, I wound up reading about Deathwing and the dragon aspects which led to reading about Galakrond as their starting point. What would you advise as the best jumping off point for a "general" approach?

Many thanks in advance.

Hal

Well. I started out playing through warcraft 3, and its lore.
    I think that there really isn't any "starting point" allthough reading up on the Burning Legion, Founding of the Horde and the Scourge are probably places you could start with.
    The books always helps, and I think the Chronicles has got alot of lore regarding most everything in it.

Last edited by Yizu; 2016-12-09 at 10:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    My advice would be to first read "Chronicle Vol. 1," the current and official history of the Warcraft universe. Building on that you can use WoWPedia to read up on the various quest-chains and also the Warcraft novels and other written materials listed here.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    There's already a thread on this with lots of info, including a reading order for all the books if that interests you.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...t-all-the-lore

Quote Originally Posted by Halgalad View Post
    Hi all.

I'd quite like to make a start on reading about the lore of the Warcraft universe.

Can anyone point me to a logical starting point in the form of an online resource? E.g. wow.gamepedia?

If that is the best resource for me to use, what would be the natural starting point. For example, I wound up reading about Deathwing and the dragon aspects which led to reading about Galakrond as their starting point. What would you advise as the best jumping off point for a "general" approach?

Many thanks in advance.

Hal
    There's not a really good starting point but you can start where the story is simple. Warcraft 1.

You don't need to play it at all, You just need to read from Wowpedia until you finish Warcraft 3's Undead campaign. Next, Start learning about the War of the Ancients and all the events surround the nelves prior to Warcraft 1.

Once you learn the story of the nelves, Go finish W3 Story up. Then start playing WoW and a lot of the lore is in game from there. Touch up on some of the books aswell.

There are several books like Chronicles 1+2 that I wouldn't dwelve into until you get the general story of the Warcraft Universe. Chronicles does a good job for starting but ITS WAY TOO much to take in without general knowledge of characters/people as Chronicles 1 has ALL OF THIS

The creation of the universe.
    The Void, the Twisting Nether and the relationship between them.
    The birth, biology and names of demons.
    Demons predating Sargeras.
    Whether Sargeras is a demon or not and what changed his physical appearance and if he has any demonic titanic watchers.
    All types of magic, energies and forces
    Magic (its definition, categories and types) like Fel and death magic.
    Forces such as the Light as well as their acts such as healing and resurrection.
    The Old Gods' original forces, also known as the Black Empire.
    The numbers of the Old Gods.
    The mantid.
    If Old Gods are undead.
    The titans and where they come from.
    Whether they are angels.
    The titanic watchers such as Tyr, Ra-den and Algalon the Observer.
    The Dragon Aspects.
    Whether or not the trolls are creations of the Old Gods.
    Night elves, their empire, cities, and traditions.
    Use of arcane magic in night elven society
    Queen Azshara and the rise of the night elf empire as well as the origin of the elves. However, leaders before Azshara are not be included.
    Tyrande, Malfurion, and Illidan
    Suramar
    The Well of Eternity.
    How Elune and the Earth Mother relate to mortal cultures.
    Background of the tauren.
    The first druids (Malfurion and tauren).
    While possessing Saidan Dathrohan, Balnazzar was stuck between worlds of living and dead. What exactly it means will be understandable after reading the book.
    Council of Tirisfal
    Government of the Arathor Empire.
    War of the Three Hammers.
    History and culture of the Seven Kingdoms (not in great detail).
    Dwarves (with focus on the three main clans) and vrykul.
    King Ymiron, alongside vrykul clans.
    Nerubians.
    Naaru
    Hakkar the Soulflayer (not his origins).
    Infernals and their position in demon hierarchy.
    Wrathguards
    The origin of goblins, as well as most of the other playable races, though some get a more in-depth explanation than others.
    Spirit of Life, mortality and immortality.
    What is under Tirisfal Glades.
    Early humans discovering the Light, as well as some information about the Brotherhood of Northshire.
    The fate of Tyr in the Storm Peaks.

(All of this is from wowpedia)

ALL of this in one book, isn't that a little insane?

Edit: Nobbel gives a pretty good lore explanations and I love his videos. Don't watch him tired or he might lull you to sleep with his majestic voice.
    Last edited by thesentinelblue; 2016-12-12 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Nobbel

Deleted
    That is fabulous, thank you all very much for your help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Halgalad View Post
    That is fabulous, thank you all very much for your help
    This was nice too! Enjoy the lore!

- - - Updated - - -

And yes, Nobbel87, Krucial and Doronsmovies are great channels on youtube when it comes to lore. Order pizza and check them out! ^_^

Deleted
    http://imgur.com/gallery/lWZqA

Several chapters, very in depth and well written.

Read "Chronicles", Subscribe to Nobbel on Youtube, bookmark Wowpedia.