Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    the entire game has always been about RNG. its what keeps the playerbase coming back. we're all kind of addicted to slot machines, but this type of addiction is pixels rolling made up stats etc.
    Fair point, but I don't think we've ever had this much opportunity for "bad" RNG than we have in Legion. Using your slot machine example, it would be like putting a quarter into a slot machine and not winning, to putting a quarter into a slot machine and not winning and the slot machine punches you in the face.

WoW 2 will not happen, just look at last 3 games from Blizzard, none of them are that big ass projects. Blizzard is on the simple game with microtransaction wagon, and they aren't getting off it anytime soon.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    I don't think that a WoW 2 would make good sales, at all. Far too many people are invested into current WoW, and many would rather continue with what they have and spent years building up than start fresh, wiping all of their hard-earned characters for new ones. WoW is also currently demonstrating that it is still a formidable and viable contender in the MMO marketplace despite being over a decade old and having the most subscribers of anyone in genre all this time.

Simply put, there is no reason to make a WoW 2 with WoW doing as well as it is. All they would accomplish is fracturing their own intellectual property and severing themselves from their long-term paying clientele. It's not only foolish for them to attempt, but it would be devastating to their fiances and could potentially permanently cripple the IP of WoW to a state of disrepair that it would never recover from.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

EverQuest 2 is a study in how a sequel splits your fan base and weakens both games in the process. I don't see WoW 2 happening anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Anecdotal observation of your friends quitting =/= vast number of players "moving on".
    Love the world anecdotal being thrown around here like its nothing. Anyway, you can't prove, nor can you disprove, the notion that people are quitting or moving on. Blizzard doesn't release sub numbers anymore, so all we can do is guess, and looking at the state of the game now, I would definitely say it's in steep decline. Can I prove that? Nope.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    EverQuest 2 is a study in how a sequel splits your fan base and weakens both games in the process. I don't see WoW 2 happening anytime soon.
    ^this qft

Also how would you ever, even if you are blizzard get a new game out with that much polish, content and "depth".
    There is a reason they went through the, as I imagine, tedious process of upgrading graphics models (and I expect netcode + engine) etc. and not invest that time and material in a new game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly can't see how a WoW 2 would be any different than the current version. All I see is "modern" visuals and perhaps an updated engine. The game would still have quests, raids, dungeons etc

Umm, we dont need WoW 2 we need a fucking vanilla server.... and no im not going to play on a private server because my shit can be deleted at any moment.

I personally don't think we will see a WoW 2 until way after WoW has died off. I am thinking late 2020's if MMO's are even a thing then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless they fuck up big time and pull of something like Square did with A Realm Reborn i doubt we'd see a WoW 2.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Umm, we dont need WoW 2 we need a fucking vanilla server.... and no im not going to play on a private server because my shit can be deleted at any moment.
    Yeah, I am the same way but not because it can be deleted but because how sketchy they can be.

Deleted
    Just need to adapt the old Jeff Kaplan philosophy, which probably got changed during the activision merge when all the policies started changing, hence he decided to make different games as i bet he knew this crap going on today would happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapped View Post
    Love the world anecdotal being thrown around here like its nothing. Anyway, you can't prove, nor can you disprove, the notion that people are quitting or moving on. Blizzard doesn't release sub numbers anymore, so all we can do is guess, and looking at the state of the game now, I would definitely say it's in steep decline. Can I prove that? Nope.
    You'd have a hard time proving that, agreed. You have nothing even hinting at that, really. People yelling the game's sinking has been the mantra of these boards since WoTLK, so there's no credibility in those "I feel and I watch others here feel the same"-statements anymore. Q3 was fine. You'll have to wait and see regarding Q4. Less mentions of WoW = something's amiss.

THERE WILL NEVER BE A WOW 2.

They will keep updating this game and updating this game. The next logical update is a whole world revamp with scaling. All of eastern kingdoms, kalimor, northrend and pandaland.

Go and do anything you want from level 1 to level XX. The whole world becomes end game content.

but here is hoping for wow 2...because that will break my addiction and i can walk away from this game forever. I am not a special snowflake ..there are more out there like me.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Insert any x-pac after WotLK here. Hell, during WotLk we had our share of how the game died with the Lich King....

"Glory days" - more like "less cycnical day without social media and a platform for everybody who can string three words together" - which usually are "lol", "this", "suxx" - and not necessarily in that order
    Cynicism aside... we know that WoW took a turn in a different direction around the time that Patch 3.2 was released. When you read about the glory days of WoW, that usually means the era before 4.0 - before the developers began compromising on their ideas in an attempt to justify their content to the players when, up until that point, it had been the players that wanted to work towards earning their new content.

Cataclysm, WoD and Legion all present a significant dip in the diversity of their content when compared to Vanilla, TBC and WOTLK. The only outlier in the post-4.0 era was MoP which offered so much to do that there were complaints about "having to do too much".

Of course, social media, SEO and all that jazz did make the world a significantly worse place but that doesn't mean that everything has suddenly become subjective.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    You'd have a hard time proving that, agreed. You have nothing even hinting at that, really. People yelling the game's sinking has been the mantra of these boards since WoTLK, so there's no credibility in those "I feel and I watch others here feel the same"-statements anymore. Q3 was fine. You'll have to wait and see regarding Q4. Less mentions of WoW = something's amiss.
    It's not difficult to see that the game's population is dropping, actually. The first sign of this is the WoW token prices, some of the increase can be attributed to them being useable for services in the future, but they've also mirrored the behavior of token prices during the end of WoD when nobody was playing. Same for the bonus bags in LFR/Dungeons, you see them quite frequently for DPS now which is something that we saw in WoD when the population was horrifically low. If you look in the group finder for Mythic dungeons you'll see that the number of those has dropped off dramatically as well - Are there a lot of them? yes .. but there are a lot fewer than their used to be, there's about 1/3 the amount of runs that you'd see a month or so ago.

I agree with most of your points OP.

Although i dont think they should stress to make wow2. They dont have the people for it anymore. The people that created games such as diablo2 and warcraft and wow have either left blizzard or are in a very high managerial position that has nothing to do with creating games anymore.

If you take OW as an example youll see what blizzard is actually capable of creating nowadays against its old epic games.

Actually I think "glory days" is the time when BT ended, because as far as I remember, the bitching started with the introduction of badge gear (and suddenly you could buy T6 equivalent gear without setting a foot into a raid)

Do developers want to "justify" their content? Is that the result of communicating with the players (no matter what you think of their communication)?: To me, what you call "...up until that point, it had been the players that wanted to work towards earning their new content" today is thrown at devs as the arrogance of "we know better" or "us vs them"
    You're in the ballpark; I can vividly remember all the whining over "welfare epics" from arenas, even though if you compared them to their raid tier equivalents, the raid gear provided higher dps through higher primary stats (str, agi, int), while the pvp gear favored more stamina. Then the whining shifted towards the badge gear, since it was a bit better for raiding/pve than the arena gear (but iirc that stuff took some serious grind to get, like 80 badges for pants/chest and a full Kara run was 22 badges).

Deleted
    I don't know.

MMO's seem kinda outdated I would guess a new Blizzard MMO would be completely different gameplay-wise

Actually I think "glory days" is the time when BT ended, because as far as I remember, the bitching started with the introduction of badge gear (and suddenly you could buy T6 equivalent gear without setting a foot into a raid)

Do developers want to "justify" their content? Is that the result of communicating with the players (no matter what you think of their communication)?: To me, what you call "...up until that point, it had been the players that wanted to work towards earning their new content" today is thrown at devs as the arrogance of "we know better" or "us vs them"
    I meant something more along the lines of: "we need to get more players to clear these instances at any cost". That philosophy began with 3.0 Naxxramas but didn't fully materialize until ICC when they added a stacking buff that increased the raid's health, healing and damage with each passing week.

As for dev arrogance... I think that it's the other way around... Blizzard caved, more and more, and the players grew arrogant as a result. Why work on jumping over a higher hurdle when you can demand that the bar be lowered? This is the assumption that has been shaping WoW for the last couple of years, I think.